Questions & Answers for AirPort Time Capsule - 2TB
539 Questions from the Community
If I use the AirPort Time Capsules as a File Server, can I then delete the media files (pictures) that are taking up disk space on my macbook air?
My macbook air is constantly giving me prompt that my disk space is full. So that is the main reason I bought a AirPort Time Capsule 2TB to move all my old pictures to the File Server in the AirPort. That's the way it was explained to me when I bought it at the Apple Store (georgetown location in DC).
So the way I plan on managing my files is to move all the older photos to AirPort Time Capsule File Server, delete the files on my macbook so I have a lot of memory/disk space as I travel (without worrying about losing my whole life's worth of pictures) and periodically do a media "dump" when it starts to take up too much disk space on my macbook.
This way I can continue to use my macbook (without buying a new one b/c of memory - sorry Apple).
Is this a good way to manage my media files and macbook?
Can I access my iTunes content that is stored on the time capsule using homesharing on iPad/iphone without my mac being turned on?
I currently use home sharing to access iTunes content on my iPad/iphone when at home. My mac has to be turned on to do this. If I purchase an airport time capsule will this mean I can access the content using homesharing on ipad/iphone that is backed up on the time capsule drive without the mac being turned on?
Can I access my data outside of my home?
- Asked by Okechukwu N from Suwanee
- 01 17, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I access my data outside of my home?)
CAN I CONNECT TWO TIME CAPSULES TO SAME WI-FI
- Asked by David K from Eldersburg
- 11 6, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (CAN I CONNECT TWO TIME CAPSULES TO SAME WI-FI)
Can I connect to a wifi broadband device
- Asked by Leah K from Heathcote
- 07 18, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect to a wifi broadband device)
Does the Time Capsule only work when plugged into a modem With WAN Port or does it work plugged into Ethernet port?
- Asked by Clifton R from Jacksonville
- 07 3, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Time Capsule only work when plugged into a modem With WAN Port or does it work plugged into Ethernet port?)
As a PC user wanting this is a router and an external hard drive. Is there any difference between this and the previous 2011 Time Capsule model?
I.e. will the differences in wireless speed be apparent on a PC.
Can I back up an externally connected disk?
If I connect an external disk to the TC via USB, can I backup that external disk to the TC? Specifically, I am trying to store my iPhoto library on the external disk so that multiple computers can share that one library and then have that one library be backed up to TC. Thanks!
- Asked by Sajid A from Fulton
- 09 3, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I back up an externally connected disk?)
I believe that in the Time Machine backup options, your external drives (connected to your Mac) are by default excluded but you can go and remove the exclusion, in the same way you can add them if you do not want to backup some work directory that has a great deal of updates that would fill up your backup disk.
- Answered by Frederic L
- 10 8, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I back up an externally connected disk?)
What kind of storage is inside? Is it SSD?
- Asked by Michael S
- 09 21, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (What kind of storage is inside? Is it SSD?)
Can I transfer data stored on my icloud to my time capsule? Or from my iphone to my Time Capsule?
My iphone has a lot of pictures on it and has run out of space, so I figured I would get icloud and back up to that and then delete the photo's from the phone. Well now my icloud account is getting to its limit and I was thinking why can't I just move all of my photos to my time capsule. However I can't seem to find a way to do that.
Do you know if there is an option to move the data from my icloud account to my time capsule?
And for future prevention of this issue, do you know if there is a way to move the pictures from the phone to the time capsule so that I don't have to fill up my icloud account?
- Asked by Jason S from Reno
- 02 20, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I transfer data stored on my icloud to my time capsule? Or from my iphone to my Time Capsule?)
will time machine back up my external hard drive as well as my internal drive?
I have the Mac Mini with SSD along with a thunderbolt external drive for my media. wiill time machine back up both?
- Asked by Timothy C from Prescott
- 03 11, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (will time machine back up my external hard drive as well as my internal drive?)
Do I need to connect the AirPort TC to the DSL or cable modem or can I just connect it to the wifi network? I only need it as an ext. hard drive atm.
- Asked by Bryony D from New Norfolk
- 06 23, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Do I need to connect the AirPort TC to the DSL or cable modem or can I just connect it to the wifi network? I only need it as an ext. hard drive atm.)
Can Time Capsule backup an external drive connected to the USB port?
I would like to connect a hard drive to the USB port of my AirPort Time Capsule for the purpose of providing a universal drive for movies and files shared by all computers on my wireless network. I am curious - can you select the drive plugged into the Time Capsule USB port to also be backed up by the Time Capsule itself? The reason I would want to do this is in the event that the external drive breaks, a copy of the files are on the Time Capsule itself.
- Asked by Galen H from New York
- 01 13, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can Time Capsule backup an external drive connected to the USB port?)
Can I Play Media VIA Time Capsule (Movies/Music) instead of storing on MacBook Pro.
Hi All ,
I own a 250gb HD Macbook Pro , Apple Airport Express & Apple TV (including iPhone 5 and 6 and iPad 2). I love the peace of mind watching my iTunes Library via apple TV.
My MacBook Pro is full and want to know if i can store files on the Time Capsule (Movies/Music) and access via apple TV... In a nutshell , can i play movie files from the Time Capsule. Because this will free up a lot of space on my hard drive.
I Also have Phillips Hue which is amazing.
- Asked by Samuel L from Clare
- 04 18, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I Play Media VIA Time Capsule (Movies/Music) instead of storing on MacBook Pro.)
I'm not sure if you can play from the Time Capsule but you can keep your iTunes library on the Time Capsule and you'll still have access to it with all you Apple IOS devices, including your AppleTV. So, if there's a movie you want to watch and don't want to stream it you can access from iTunes and download it onto your Mac/iPad/iPhone, etc and screen share it with your Apple TV. Alternatively, your iTunes library should be accessible from your Apple TV. I know all my movies show up automatically on mine. I've never checked the music library but I doubt it's a problem.
If you want to store your library on your Time Capsule, copy your iTunes folder from your Mac onto your TimeCapsule. Once you've done that you can have Time Capsule be the default home for your library by going into iTunes preferences/Advanced and change the location of your iTunes library to iTunes/iTunes Media folder on your Time Capsule.
Hope that helps
- Answered by Robert G from Anacortes
- 05 5, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I Play Media VIA Time Capsule (Movies/Music) instead of storing on MacBook Pro.)
What do the different model numbers mean
ME182B/A and MD033B/A what is the difference?
- Asked by Rosemary C
- 05 11, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (What do the different model numbers mean)