Questions & Answers for AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB
539 Questions from the Community
Is the Airport Time Capsule or Airport extreme DOCSIS 3.0 compatible?
DOCSIS 3.0 with 8 downstream channels or greater and 4 downstream channels or greater.
- Asked by Jerome K from New Bern
- 11 4, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the Airport Time Capsule or Airport extreme DOCSIS 3.0 compatible?)
You can connect the Airport Time Capsule or Airport Extreme (or Express) to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem via the Ethernet port on the DOCSIS modem and the Ethernet WAN port on the Airport.
The Airport devices do not replace the need for a DOCSIS modem if you have a cable internet provider.
- Answered by Colin L from Toronto
- 11 28, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is the Airport Time Capsule or Airport extreme DOCSIS 3.0 compatible?)
I have a large old house and use several airports to cover the distances. I want to upgrade to use two airports wired together. Will this work?
I want to use a CAT5e between 2 AirPorts. The far end of the house is like a bunker and cannot get any signal to my AppleTV. It would be nice to have one AirPort Time Capsule in the mix for backing everyone up. Any thoughts?
- Asked by Michael R from Pittsburgh
- 12 29, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a large old house and use several airports to cover the distances. I want to upgrade to use two airports wired together. Will this work?)
I do this in my house. I have a Time Capsule in my basement near my cable modem and an Airport Extreme on the main floor to expand WiFi coverage in my house. You can either connect them together and have one do DHCP for the house or you can plug them into a switch or a combination modem/router and allow that 3rd device to do the DHCP for your home.
The Airport Utility is pretty good at helping you get the right configuration.
- Answered by James K P from Richmond
- 03 2, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I have a large old house and use several airports to cover the distances. I want to upgrade to use two airports wired together. Will this work?)
I have Verizon jetpack mifi 4620. It's a cellular data modem with no data ports. All connections are via WIFI. Can this Time Capsule connect via WIFI?
No answers yet
Whats the difference between Airport Time Capsule and Time Capsule?
What does Airport Time Capsule 3TB have to offer over Time Capsule 3TB?
- Asked by Glen B from Calgary
- 07 29, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Whats the difference between Airport Time Capsule and Time Capsule?)
All Time Capsules are Airport Time Capsules.
Airport is the generic name for all of Apple's WiFi routers. Time Capsule is an Airport Extreme with a hard drive built in. Airport Extreme is the top of Apple's line of Airports; a very nice router and wireless access point with a shared USB port, an incoming Ethernet port, and three outgoing Ethernet ports. Airport Express is a somewhat more humble Airport with less range, a shared USB port and a shared headphone jack (for playing music from any Mac or iOS device on the network), one incoming Ethernet port and one outgoing Ethernet port.
You can use any Airport to extend the wireless network. In other words, one Ethernet port from your Internet Service Provider's modem can connect to a Time Capsule. You could put an Airport Express in a different room within range of the Time Capsule, and configure it to join the Time Capsule's network. Now, you can connect a printer and some powered speakers (or your stereo) to the Airport Express, and your wireless network now reaches farther, since the Airport Express acts like a repeater, communicating between a more distant computer and the Time Machine.
The Airport Extreme has more range than the Airport Express, but it doesn't have the shared headphone jack.
And an Apple TV also can connect to your TV and/or stereo for playing content from any Mac or iOS device on the network.
- Answered by Will M from Charlottesville
- 10 30, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Whats the difference between Airport Time Capsule and Time Capsule?)
can apple tv access movies on time capsule through i phone
Basically I do not want to go through my i pad or macbook to stream to my Apple TV. I would like to use my phone for this.
- Asked by Richard M from Charlestown
- 12 20, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (can apple tv access movies on time capsule through i phone)
Can I use access the files stored in AirPort Capsule from a different country?
Can I use access the files stored in AirPort Capsule from a different country or location or do I have to be within the same WiFi range?
- Asked by Rakesh K from Brampton
- 12 21, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use access the files stored in AirPort Capsule from a different country?)
Can time capsule connect with iPad air?
I wanted to by airport time capsule 2 tb but I had a query that can it connect to iPad Air?? and send data to it or from my iPad can I send data to air port.?? . If I can then how
- Asked by Darshil P
- 11 23, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can time capsule connect with iPad air?)
What would happen to this in a fire or flood? Anyway to protect it? Can I upload to cloud? I ask an employee at the Apple store and he had kittle
I ask an employee at the Apple store and he had offered nothing. I thought he also said this is a cloud but you cannot upload it to an off-site cloud via internet.?
- Asked by Joshua G from Park Hills
- 03 2, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (What would happen to this in a fire or flood? Anyway to protect it? Can I upload to cloud? I ask an employee at the Apple store and he had kittle)
No answers yet
How do I restore files from my AirPort Time Capsule to my MacBook? Can I restore selective files/software?
My hard drive crashed and I purchased a new MacBook Pro. I want to restore my documents from my latestAirPort Time Capsule backup and my quicken software and files but don't know how.
