Questions & Answers for AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB
561 Questions from the Community
Can AirPort Capsule be used as an external wireless hard drive separate to Time Machine?
Can AirPort Capsule be used as an external wireless hard drive separate to Time Machine? Meaning, can I save content directly to the Capsule, or does it only backup what is saved on my Mac device?
I am wanting to back up my computer via Time Machine, but there are things I would like to put onto a hard drive (hopefully Airport Capsule) but not leave on my computer.
Hope this makes sense
Yes your Time Uapsule will function as a backup drive with time machine as well as being able to save content directly to the same drive , However, you cannot include the stored information on the TC HD as part of your computer backup through time machine on your Mac.
hope this helps
- Answered by Simon C
- 01 31, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can AirPort Capsule be used as an external wireless hard drive separate to Time Machine?)
Does the Time Capsule spin down the hard disk while idle?
Does the Time Capsule spin down the hard disk while not performing a backup? During typical operating conditions, what is the duty cycle of the hard disk?
- Asked by Ben K from Vancouver
- 10 16, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Time Capsule spin down the hard disk while idle?)
When this product says that it will work with '50 User's' is that actual users or devices?
We have 15 iMacs here with multiple accounts on every mac, which with a rough calculation adds up to more than 50, does this product have the capability to do this? Also these iMacs are 2010 models, they are all for video editing as well so large files etc need a solution to back these 15 macs up.Answer
50 Wired and Wireless devices combined connected simultaneously. So if you somehow had 45 devices and 5 of your friends visited and used your WiFi; then they left and 5 more friends came over and used your WiFi you would be okay. Number of accounts on each mac is a different measurement not related to this. 50 simultaneous users is industry standard for a residential/small business router. You may actually quickly run low on space even with 3TB - which is not to say this isn't a great solution. Just that you may need to attach external hard drives to it for more storage. Something to keep in mind if sleekness is a priority. To me it's a bargain over a Drobo or NAS for Time Capsule backups. Hope this helps.
- Answered by Dave O from Tallmadge
- 05 1, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (When this product says that it will work with '50 User's' is that actual users or devices?)
what is the model number of the latest version of 2T time capsule
- Asked by Julie C from Seattle
- 09 27, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (what is the model number of the latest version of 2T time capsule)
Can I access my iTunes content that is stored on the time capsule using homesharing on iPad/iphone without my mac being turned on?
I currently use home sharing to access iTunes content on my iPad/iphone when at home. My mac has to be turned on to do this. If I purchase an airport time capsule will this mean I can access the content using homesharing on ipad/iphone that is backed up on the time capsule drive without the mac being turned on?
can i use wan and lan in time capsule
can i have a new or extend my isp-router wireless network on my time capsule, and also access my time capsule disk via my wired network
- Asked by Efstathiou E
- 11 15, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (can i use wan and lan in time capsule)
how do i find calendar on my airport?
I deleted a day of my calendar and don't know how to find it. I looked for it in Time Machine library but can't ical or calendar. When I try to open Air Port from Finder, I get Resource temporarily unavailable.
- Asked by Cas R from North Little Rock
- 09 26, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (how do i find calendar on my airport?)
Squeezebox Support on Airport?
Does anyone know if an Airport Time Capsule would offer Squeezebox support? I'm considering moving from an all windows environment to an iMac with an Airport time capsule. Ideally I'd like to be able to access a music library from Squeezebox on an airport even with the iMac off. I realize there is Apple TV and the like, but I've got a good investment already in squeezebox devices and controllers I'd like to continue to use. Has anyone tried this before? Sorry, not very technical here so forgive me but from browsing the logitech site it looks like Squeezebox is incapable of connecting to N networks and we would need to change modem settings to B or G. I assume that is done at the wireless router and isn't any worse that what I have now? Any downsides here? Thanks everyone!
- Asked by Darren N from Sterling
- 03 22, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Squeezebox Support on Airport?)
Does the AirPort Time Capsule provide a FTP server capability via a IPv4 registered public address?
My present Cisco/Belkin wireless router provides a File Transfer Protocol (FTP) server using a IPv4 registered public address so I can access my stored files over the Internet. I find this service indispensable as I'm a network engineer and having my tools available without using disk space on my MBP makes more sense than a USB thumb drive
- Asked by George P from Deerfield Beach
- 11 22, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the AirPort Time Capsule provide a FTP server capability via a IPv4 registered public address?)
Can i extend my network, with my existing one.. currently i have the at&t router 589.
i basically want to know if i can merge the two wireless routers to operate on the same network. Just to extend the range.
- Asked by Lance H from Rossford
- 11 23, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i extend my network, with my existing one.. currently i have the at&t router 589.)
does it have to be wireless ?
- Asked by Frank L from Racine
- 11 23, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (does it have to be wireless ?)
Does it support a PPPoE connection/setup?
- Asked by Ben M from O'connor
- 10 26, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Does it support a PPPoE connection/setup?)
Yes. In AirPort Utility go to the Internet tab and click on the dropdown menu that has DHCP selected. Select PPPoE and fill out the form with your ISP's supplied information.
- Answered by Jared B from San Diego
- 11 10, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does it support a PPPoE connection/setup?)
Does time Capsule supports multiple DSL conections?
I have two internet conections, can i set both on the time capsule / airport extreme so it mixes them and distributes to the different users and machines?
- Asked by Roberto R from Estado De Mexico
- 02 18, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Does time Capsule supports multiple DSL conections?)
You would have to use an externally powered usb hub to connect the devices into the Time Capsule
- Answered by Tyler S from Boise
- 06 13, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How do you connect more than one USB device, for example, a printer AND a second external hard drive?)
can i use my old time capsule on my new time capsule network as a network storage device?
I just purchased a new Time Capsule and plan to use it as my wireless router. I would like to use my old time capsule as a network storage device to archive photos, for example. How do I set it up properly?
- Asked by John C from Lake Oswego
- 04 29, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (can i use my old time capsule on my new time capsule network as a network storage device?)
Does the Time Capsule only work when plugged into a modem With WAN Port or does it work plugged into Ethernet port?
- Asked by Clifton R from Jacksonville
- 07 3, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Time Capsule only work when plugged into a modem With WAN Port or does it work plugged into Ethernet port?)
Can I use this to transfer a macbook hard drive to a brand new Macbook Pro?
So, I have this old macbook and would buy this time capsule if I can use it to transfer everything from my old computer to a brand new one that I just ordered. Does this work? Will I be able to keep all my programs such as Word, Powerpoint, even my games without having to RE-BUY them?
- Asked by John B from Astoria
- 09 13, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use this to transfer a macbook hard drive to a brand new Macbook Pro?)
Yes, do a normal Time Machine back to the Time Capsule and use the documented procedure to restore on your new device. Using a new Time Capsule, transfer rate are awesome, took 3 hours on my wife's MacBook Pro.
- Answered by Frederic L
- 10 8, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use this to transfer a macbook hard drive to a brand new Macbook Pro?)
Can I connect more than one external hard drives to my Airport Time Capsule and access the external hard drive from 2 computers simultaneously?
I have just bought a 2TB Airport Time Capsule. I connected a USB hub to it and 2 external hard drives (Lacie). Is is possible to have more than one computer using the same external hard drive at the same time? It seems to only appear in one computer, not the other one.
No answers yet