Questions & Answers for AirPort Time Capsule - 2TB
571 Questions from the Community
can the airport time capsule work with Sky fibre optic broadband in the UK and will it increase the Broadband signal compared to the Standard Sky Hub?Answer
In short no. Long answer is yes, but. Yes, but you'll need to extract your Sky broadband logon credentials from your existing Sky Hub. Search Google for "extracting username & password from Sky Hub". It's much less hassle to switch away to BT or Zen ;)
As to signal *anything* is stronger than the single channel Sky Hub...
Will my Mac automatically discover and disconnect from a Time Capsule as I arrive and leave from my apartment, and handle interrupted backups?
I'm hoping that the Time Capsule is a flexible backup option that doesn't require me to mount / unmount it as a drive every time I take my laptop on or off my home network. Does it work this way, or does it mount as a network drive which has to unmounted before you can depart? I'm hoping that automatic backups can be interrupted and retried the next time my computer connects to the capsule.
- Asked by Jonathan G from San Francisco
- 06 29, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Will my Mac automatically discover and disconnect from a Time Capsule as I arrive and leave from my apartment, and handle interrupted backups?)
Can you transfer backups from an older generation time capsule directly to latest time capsule?
I have one of the last generation Time Capsules that is currently backing up 5 macbook pros, can I transfer those backups directly to the new Time Capsule?
Without having to do a full backup from the individual machines?
- Asked by Anthony W from San Diego
- 10 9, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you transfer backups from an older generation time capsule directly to latest time capsule?)
I asked about migration of old backups when migrating from a previous version of Time Capsule. I was told (approx 11/2012) that there was no migration tool available. That leaves either creating totally new backups or dragging existing ones to the new drive. Can take hours.
- Answered by Jeffrey H from Loma Mar
- 12 17, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can you transfer backups from an older generation time capsule directly to latest time capsule?)
The time capsule does not officially support windows backup, although that is not always clear in the descriptions. The time capsule is formatted in such a way that both windows and Mac can access the hard drive over a network. When I was on windows vista it backed up perfectly, however windows 7 removed the ability to network backup. I have not since been able to find a program that will allow me to back up.
I now only back up the macs in the house and update any new photos/ videos on the time capsule. I use Dropbox for our documents, and so I have avoided needing to back up windows, which is generally quite a clunky experience anyway.
Hope this helps! Any questions feel free to ask
- Answered by Thomas A
- 09 21, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Why there is no mention of backup for Windows in the new version/model?)
What if the internal dive fails? 2 TB's of data is a lot to lose.
Is there a way to get the data written to the internal drive to make a second copy on another separate (USB?) disk, something not utilizing a raid controller or any kind?
- Asked by Rick B from Lakeland
- 06 14, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (What if the internal dive fails? 2 TB's of data is a lot to lose.)
How would I go about using a Time Capsule with Time Warner Cable?
They force you to rent one of their routers. Would I just connect the two using an ethernet cable? Would this affect the speed of Internet I get? And would it be silly to pay for Time Capsule if I already have to pay for a router? I know you get the backup capabilities, but having 2 devices for Wi-Fi seems unnecessary. I have all Apple products.
- Asked by Casey G from Louisville
- 06 2, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (How would I go about using a Time Capsule with Time Warner Cable?)
Unless Louisville has some strange setup, you can either rent or use your own router to connect to the Time Warner modem. You should be able to use your own modem also. There is a list of modems which are compatible with the cable company's system which is available on their website. Pretty much any router will work. Buying your own router and/or modem means there is an upfront cost vs paying a monthly rental fee. On the other hand if your rented equipment fails for whatever reason or Time Warner changes their cable box or DVR, they will replace it at no cost.
- Answered by David D from Milwaukee
- 07 18, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How would I go about using a Time Capsule with Time Warner Cable?)
To my knowledge there is not a way to backup your iPhone directly to the AirPort Time Capsule. There are, however, two ways to back up your iPhone.
1) iCloud. A wireless backup that stores data (photos, docs, contacts...) in iCloud.
2) iTunes. This can be done over a cable or over your wifi network, but this option does require an Mac or Windows computer with iTunes installed.
I hope this helped answer your question...
- Answered by David E from Ypsilanti
- 06 23, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use the Airport Time Capsule to backup my iPhone (photos/contacts/etc.) without using a computer?)
To see if your Mac supports 11ac, go to "about this mac" in the apple menu. Click "more info". Then click "system report". Go to "wifi". In "wifi" look at "interfaces". You should see "supported PHY modes". This will tell you whether your mac supports 802.11ac
- Answered by Jim G from Mesa
- 10 23, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How do I know if my 2011 purchased iMac will support 802.11 ac wireless?)
Is the time capsule hard drive ssa? Solid state flash?
- Asked by Michael S from Pleasant Hill
- 01 25, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the time capsule hard drive ssa? Solid state flash?)
No. The hard drive is around 7200 rpm normal SATA. If it is SSD, the airport would cost A LOT!!!!
- Answered by Michael L from Barrie
- 05 31, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is the time capsule hard drive ssa? Solid state flash?)
Can I backup my Time Capsule using Time Machine with an ethernet cord or USB cord instead of backing up wirelessly?
