Questions & Answers for AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB
571 Questions from the Community
Can I Play Media VIA Time Capsule (Movies/Music) instead of storing on MacBook Pro.
Hi All ,
I own a 250gb HD Macbook Pro , Apple Airport Express & Apple TV (including iPhone 5 and 6 and iPad 2). I love the peace of mind watching my iTunes Library via apple TV.
My MacBook Pro is full and want to know if i can store files on the Time Capsule (Movies/Music) and access via apple TV... In a nutshell , can i play movie files from the Time Capsule. Because this will free up a lot of space on my hard drive.
I Also have Phillips Hue which is amazing.
- Asked by Samuel L from Clare
- 04 18, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I Play Media VIA Time Capsule (Movies/Music) instead of storing on MacBook Pro.)
I'm not sure if you can play from the Time Capsule but you can keep your iTunes library on the Time Capsule and you'll still have access to it with all you Apple IOS devices, including your AppleTV. So, if there's a movie you want to watch and don't want to stream it you can access from iTunes and download it onto your Mac/iPad/iPhone, etc and screen share it with your Apple TV. Alternatively, your iTunes library should be accessible from your Apple TV. I know all my movies show up automatically on mine. I've never checked the music library but I doubt it's a problem.
If you want to store your library on your Time Capsule, copy your iTunes folder from your Mac onto your TimeCapsule. Once you've done that you can have Time Capsule be the default home for your library by going into iTunes preferences/Advanced and change the location of your iTunes library to iTunes/iTunes Media folder on your Time Capsule.
Hope that helps
- Answered by Robert G from Anacortes
- 05 5, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I Play Media VIA Time Capsule (Movies/Music) instead of storing on MacBook Pro.)
No hard drive will last for 100 years. It is probably flash memory that you are seeing that quoted on, but that will come in much smaller capacities (typically 8GB-64GB) and a much higher cost-per-gigabyte than the Time Capsule, and of course, do not include a fairly high end wireless router.
Hard drives have an average lifespan of approximately 5 years, but there are plenty of outliers, with some lasting 10 years and some only 10 minutes. And of course, the Time Capsule also contains a wireless router, which in itself will probably only last 3-5 years of continuous usage. That is why the recommendation for backups is always to have multiple backups, and preferably, to have at least one backup "offsite" (that is, not in the same physical location as your other backups), as the odds of multiple backups failing simultaneously is vanishingly small.
- Answered by Andrew R from Victoria
- 06 19, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What is life expectancy?)
To see if your Mac supports 11ac, go to "about this mac" in the apple menu. Click "more info". Then click "system report". Go to "wifi". In "wifi" look at "interfaces". You should see "supported PHY modes". This will tell you whether your mac supports 802.11ac
- Answered by Jim G from Mesa
- 10 23, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How do I know if my 2011 purchased iMac will support 802.11 ac wireless?)
How would I go about using a Time Capsule with Time Warner Cable?
They force you to rent one of their routers. Would I just connect the two using an ethernet cable? Would this affect the speed of Internet I get? And would it be silly to pay for Time Capsule if I already have to pay for a router? I know you get the backup capabilities, but having 2 devices for Wi-Fi seems unnecessary. I have all Apple products.
- Asked by Casey G from Louisville
- 06 2, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (How would I go about using a Time Capsule with Time Warner Cable?)
Unless Louisville has some strange setup, you can either rent or use your own router to connect to the Time Warner modem. You should be able to use your own modem also. There is a list of modems which are compatible with the cable company's system which is available on their website. Pretty much any router will work. Buying your own router and/or modem means there is an upfront cost vs paying a monthly rental fee. On the other hand if your rented equipment fails for whatever reason or Time Warner changes their cable box or DVR, they will replace it at no cost.
- Answered by David D from Milwaukee
- 07 18, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How would I go about using a Time Capsule with Time Warner Cable?)
difference between time machine and time capsule
- Asked by Natashia B from Bombala
- 02 8, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (difference between time machine and time capsule)
Time Machine is a software program you can use to backup your mac to an external hard drive.
Airport Time Capsule is a physical device that you plug in at your home/office & it offers fully automated backup for computers on your Wi-FI network. The Time Capsule is also a fully featured Airport Extreme base Station that provides simultaneous dual-band wireless networking using the 802.11ac specification.
- Answered by Mike M from Towson
- 05 20, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (difference between time machine and time capsule)
What do the different model numbers mean
ME182B/A and MD033B/A what is the difference?
- Asked by Rosemary C
- 05 11, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (What do the different model numbers mean)
Ordering this thing gets you the newest version (MD826AM/A) and not the ZM/A version. March 2016
- Answered by Margot M from Boca Raton
- 08 8, 16
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What do the different model numbers mean)
Can I backup my iPhone with time capsule?
Using a home Wi-Fi, am I able to back up my apple device to the time capsule?
