Questions & Answers for AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB
547 Questions from the Community
has ethernet cable connection between time capsule and imac priority over WIFI connection
At the time my iMac gets its Internet access over WLAN of a Router/modem.
The connection between airport TimeCapsule and the iMac is also wireless.
After updating to Sierra (coincidence?) I get very often the message that the backup on the TimeCapsule is corrupt, and time machine initiates a new backup. I want to try the next backup over a cable connection between the Computer and the TimeCapsule.
1. What happens if I connect my iMac 27 2012 to the Airport Time capsule per Ethernet cable, but the WLAN on the iMac remains active? Will the connection between the iMac and the TC be through cable or through WLAN?
2. Will the iMac WLAN function?
- Asked by Dimitar L
- 05 16, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (has ethernet cable connection between time capsule and imac priority over WIFI connection)
Can I connect a printer to my time capsule using WPS?
I have a Canon Pixma wireless printer that can only connect to WiFi via WPS. I have a Time Capsule 2TB router. I do not see a WPS button on it. Is there a way to trigger the WPS functionality via some other means? In other words: without using a USB cable, because that is connected to my wife's desktop PC, how can I virtually press a WPS button on my Time Capsule to connect the printer to my apple network?
- Asked by Bob R from West Valley City
- 07 5, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect a printer to my time capsule using WPS?)
Open the Airport Utility app on your Mac. Click on the Time Capsule that shows connected to the Internet, in the Airport Utility window once it is open. Just click the Time Capsule icon one time. Then on the menu bar click on Base Station and under that menu you will "Add WPS Printer."
- Answered by Aaron S from Independence
- 10 19, 16
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I connect a printer to my time capsule using WPS?)
Can I backup my iPhone with time capsule?
Using a home Wi-Fi, am I able to back up my apple device to the time capsule?
- Asked by Maurice J from Newark
- 08 14, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I backup my iPhone with time capsule?)
bad, no Apple APP existing to backup mobile devices at time capsule. .... many users asking for it.
iCloud is one way, .... but costs extra.
to backup ipad/iphone use iTunes, ... and than backup your mac at time capsule.
- Answered by Burckhard L
- 05 21, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I backup my iPhone with time capsule?)
Can I backup one Macbook Pro to two Time Capsules on same WiFi network?
I use Time Machine to backup my Macbook Pro onto a Time Capsule, which is also my WiFi router.
Thinking of buying a second Time Capsule, which I would use to extend my WiFi signal in the house.
If so, could I set Time Machine to backup my MacBook Pro onto both Time Capsules (so that I have a second backup disk, in case one Time Capsule fails..)?
- Asked by Dumitru Stefan R
- 07 11, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I backup one Macbook Pro to two Time Capsules on same WiFi network?)
Can I back up two separate Macs using Time Machine?
i.e. will it support two instances of Time Machine so both Macs can independently backup to the Time Capsule?
- Asked by Josh H
- 06 20, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I back up two separate Macs using Time Machine?)
Yes, the Time Capsule will do this without any setup differences of any kind. Once you establish a connection by entering in the Time Capsule's drive password, then the rest is just the same as backing up the first Mac.
I have two Macs that I am backing up, and found it incredibly simple.
- Answered by Shawn F from Riverside
- 07 23, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I back up two separate Macs using Time Machine?)
To see if your Mac supports 11ac, go to "about this mac" in the apple menu. Click "more info". Then click "system report". Go to "wifi". In "wifi" look at "interfaces". You should see "supported PHY modes". This will tell you whether your mac supports 802.11ac
- Answered by Jim G from Mesa
- 10 23, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How do I know if my 2011 purchased iMac will support 802.11 ac wireless?)
Only benefit I would see would be the ability to extend your wireless network range. The Airport Time Capsule includes an internal hard drive that you can use to back up your mac computers.
- Answered by Abdul W from Sugar Land
- 08 12, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Are there benefits to having both an AirPort Extreme and an Airport Time Capsule?)
Absolutely! The Airport Utility will helo you set it up as an extender. I currently am using a 5th Gen. Extreme with a 4th Gen. Extreme and 2nd. Gen Express as extenders.
- Answered by Christopher F from Whitney Point
- 06 12, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can i use the old airport extreme to extend the new airport extreme's network?)
Can I add a wired network switch if I need more wired connections?
I am thinking of upgrading to a Time Capsule as my primary router and WiFi connection at home. If I needed more wired connections (say 3-5 more) can I simply add a wired network switch to one of the connections on the back of the TC?
- Asked by Gregory A from Golden
- 12 7, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I add a wired network switch if I need more wired connections?)
Yes. I have a Netgear GS108NA 8 port switch that works very well with my TC. I just plugged it into a LAN port and started plugging other devices into the switch. It works great.