I am buying a steel gun safe that will prevent wireless access to my time capsule for backups, but it has a USB/Ethernet cable port that I could plug into my Mac from the safe. My questions is would I still be able to do the automatic backups using the hard wire (Ethernet/USB) or will time capsule only backup wirelessly?
- Asked by Courtney H from Pike Road
- 12 1, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I backup my Time Capsule using Time Machine with an ethernet cord or USB cord instead of backing up wirelessly?)
It does not matter if your connection to the Time Capsule is via ethernet or wireless. As long as the two devices are part of the same network your Mac will be able to see it and subsequently backup.
- Answered by Matthew P from Shrewsbury
- 12 9, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I backup my Time Capsule using Time Machine with an ethernet cord or USB cord instead of backing up wirelessly?)
I am not sure about android, but yes on Windows. To first access the Network attached storage from windows, you must download the airport support software from apple. You have to use the software to then login to the base station. once you have done this, the disk will appear under network devices and you can select it for backup through windows settings.
- Answered by Holly C from Corry
- 12 15, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use the AirPort Time Capsule to backup any devices (like PC Windows, smartphone Android) or just Apple devices?)
can i connect external HDD(seagate-2TB) to the Airport Time Capsule
- Asked by Vinay Krishna A from Hyderabad
- 06 19, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (can i connect external HDD(seagate-2TB) to the Airport Time Capsule)
Yes, you can. We plug a small portable HDD into the back via USB so we can take files and backups with us when we leave the house.
- Answered by Carrie S from Riverside
- 09 26, 16
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i connect external HDD(seagate-2TB) to the Airport Time Capsule)
How do I restore files from my AirPort Time Capsule to my MacBook? Can I restore selective files/software?
My hard drive crashed and I purchased a new MacBook Pro. I want to restore my documents from my latestAirPort Time Capsule backup and my quicken software and files but don't know how.
- Asked by H. W. A from Fairview Park
- 04 22, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (How do I restore files from my AirPort Time Capsule to my MacBook? Can I restore selective files/software?)
Hi Mr. H. W. A. , you can restore your files with Migration Assistant , to pen the Migration Assistant , go to Launchpad then Open the folder Other , then look for Migration Assistant and open it.
The Migration Assistant will start with a screen asking you how do you want to transfer your information from a Mac ,a Time Machine Backup or another disk(This is the default option)
Make sure that you are in the same network of the Time Capsule , then in the next screen select the Time Machine Backup disk(if you don't know , which one to choose , choose the disk with a green hard disk ,with a symbol of a arrow and in clock inside the arrow)
After you selected the time machie disk, the Migration Assistant will ask you to select witch backup you want to transfer, after the selection of the backup ,another screen will show up , asking to confirm what you would like to transfer from the backup
( The default option is everything, just a important thing , you can't select which documents&data ,you want to recover , but you can't do thus ,with apps and the Mac settings )
After you selected which information you want to recover ,select continue , and your Mac will ask if you want to encrypt your disk, this is important step ,because if you macbook is stolen ,nobody can access your information , ( i would recommend the encryption of your disk , the Mac may be slower ,but is better for security purpose)
After you select if you want FileVault or not , your information from the time capsule will began to restore
After this ,you can start using your Mac , with all your information previous from when the hard drive crashed
Sorry for the long Answer
- Answered by Stefano D from New York
- 05 27, 16
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How do I restore files from my AirPort Time Capsule to my MacBook? Can I restore selective files/software?)
I'm still on Snow Leopard OS on my Mac and want to use this new Time Capsule to do a full backup BEFORE upgrading to Mountain Lion OS X. Can I do it?
Snow Leopard compatibility / I have not any Mac running Mountain Lion yet
Yes you can. Also you can stream directly on Mac and iPhone/iPad via apps like Infuse.
- Answered by Faisal I from New York
- 03 15, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (what does the time capsule do? can i use this as an external hard drive to store movies on?)
Can I use the airport time capsule to also backup my iPad and iPhone
- Asked by Michael P from Valley Park
- 07 21, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the airport time capsule to also backup my iPad and iPhone)
Yes you can backup your iOS device, but only through your Mac. Backup your iOS device to your Mac regularly and backup your Mac to your Time Machine regularly. That is also free as opposed to buying iCloud storage for backups.
- Answered by Buford N from Renton
- 11 15, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use the airport time capsule to also backup my iPad and iPhone)
Can I use the time capsule as a iTunes server
- Asked by Carlos B from Rockaway
- 07 7, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the time capsule as a iTunes server)
can i create a home network (in order to extend by WiFi signal) by combining an airport time capsule and an airport extreme? Is it best to hardwire?
- Asked by Sahl S from Johns Creek
- 12 22, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (can i create a home network (in order to extend by WiFi signal) by combining an airport time capsule and an airport extreme? Is it best to hardwire?)
Yes, you can use an Airport Extreme (or Express) to extend the WiFi signal. You will get best performance if you connect them through Ethernet.
- Answered by Christoph R from Princeton
- 01 17, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i create a home network (in order to extend by WiFi signal) by combining an airport time capsule and an airport extreme? Is it best to hardwire?)
Is it possible to connect directly to internet if I plug the internet cable into the LAN on AirPort Extreme? I think the only way is to use the WAN.
No answers yet