Questions & Answers for AirPort Time Capsule - 2TB
557 Questions from the Community
Does 2013 Time Capsule support 5Ghz 802.11 'N' or is 5Ghz only for 'AC'?
I currently have no 802.11AC devices, and 2.4ghz is congested in my area.
Can I turn off 'AC' and use 5ghz frequency for 802.11N, so that my 3rd Gen iPad, iPhone 5 etc can connect on 5ghz band?
From what I've read, it looks like 2.4ghz is N and 5Ghz is AC, can this be changed?
- Asked by Isaac I from Pacific Pines
- 08 14, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Does 2013 Time Capsule support 5Ghz 802.11 'N' or is 5Ghz only for 'AC'?)
All wifi clients can use the 5ghz band for .n if it has a dual band wifi adapter which it sounds like you do.
- Answered by Tyler D from Sudbury
- 03 28, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does 2013 Time Capsule support 5Ghz 802.11 'N' or is 5Ghz only for 'AC'?)
Can the time capsule HD be partitioned
Can I partition the time capsule hard drive so I can use one partition for time machine backups and another for separate data storage?
- Asked by Neil S
- 06 23, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the time capsule HD be partitioned)
Is there a way to check the disk drive's condition or health?
The drive is starting to make some noise where it was virtually silent for three years. I'm concerned it might fail. I've restarted the drive a couple of times to verify the disk (as instructed by Apple) and no sign of a problem. Any suggestions?
- Asked by Bruce B from Westlake Village
- 08 17, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there a way to check the disk drive's condition or health?)
can I use a 3TB HDD to back up my airport time capsule 3TB?
- Asked by Thomas C K from Buckhannon
- 04 9, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (can I use a 3TB HDD to back up my airport time capsule 3TB?)
Is this compatible with the Arris SB6141 (SurfBoard)?
I just bought this modem, brand new, and I was told by Comcast that it isn't compatible with the AirPort Time Capsule 2TB because the time capsule is too "advanced" and / or "hi tech"....he didn't use that exact terminology but that's exactly what he was getting at.
Now, I'm not Steve Jobs or anything but I work in IT and have a masters in Information Systems. I'm just having a hard time believing this brand new, highly rated, extremely popular modem isn't compatible with such a popular Apple router.
Does anyone have a definitive answer for me? Many thanks in advance.
- Asked by Timothy M from Baltimore
- 03 18, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this compatible with the Arris SB6141 (SurfBoard)?)
I have the same modem and have had no issues with connectivity.
- Answered by Pamela H from Rocky Mount
- 05 21, 16
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is this compatible with the Arris SB6141 (SurfBoard)?)
I need a big storage for my Mac Air and my PC HP 1T dstktop. plus my wireless router is 4+ yrs old. Can i partion this hard drive to work with both?
- Asked by Jessica B from Junction City
- 08 2, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (I need a big storage for my Mac Air and my PC HP 1T dstktop. plus my wireless router is 4+ yrs old. Can i partion this hard drive to work with both?)
Windows 7 is not supported.
- Answered by Ruben G from Covina
- 06 23, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use this time capsule as a backup for both my Imac and PC running Windows 7? They are both on the same wifi network)
No, you can have the airports linked together by going to Airport Utility on your Mac and link it up. You don't need a cable. :)
- Answered by Michael L from Barrie
- 05 31, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (does multiple airports relay wifi signal around a large house/houses or do they need to be connected via cable?)
i already have the older 4th gen version of the time capsule. Can i transfer from the older version to the new version without losing any data ?
No answers yet
Can I combine two wifi routers
If I have a large home with two wifi routers, if I make one of them be the Airport Time capsule can I link the two together as one system with just one logon for wifi. Or I guess the question is can I make the other router a extension of the Airport Time capsule
- Asked by William S from Katy
- 10 16, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I combine two wifi routers)
Does Time Capsule have auto shut off?
Or does it run 24/7? If so, I would be concerned about the HD's longevitiy.
- Asked by Thomas T from Sausalito
- 08 6, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Does Time Capsule have auto shut off?)
can I use the time capsule as a NAS for Sonos, I currently have a WD NAS attached to my BT hub and ethernet from hub to sonos
Using as a Sonos library
Does the Time Capsule support link aggregation?
Is it possible to bond or link two or three of the Ethernet (not WAN) ports into a single link for increased bandwidth and access speed?
- Asked by Jordan H from Edmonton
- 03 9, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Time Capsule support link aggregation?)
Can I use my AirPort Time Capsule as a wireless access point?
My house is wired with ethernet jacks everywhere but my Xfinity router/cable modem combo isn't strong enough. I would like to know if I can set up the Time Capsule as a Wireless Access Point for the current network. As a separate question, I would also like to know how to set up the Time Capsule as a separate Wifi network in the house (new name/password) using the Airport Time Capsule. How do I do that as well?
- Asked by Jeffrey W from Los Altos
- 04 20, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use my AirPort Time Capsule as a wireless access point?)
is the drive in the time capsule sad or hdd
- Asked by Thomas B from West Easton
- 02 25, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (is the drive in the time capsule sad or hdd)
It's a 7200RPM HDD from Seagate I believe. Not sure on it's emotional state.
SSD is a total waste of money in this context. The SSD drive would be a Ferrari. The wireless network would be LA traffic.
- Answered by Brian F from San Diego
- 03 4, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (is the drive in the time capsule sad or hdd)
This depends on what your situation is. The Airport Express can be used as a Wi-Fi extender to improve the range of your wireless network. Yo can also hook up the Express to your stereo/speakers and use the AirPlay function.
- Answered by Robert B from Derby
- 12 29, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Do I still need my my Apple AirPort Express if I purchase a AirPort Time Capsule?)
Does the AirPort work with a Clear mobile hot spot?
- Asked by Sophie B from Philadelphia
- 06 27, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the AirPort work with a Clear mobile hot spot?)
Does AirPort Time Capsule - 2TB back up iPhoto
I have a macbook pro which I travel with and an iMac at home. So i end up with lots of photographs on both. Would be great if they were synced. I have had lots of trouble with iCloud and iphoto on both devices but no such issues with ipad and iphone.
Hopefully AirPort Time Capsule is the answer to my problems.
- Asked by Mark R
- 07 1, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Does AirPort Time Capsule - 2TB back up iPhoto)
Yes, but not manually merging the contents.
Apple Time Capsule (ATC) will back up files on a MacOSX system. I point that out because it only works with files, not making choices as to their contents. If those files include a user's "Pictures" directory (or wherever the user may have reconfigured the iPhoto folder(s)) then TimeMachine as a service will back up those iPhoto files to a TimeCapsule, but it doesn't do anything different with Photos than with Movies, Word Documents, or Garageband songs.
In your example, ATC would backup separate isolated backups of both Macs; this wouldn't give you the result of a single combined library, it would only give you the really great feeling of knowing your photos are securely preserved.
I think your best solution is a 3rd-party tool called "iPhoto Library Manager" by Fat Cat Software. This is a not-free product, and not supported by Apple of course, but I've used it very successfully to split libraries, and it offers the ability to merge content as well. This would be a manual action, but it has done a very good job of maintaining meta-data for me while it does its work.
- Answered by Allan C from White Rock
- 12 2, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does AirPort Time Capsule - 2TB back up iPhoto)