Questions & Answers for AirPort Time Capsule - 2TB
578 Questions from the Community
Can I access my iTunes content that is stored on the time capsule using homesharing on iPad/iphone without my mac being turned on?
I currently use home sharing to access iTunes content on my iPad/iphone when at home. My mac has to be turned on to do this. If I purchase an airport time capsule will this mean I can access the content using homesharing on ipad/iphone that is backed up on the time capsule drive without the mac being turned on?
can I use this to backup my MacBook Pro and iPad and store my 24000 photos that are currently in iPhoto and are syncing on both my phone and computer?
No answers yet
When this product says that it will work with '50 User's' is that actual users or devices?
We have 15 iMacs here with multiple accounts on every mac, which with a rough calculation adds up to more than 50, does this product have the capability to do this? Also these iMacs are 2010 models, they are all for video editing as well so large files etc need a solution to back these 15 macs up.Answer
50 Wired and Wireless devices combined connected simultaneously. So if you somehow had 45 devices and 5 of your friends visited and used your WiFi; then they left and 5 more friends came over and used your WiFi you would be okay. Number of accounts on each mac is a different measurement not related to this. 50 simultaneous users is industry standard for a residential/small business router. You may actually quickly run low on space even with 3TB - which is not to say this isn't a great solution. Just that you may need to attach external hard drives to it for more storage. Something to keep in mind if sleekness is a priority. To me it's a bargain over a Drobo or NAS for Time Capsule backups. Hope this helps.
- Answered by Dave O from Tallmadge
- 05 1, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (When this product says that it will work with '50 User's' is that actual users or devices?)
Will this work with OS X 10.8.4?
- Asked by Lindsay F from Bensalem
- 09 3, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this work with OS X 10.8.4?)
Yes. Should be able to provide WIF to just about anything. Should be able to configure it on anything running 10.6.x and newer.
- Answered by Joey P from West Lafayette
- 11 13, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this work with OS X 10.8.4?)
Is there any way to set up a wireless guest network using the new AirPort TC if the AirPort TC must be configured as a bridge and not a router?
I have seen posts indicating that this is not possible with earlier AirPort Time Capsules (I have a 4th generation now), but I"m wondering if this setup is available with the new 2013 APTC? We have Verizon FiOS for both internet and TV. My understanding is that the Verizon router must be left configured as a router for our network, and not as a bridge, in order for our FiOS TV to function correctly. As a result, if I buy the new APTC, I must continue to configure the APTC as a bridge and use it only as a wireless access point, not a router. Any chance that I could set up a guest wireless network with this setup? Thanks in advance for the help.
- Asked by Maureen C from Brookeville
- 11 30, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there any way to set up a wireless guest network using the new AirPort TC if the AirPort TC must be configured as a bridge and not a router?)
No answers yet
Does the Time capsule have an active PFC?
I am looking for an uninterruptible power supply to keep my network up during power outages. One of the units will not work with Active PFC's - which the author notes is the type of power supply in newer computers.
Does anyone know what type of power supply unit the Time Capsule has (I have the 2 Tb unit - it is about 1 year old). model a1470
- Asked by Phil S from Worthington
- 01 24, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Time capsule have an active PFC?)
What is the Temperature specs?
- Asked by Richard G from Gilbert
- 02 12, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the Temperature specs?)
Will AirPort Time Capsule in the US work in the UK. If it works in the UK what do i need for it to work. Can i purchase in US and have deliver UK.Answer
Check the bottom of the device to see if its voltage input states 110-240V. If so, then simply change the plug to a UK cable one you arrive and all is good. Channel allocation for the wireless side over here does not really matter if your Time Capsule is still set to automatic.
Delivery address from the Apple Store US has to be to a domestic US address as far as I know.
- Answered by Matthew P from Shrewsbury
- 12 9, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will AirPort Time Capsule in the US work in the UK. If it works in the UK what do i need for it to work. Can i purchase in US and have deliver UK.)
Yes, you can hookup a USB hub to AirPort's USB port and connect more devices.