- Asked by Maurice J from Newark
- 08 14, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I backup my iPhone with time capsule?)
bad, no Apple APP existing to backup mobile devices at time capsule. .... many users asking for it.
iCloud is one way, .... but costs extra.
to backup ipad/iphone use iTunes, ... and than backup your mac at time capsule.
- Answered by Burckhard L
- 05 21, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I backup my iPhone with time capsule?)
Is it possible to connect directly to internet if I plug the internet cable into the LAN on AirPort Extreme? I think the only way is to use the WAN.
No answers yet
Can an AirPort Time Capsule be used as a modem?
I'm looking to switch the network provider because of some reasons: price, performance, and device. I pay
I pay $59.47 per month get only maximum speed of downlaod up to 12 Mbps, upload 1.5 Mbps.
Wondering if I the AirPort Time Capsule can be used as a modem and wireless router and to boost up performance for my network provider?
- Asked by Serey Wathna S from Houston
- 03 8, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Can an AirPort Time Capsule be used as a modem?)
negative it will not work with a direct isp connection....
- Answered by Marcus B from Chandler
- 06 9, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can an AirPort Time Capsule be used as a modem?)
Can the Time Capsule back up data stored on its own segregated drive too? I want to remove the photos from my MacBook Pro HD and store on TCapsule HD
No answers yet
is it as fast as thunderbolt for storage ?
- Asked by Daniel H from North Wollongong
- 12 29, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (is it as fast as thunderbolt for storage ?)
can i access music files from time capsule from my ios
- Asked by David L from Paramount
- 01 13, 18
- Flag as inappropriate (can i access music files from time capsule from my ios)
How can I get IPv6 via SLAAC?
The tunnel service is unreliable and I have a static IPv6 pool allocated to me.
- Asked by Andrew B from Peppermint Grove
- 12 20, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (How can I get IPv6 via SLAAC?)
do i need to use a router with airport time capsule?
- Asked by Robert F from South Boston
- 11 7, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (do i need to use a router with airport time capsule?)
The airport Time Capsue is a router. You will need a modem though.
- Answered by Robert G from Anacortes
- 11 28, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (do i need to use a router with airport time capsule?)
Extending a wifi-network with TC
I have an Airport Express and am buying an Airport Time Capsule, can I connect the Time Capsule to the modem as my main router, and then put the Express upstairs to extend the WiFi range and not have it physically connected to the modem or the Airport Time Capsule - just plugged in somewhere? Thanks
- Asked by Marla R from Essex
- 11 27, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Extending a wifi-network with TC)
Yes, It's perfect for that. I've used two Express units, one as the base and main wireless router and turned the second into an extender. Very easy to do, I set aside an hour for the task, I was done in about five minutes. You just have to have the two devices next to each other for pairing, then unplug your extender and move it to another location within range of the base unit. Be mindful these devices communicate with each other via radio waves, if there is a brick wall or other dense barrier (multiple walls) between, you can loose signal strength. Sometimes it takes a little time to get the best position. Hope that helps.
- Answered by Matt G from Crockett
- 12 17, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Extending a wifi-network with TC)
are there POE on the ethernet LAN ports ?
I want to connect a POE enabled device to one of the LAN ports.
- Asked by Steve H N C
- 12 29, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (are there POE on the ethernet LAN ports ?)
No it does not do PoE. However you could buy a external POE inline power injector - you need it for a specific use case.
- Answered by Marcus B from Chandler
- 06 9, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (are there POE on the ethernet LAN ports ?)
What voltage does the Airport Time Capsule power supply support? I.e. Can a time capsule bought in the US (110V) support europeans votages?Best Answer:
100-240V AC, 50-60Hz; input current: 1.5 amp
It is good worldwide you just need an adapter for the plug.
How to access photo from Apple airport time capsule using iPad Air 2
Is there a way to access photos from my 3T Apple airport time capsule using my iPad Air 2?
- Asked by Ramesh P from Bartlett
- 06 2, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (How to access photo from Apple airport time capsule using iPad Air 2)
Yes, I do this with my Time Capsule, just download an app onto your iPad called 'FileExplorer' and you'll be able to access and play/view save any file which is saved on your capsule. There are 2 versions of the app - i use the free one which will allow you to access most files but you may wish to go for the paid version.
hope this helps you
- Answered by Aaron B
- 06 11, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How to access photo from Apple airport time capsule using iPad Air 2)
The AirPort Extreme and AirPort in the Time Capsule make independent wifi networks in your house or office. No monthly fee for the wifi.
If you connect either of these to an ethernet cable leading to a cable modem or a DSLR modem then you'll no doubt have a monthly fee for internet access.
- Answered by Richard W from Warren
- 11 13, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is the Airport Time Capsule an independent wifi network or will I have to pay a monthly fee?)