- Asked by H. W. A from Fairview Park
- 04 22, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (How do I restore files from my AirPort Time Capsule to my MacBook? Can I restore selective files/software?)
Hi Mr. H. W. A. , you can restore your files with Migration Assistant , to pen the Migration Assistant , go to Launchpad then Open the folder Other , then look for Migration Assistant and open it.
The Migration Assistant will start with a screen asking you how do you want to transfer your information from a Mac ,a Time Machine Backup or another disk(This is the default option)
Make sure that you are in the same network of the Time Capsule , then in the next screen select the Time Machine Backup disk(if you don't know , which one to choose , choose the disk with a green hard disk ,with a symbol of a arrow and in clock inside the arrow)
After you selected the time machie disk, the Migration Assistant will ask you to select witch backup you want to transfer, after the selection of the backup ,another screen will show up , asking to confirm what you would like to transfer from the backup
( The default option is everything, just a important thing , you can't select which documents&data ,you want to recover , but you can't do thus ,with apps and the Mac settings )
After you selected which information you want to recover ,select continue , and your Mac will ask if you want to encrypt your disk, this is important step ,because if you macbook is stolen ,nobody can access your information , ( i would recommend the encryption of your disk , the Mac may be slower ,but is better for security purpose)
After you select if you want FileVault or not , your information from the time capsule will began to restore
After this ,you can start using your Mac , with all your information previous from when the hard drive crashed
Sorry for the long Answer
- Answered by Stefano D from New York
- 05 27, 16
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How do I restore files from my AirPort Time Capsule to my MacBook? Can I restore selective files/software?)
Generally speaking I believe it's better to have all your computer equipment plugged into a UPS. Not only will this protect you from surges and brown outs, it will also protect you from those momentary power interruptions.
- Answered by Colin L from Toronto
- 11 28, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is it better to have my Time Capsule plugged into my house wiring or into a surge protector?)
How do I know if files are backed up on my Airport time capsule
- Asked by Natalie D from Downers Grove
- 06 3, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (How do I know if files are backed up on my Airport time capsule)
Yes, I used to have the whole family's 3 MacBooks and a desktop all with automatically generated separate files. When my first Time Capsule controller died, I removed the hard disk, piggy backed it onto a new one and was able to access the separate files to either store as archive on the piggy backed device, or copy across to the new TC as required.
- Answered by Tim O
- 05 17, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (will the files from each mac be stored separately)
Does this device stores movies as well?
Should I decide tp download music, movies, videos, and backup files, would this device do all of these things?
- Asked by Lapolean K from Creedmoor
- 07 28, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this device stores movies as well?)
Regarding files, this device can act as two different things - a Time-Machine-enabled Backup device, or a Shared Network Hard Drive.
As a Tme-Machine-enabled backup device, it will back up everything from your Mac(s) at regular intervals. This includes all the files on your Mac - documents, movies, music etc. You can then use it to revert to previous versions of files, to restore deleted or damaged files, or to restore the entire mac from a backup. Note, if you use it in this way, don't expect to be able to browse or read your files as simple files. Time machine backs use a sparse bundle and file links. You can get to your files manually if you want, don't expect to be able to hook up a home media centre to access those files easily. They are managed by time machine, and really should only be accessed through the Time Machine software for restoration.
As a shared network hard drive, you can consider it to be a file server. You can access the hard drive, over the network (wired or wireless) from any machine on the network (Mac or Windows). As such, you could use it to store your music and movies and access them from anywhere, including from any home media centre that can access a shared network volume (i.e. not AppleTV).
You should use it for one or the other, not both. Note, you *can* do both, but you really should not. When used for Time Machine backups, it really likes to manage hard drive space itself. When the disk gets full, it deletes older backups. It works best when it is fully aware and fully in control of the drive space
- Answered by Vihung M
- 08 19, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does this device stores movies as well?)
what is the newer version or generation
- Asked by Ariel B from Lake Worth
- 03 28, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (what is the newer version or generation)
Connecting the ATC to a FIOS high speed coax fiber router
What is the best method? Just using the fios router as the main and then turning off wifi, then plug in the Apple Time Capsule (ATC) into an ethernet port? What do I gain/loos, as the Fios router currently is extremely fast...What's the "best of both worlds" set-up configuration
- Asked by Steven L from Voorhees
- 08 21, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Connecting the ATC to a FIOS high speed coax fiber router)
You are right. Just disable FIOS WIFI and connect via ethernet. This is truly 'the best of both worlds', as your FIOS fiber is very fast, but will not be wireless AC, and the Airport has AC standard, which is surely faster than the modem's built-in WIFI.
- Answered by Joey P from West Lafayette
- 11 13, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Connecting the ATC to a FIOS high speed coax fiber router)
Will my Mac Book Pro with Mavericks support Airport Time capsule?
- Asked by Sonia B from Melbourne
- 02 22, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Will my Mac Book Pro with Mavericks support Airport Time capsule?)
Yes, it's compatible. About to purchase mine now online.
- Answered by Cynthia T from El Monte
- 02 25, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will my Mac Book Pro with Mavericks support Airport Time capsule?)