- Answered by Souheil M from Springfield
- 06 24, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I connect a 4-port USB hub to the newest (ac) time capsule to access my 4 USB drives?)
is the output ethernet signal from the time capsule slower than the input
The Input ethernet signal is over 50Mb/sec but the output signal from any of the three output jacks is around 10Mb/sec
- Asked by George S from Aptos
- 12 30, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (is the output ethernet signal from the time capsule slower than the input)
If I am understanding you, the question you are asking is if the signal sent out to the internet is always lower than the download signal from the internet. Short answer: YES. The upload/download speeds are determined by your internet service provider.
- Answered by Kent M from Tucson
- 01 7, 17
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (is the output ethernet signal from the time capsule slower than the input)
You could but unless you need some feature in the newer Time Capsule then that's probably not the most economical solution. You can add an external hard drive to your 1TB Time Capsule via the USB port.
- Answered by Colin L from Toronto
- 01 17, 16
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I own a 1TB time capsule and need more capacity. Do I buy the airport time capsule?)
I'm wondering if I can use this as a server for all my iTunes movies? I would need to be able to access the movies from Apple TV.
- Asked by Shira S from Eureka
- 09 18, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (I'm wondering if I can use this as a server for all my iTunes movies? I would need to be able to access the movies from Apple TV.)
No answers yet
Can AirPort Capsule be used as an external wireless hard drive separate to Time Machine?
Can AirPort Capsule be used as an external wireless hard drive separate to Time Machine? Meaning, can I save content directly to the Capsule, or does it only backup what is saved on my Mac device?
I am wanting to back up my computer via Time Machine, but there are things I would like to put onto a hard drive (hopefully Airport Capsule) but not leave on my computer.
Hope this makes sense
Yes your Time Uapsule will function as a backup drive with time machine as well as being able to save content directly to the same drive , However, you cannot include the stored information on the TC HD as part of your computer backup through time machine on your Mac.
hope this helps
- Answered by Simon C
- 01 31, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can AirPort Capsule be used as an external wireless hard drive separate to Time Machine?)
It backs up everything stored locally inside your computer.
Can I connect a Brother printer via USB to the Airport Time Capsule?
- Asked by Ed R from Wilmington
- 08 20, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect a Brother printer via USB to the Airport Time Capsule?)
Extending a wifi-network with TC
Beside using for backup purposes I'd also like to use the TC for extending my existing WI-FI network. The current router is located upstairs, I'd like to have another router downstairs, this would be the TC. For this I should be able to connect the TC to the existing WI-FI network. I googled this a little bit and found that it may be problematic but not impossible. Any experience with this kind of setup?
- Asked by Janos J
- 09 27, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Extending a wifi-network with TC)
When plugging in the TC and starting the admin program on your computer, your TC is listed Top Left in the "un-configured" units. Choose it and the admin program will scan your existing network for other Airport Extreme or Express units and propose to automatically extend your network.
Takes about 1 min to do and you have nothing to configure on your new unit, as all parameters are pulled from your existing AP.
- Answered by Frederic L
- 10 8, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Extending a wifi-network with TC)
Yes. I have my Airport Time Capsule (ATC) connected to my Time Warner provided modem via ethernet cable. Follow instructions that came with ATC. Works great. Allowed me to create and additional WI-FI network which I use exclusively for me and my ATC
- Answered by Angel G from Overland Park
- 08 5, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can the airport time capsule work simultaneously with a router from your local cable provider)
I am running Windows 8 which is similar to 7. I have my laptop doing an auto backup to the TC drive.
Go to Control panel - System and Security - and follow the prompts. ( select drive in TC etc.)
I mapped the TC data drive so Windows could connect at log on. Not sure if I needed to do that as well
Does the AirPort work with a Clear mobile hot spot?
- Asked by Sophie B from Philadelphia
- 06 27, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the AirPort work with a Clear mobile hot spot?)
Setup to security recorder by swann for camera security
Does the router have upnp this makes it easier to connect to the swann camera recorder?
- Asked by Dan P from Sacramento
- 02 8, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Setup to security recorder by swann for camera security)