- Answered by James K P from Richmond
- 03 2, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I add a wired network switch if I need more wired connections?)
- Answered by Erik J from Cape Elizabeth
- 05 9, 17
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (do I need to turn on and off went not in use)
do i need a modum if i have a time capsule
time capsule setup
- Asked by Daniel W from Uraidla
- 04 8, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (do i need a modum if i have a time capsule)
Yes the Time Capsule connects to your modem
The modem is what's creating the internet connection the Tome Capsule is taking that internet connection and broadcasting it wirelessly.
- Answered by Evelyn M from Brentwood
- 04 9, 17
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (do i need a modum if i have a time capsule)
What voltage does the Airport Time Capsule power supply support? I.e. Can a time capsule bought in the US (110V) support europeans votages?Best Answer:
100-240V AC, 50-60Hz; input current: 1.5 amp
It is good worldwide you just need an adapter for the plug.
No, use a separate power injector.
- Answered by Frederic L
- 10 8, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does the Time Capsule support Power over Ethernet.)
If my Wifi interface lists 802.11 a/b/g/n as what I have, will this AirPort Time Capsule work with my Mac? I am running on OS El Capitan 10.11.6.
- Asked by Kimberly S from Waukesha
- 05 19, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (If my Wifi interface lists 802.11 a/b/g/n as what I have, will this AirPort Time Capsule work with my Mac? I am running on OS El Capitan 10.11.6.)
difference between time machine and time capsule
- Asked by Natashia B from Bombala
- 02 8, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (difference between time machine and time capsule)
Time Machine is a software program you can use to backup your mac to an external hard drive.
Airport Time Capsule is a physical device that you plug in at your home/office & it offers fully automated backup for computers on your Wi-FI network. The Time Capsule is also a fully featured Airport Extreme base Station that provides simultaneous dual-band wireless networking using the 802.11ac specification.
- Answered by Mike M from Towson
- 05 20, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (difference between time machine and time capsule)
How many gigabytes make a terabyte?
- Asked by Susan C. B from Scotts Valley
- 12 4, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (How many gigabytes make a terabyte?)
There are 1024 MB in one GB, the same where there are 1024 GB in one TB.
- Answered by Julie S from Paragould
- 01 9, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How many gigabytes make a terabyte?)
will this device support APFS?
im wondering if the main drive or a external drive connected using APFS format would be able to be supported if this is id really consider getting one due to the fact I only have a 1st gen and even though I upgraded the HDD to a 2TB its still slow id love to have a faster backup so id like to know if it supports APFS
- Asked by Tim F from Atascadero
- 06 17, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (will this device support APFS?)
Extending a wifi-network with TC
I have an Airport Express and am buying an Airport Time Capsule, can I connect the Time Capsule to the modem as my main router, and then put the Express upstairs to extend the WiFi range and not have it physically connected to the modem or the Airport Time Capsule - just plugged in somewhere? Thanks
- Asked by Marla R from Essex
- 11 27, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Extending a wifi-network with TC)
Yes, It's perfect for that. I've used two Express units, one as the base and main wireless router and turned the second into an extender. Very easy to do, I set aside an hour for the task, I was done in about five minutes. You just have to have the two devices next to each other for pairing, then unplug your extender and move it to another location within range of the base unit. Be mindful these devices communicate with each other via radio waves, if there is a brick wall or other dense barrier (multiple walls) between, you can loose signal strength. Sometimes it takes a little time to get the best position. Hope that helps.
- Answered by Matt G from Crockett
- 12 17, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Extending a wifi-network with TC)
how does iPhone interface with airport time capsule
- Asked by Matthew B from Lemont
- 01 4, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (how does iPhone interface with airport time capsule)
You can install an "Airport Utility" App on your iPhone and configure your network from there. If you plan to backup your iPhone to the Time Capsule - this doesn't work, unfortunately. Ok, it may work with some tweaking (let's say you could sync all your files through a computer onto the Time Capsule drive), but it won't just work out-of-the-box.
- Answered by Christoph R from Princeton
- 01 17, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (how does iPhone interface with airport time capsule)
Can I use time capsule for iTunes and iPhoto libraries
I have a macbook and macbook pro which are both used independently. I would like to use a time capsule to store files and iTunes and iPhoto libraries. What I am looking to achieve is to be able to stream wirelessly my files between either of the computers and access iTunes and iPhoto from either machine. The majority of hard drive space would then be freed up on both machines and for no loss of service. I would think that playlists and albums would be unaffected by this change. Any advice would be gratefully received. Many thanks
- Asked by Alan T
- 11 27, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use time capsule for iTunes and iPhoto libraries)