Questions & Answers for AirPort Time Capsule - 2TB
542 Questions from the Community
Can I connect my 1st gen time capsule via Ethernet to a 3rd gen time capsule as well as a WD MyBook via USB to the 3rd gen time capsule?
I am thinking about getting the newest ATC 2 or 3 TB. I was hoping I could connect two older drives to the new device. 1. a 500 GB ATC via Ethernet and 2. a 250 GB WD My Book via USB. Or should I daisy chain the WD drive to the old ATC? If I can do this, should I turn off the WiFi signal in the old ATC?
- Asked by Ernest M from Lilburn
- 11 9, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect my 1st gen time capsule via Ethernet to a 3rd gen time capsule as well as a WD MyBook via USB to the 3rd gen time capsule?)
No answers yet
Is the TC MIMO compatible?
Have new iPad Air. Have read reviews that say it would benefit from MIMO-compatible router. Don't know what that is, but is the Time Capsule one of them? :-). Thanks!
- Asked by Lawrence S from Vestal
- 11 3, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the TC MIMO compatible?)
Can I use time capsule for photo storage right to photos program instead of paying for icloud monthly. We have a lot of photos, don't fill computer
- Asked by Greg F from Solana Beach
- 05 29, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use time capsule for photo storage right to photos program instead of paying for icloud monthly. We have a lot of photos, don't fill computer)
No answers yet
Extending a wifi-network with TC
Beside using for backup purposes I'd also like to use the TC for extending my existing WI-FI network. The current router is located upstairs, I'd like to have another router downstairs, this would be the TC. For this I should be able to connect the TC to the existing WI-FI network. I googled this a little bit and found that it may be problematic but not impossible. Any experience with this kind of setup?
- Asked by Janos J
- 09 27, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Extending a wifi-network with TC)
When plugging in the TC and starting the admin program on your computer, your TC is listed Top Left in the "un-configured" units. Choose it and the admin program will scan your existing network for other Airport Extreme or Express units and propose to automatically extend your network.
Takes about 1 min to do and you have nothing to configure on your new unit, as all parameters are pulled from your existing AP.
- Answered by Frederic L
- 10 8, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Extending a wifi-network with TC)
Squeezebox Support on Airport?
Does anyone know if an Airport Time Capsule would offer Squeezebox support? I'm considering moving from an all windows environment to an iMac with an Airport time capsule. Ideally I'd like to be able to access a music library from Squeezebox on an airport even with the iMac off. I realize there is Apple TV and the like, but I've got a good investment already in squeezebox devices and controllers I'd like to continue to use. Has anyone tried this before? Sorry, not very technical here so forgive me but from browsing the logitech site it looks like Squeezebox is incapable of connecting to N networks and we would need to change modem settings to B or G. I assume that is done at the wireless router and isn't any worse that what I have now? Any downsides here? Thanks everyone!
- Asked by Darren N from Sterling
- 03 22, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Squeezebox Support on Airport?)
does it have to be wireless ?
- Asked by Frank L from Racine
- 11 23, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (does it have to be wireless ?)
Speed concern when connecting Airport Time Capsule to a wireless N router
I have a 2wire 5012NV (wireless N) as main router. I would like to wirelessly bridge a 2TB Airport Time Capsule (wireless AC) to it.
Can I get AC speed when running time machine backup for my rMBP (wireless AC)?
How about attaching a NAS to the Time Capsule via Ethernet? What speed can I get if I want to access the NAS wirelessly? Does the transmission pass through the wirelss N main router?
- Asked by Fay Hong L from Singapore
- 04 4, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Speed concern when connecting Airport Time Capsule to a wireless N router)
I need a device to record movies from Apple TV and Netflix
- Asked by Adao M from York
- 04 21, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (I need a device to record movies from Apple TV and Netflix)
Neither of these services allows recording of their streaming content. The only way to capture that is using a screen-capture software which will give you very low resolution and possibly be a very unsatisfying experience overall.
- Answered by Liz M
- 04 30, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I need a device to record movies from Apple TV and Netflix)
Can I back up my PC to Time Capsule
I am slowly converting the house to Apple. I still have my last PC as my main home computer. It has the bulk of all my files, pictures, etc. Can I back it up to Time Capsule? I eventually will break that computer down as the kids get older and everyone ends up with laptops. Thanks for the help.
- Asked by Rocky L from Katy
- 08 21, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I back up my PC to Time Capsule)
is there any way to do archival storage ( storage to a drive which you store off-site in case of fire/flood/theft ), other than the woefully slow USB2Answer
You can mount is as a drive in Finder and so in turn can back it up using one of the commercial online backup providers (Crashplan, Mozy, Amazon, etc.)
Or if you have access to, say, a friend's network use free tools such as Rsync (I use the DropSync GUI, available from App Store) to automatically back it up.
I use both of these options for my critical data - cloud backup (guaranteed but slow) and Rsync to a Mac Mini server at a friend's house.
I'm wondering if I can use this as a server for all my iTunes movies? I would need to be able to access the movies from Apple TV.
- Asked by Shira S from Eureka
- 09 18, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (I'm wondering if I can use this as a server for all my iTunes movies? I would need to be able to access the movies from Apple TV.)
No answers yet
Does the latest Airport Time Capsule support VLAN IEEE 802.1Q?
I have been looking for some time to buy one of those, but my provider requires VLAN IEEE 802.1Q support for the router to connect TO the Optical Network Terminal. I saw many people in forums having issues on this sometime ago.
I don't want to use the router supplied by the provider as a bridge, as it just adds overheads.
- Asked by Frédéric T from Barcelona
- 09 3, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the latest Airport Time Capsule support VLAN IEEE 802.1Q?)
Does the Time Capsule spin down the hard disk while idle?
Does the Time Capsule spin down the hard disk while not performing a backup? During typical operating conditions, what is the duty cycle of the hard disk?
- Asked by Ben K from Vancouver
- 10 16, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Time Capsule spin down the hard disk while idle?)
Can I use Airport Express as router connected to modem and Time Capsule to extend wifi? Is that a sate of Time Capsule's capabilities?
Here's my dilemma: My modem, AirPort Express, and speakers are in my living room. The speakers are plugged into AirPort Express so I can play my music from any device. At the other end of the house is my study where I'd like to place the Time Capsule so that I can backup my laptop and so that I can extend the wifi signal in my house. Is that possible? And even if it is, am I wasting the Time Capsule's router capabilities by using the Express as the router and the Time Capsule as a means to extend signal?
And why on earth is Express the only router capable of connecting to speakers??
- Asked by Raul C from San Francisco
- 10 21, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use Airport Express as router connected to modem and Time Capsule to extend wifi? Is that a sate of Time Capsule's capabilities?)
Does Time Capsule perform backups while the computer is asleep?
- Asked by Wendy S from Grand Rapids
- 08 22, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Does Time Capsule perform backups while the computer is asleep?)
Can you view the files stored remotely?
If I store pictures off my phone and iPad can I view them when away from the wifi range.
- Asked by Kenny W from Mansfield
- 12 27, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you view the files stored remotely?)