Questions & Answers for AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB
547 Questions from the Community
using AirPort Time Capsule with both iMAC and PC
I have a new iMAC and an old PC that runs Windows Vista. Can I simply remove my old wireless router and replace it with a new Airport Time Capsule, and will the old PC still have a wireless connection? Is there anything else I should take into consideration?
- Asked by Carol K from Miami
- 08 23, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (using AirPort Time Capsule with both iMAC and PC)
We are a family of 6 all with apple devices. Is the time capsule multi user capable? Specifically around the backup and sharing areas?Answer
Not sure about 6, but multi-user yes. When setting up Time Machine, it will present you all and any available drives on your network. Simply use it for each as long as the name of the computer is not the same.
Can this new (2013) time capsule be used as a NAS using just the 2TB/3TB internal drive?
The previous model could be used as a NAS for both Mac and Windows using the internal drive. It was clearly stated in the description. For this new model, it seems not. Only the USB external drive could be shared; but no mention for Windows. Can anyone clarify this?Answer
No, windows 7 laptop/pc can see internal HD of time capsule fine. However, file transfer rate over the wifi is rather slow (6-8MB/s).
- Answered by Imran I from Milpitas
- 07 23, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can this new (2013) time capsule be used as a NAS using just the 2TB/3TB internal drive?)
how can i erase data from my older time capsule? And can I transfer the data to the newer Time Capsule before eraseing it?
- Asked by Ronald F R from Fabius
- 10 10, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (how can i erase data from my older time capsule? And can I transfer the data to the newer Time Capsule before eraseing it?)
Can this device be used as a NAS drive? I want to be able to access the files remotely e.g. not on my home network/whilst at home.
No answers yet
What warrantee does the time capsule come with? How long does it last?
- Asked by Geraldine P
- 09 18, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (What warrantee does the time capsule come with? How long does it last?)
Does this device stores movies as well?
Should I decide tp download music, movies, videos, and backup files, would this device do all of these things?
- Asked by Lapolean K from Creedmoor
- 07 28, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this device stores movies as well?)
Regarding files, this device can act as two different things - a Time-Machine-enabled Backup device, or a Shared Network Hard Drive.
As a Tme-Machine-enabled backup device, it will back up everything from your Mac(s) at regular intervals. This includes all the files on your Mac - documents, movies, music etc. You can then use it to revert to previous versions of files, to restore deleted or damaged files, or to restore the entire mac from a backup. Note, if you use it in this way, don't expect to be able to browse or read your files as simple files. Time machine backs use a sparse bundle and file links. You can get to your files manually if you want, don't expect to be able to hook up a home media centre to access those files easily. They are managed by time machine, and really should only be accessed through the Time Machine software for restoration.
As a shared network hard drive, you can consider it to be a file server. You can access the hard drive, over the network (wired or wireless) from any machine on the network (Mac or Windows). As such, you could use it to store your music and movies and access them from anywhere, including from any home media centre that can access a shared network volume (i.e. not AppleTV).
You should use it for one or the other, not both. Note, you *can* do both, but you really should not. When used for Time Machine backups, it really likes to manage hard drive space itself. When the disk gets full, it deletes older backups. It works best when it is fully aware and fully in control of the drive space
- Answered by Vihung M
- 08 19, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does this device stores movies as well?)
Is the AirPort Time Capsule a server also?
I saw in a review (That I now can not find) that it also doubled as a server for them. I can't find anywhere in the description it saying it doubling as a server, though. Thanks for the help!
- Asked by M G from Carlsbad
- 06 25, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the AirPort Time Capsule a server also?)
Will this work with OS X 10.8.4?
- Asked by Lindsay F from Bensalem
- 09 3, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this work with OS X 10.8.4?)
Yes. Should be able to provide WIF to just about anything. Should be able to configure it on anything running 10.6.x and newer.
- Answered by Joey P from West Lafayette
- 11 13, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this work with OS X 10.8.4?)
Questions before purchase
I have a imac and a pc. With the imac will not have problems, but I can replace my old router the AirPort Time Capsule, my pc can get connected to internet using ethernet cable? another question, can I use the 2TB storage to share documents and music between all my computers and mobile devices? thank you very much
- Asked by Fabiano S from Rio De Janeiro
- 12 3, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Questions before purchase)
Can I connect more than one external hard drives to my Airport Time Capsule and access the external hard drive from 2 computers simultaneously?
I have just bought a 2TB Airport Time Capsule. I connected a USB hub to it and 2 external hard drives (Lacie). Is is possible to have more than one computer using the same external hard drive at the same time? It seems to only appear in one computer, not the other one.
No answers yet
Will time capsule back up an external drive connected to my mac?
- Asked by Michael L from Edmond
- 07 1, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Will time capsule back up an external drive connected to my mac?)
I have a macbook air, iphones, windows PC and late model android phones. (samsung S4) Will I be able to back up my Files on ALL devices?
If so, is it possible to set it up for automatic back-up on all devices?
- Asked by Richard S from Conroe
- 12 28, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a macbook air, iphones, windows PC and late model android phones. (samsung S4) Will I be able to back up my Files on ALL devices?)
No answers yet
Can I move my current Timemachine files from my full external hard drive to a new Airport Time Capsule?
The current hard drive I backup to using Timemachine is full. I would like to get a newer Airport as my current Macbook supports Wifi-ac, so I was thinking of buying an Airport Time Capsule. Is there a way to move the existing Timemachine backup files from the full hard drive to the new Airport Time Capsule? This would free up the old hard drive for other use and consolidate my backups to one place.
- Asked by Dan L from Lake Forest Park
- 12 12, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I move my current Timemachine files from my full external hard drive to a new Airport Time Capsule?)
Does the AirPort TC support having an ethernet connected network printer that is accessible to both MacBookAir and PC laptops?
I am currently using my printer's USB connection and ethernet connection quasi-simultaneously (both physically connected, but only print from one connection at a time). The ethernet connection goes to my LinkSys home router. The printer's USB port is connected to a work Windows7 PC laptop directly for corporate VPN security reasons and so cannot be connected to the AirPort TC USB port. I am wanting to replace my LinkSys router with the AirPort TC so that I can also set up Time Machine backups on my MacBookAir. Secondly, can I have my Windows Vista PC do backups to the AirPort TC (as a network drive)?
- Asked by John K from Pleasanton
- 08 6, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the AirPort TC support having an ethernet connected network printer that is accessible to both MacBookAir and PC laptops?)
what is the speed upload and download
- Asked by Pierre L from Mississauga
- 02 14, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (what is the speed upload and download)
Can i extend my network, with my existing one.. currently i have the at&t router 589.
i basically want to know if i can merge the two wireless routers to operate on the same network. Just to extend the range.
- Asked by Lance H from Rossford
- 11 23, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i extend my network, with my existing one.. currently i have the at&t router 589.)
If you have a Mac Mini Server (2013) can you use the Airport Time Capsule to enable Cache Server 2?
I'd like to know if you can combine the Airport Time Capsule with the Mac Mini Server, and enable Time Capsule as the Caching Server (so all cache gets stored on the Time Capsule), is it possible?
- Asked by Taylor M from Calgary
- 01 15, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (If you have a Mac Mini Server (2013) can you use the Airport Time Capsule to enable Cache Server 2?)