Questions & Answers for AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB
548 Questions from the Community
will time machine back up my external hard drive as well as my internal drive?
I have the Mac Mini with SSD along with a thunderbolt external drive for my media. wiill time machine back up both?
- Asked by Timothy C from Prescott
- 03 11, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (will time machine back up my external hard drive as well as my internal drive?)
Can I access my data outside of my home?
- Asked by Okechukwu N from Suwanee
- 01 17, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I access my data outside of my home?)
Can I connect Comcast X1 Wireless Gateway with an Airport Time Capsule?
- Asked by Thomas K from Dillsburg
- 07 5, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect Comcast X1 Wireless Gateway with an Airport Time Capsule?)
can see files movies, music, pictures on apple tv
- Asked by Giovanni D from Holyoke
- 06 15, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (can see files movies, music, pictures on apple tv)
AppleTV can only get it's sources from 2 places, iTunes or iCloud.
- Answered by Frederic L
- 10 8, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can see files movies, music, pictures on apple tv)
Can the data be encrypted?
I would like to know if the data can be encrypted and the files may be accessed remotely if I am not at my office?
- Asked by Jeremiah W from Stroudsburg
- 12 17, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the data be encrypted?)
Storage help please :)
Hi I have an 11inch MacBook Air and I have run out of memory/storage space ( didn't realise it had so little upon purchasing as I received as a gift) . Is an airport time capsule something suitable for me to use as additional storage? Or is there another product?
If kind enough to give me some advice please use layman's terms as I am not techy whatsoever !
Thank you in advance.
- Asked by Esther H
- 08 13, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Storage help please :))
Will the new Time Capsule work with machines running 10.6.8?
The product info suggests 10.7.5 and a much higher Airport Utility are required, but the info also says it is compatible with any WiFi device.
- Asked by Phil C. B from Gainesville
- 06 28, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the new Time Capsule work with machines running 10.6.8?)
It is possible to set up and administer the device using the Airport Utility 1.3 for iOS if you have an iPhone/iPad, once set up, all features of the device should work natively with 10.6.8 (apart from admin, which you will need the iOS device for.)
- Answered by Peter M from Armidale
- 08 7, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will the new Time Capsule work with machines running 10.6.8?)
Will the new airport have settings for DDNS survive or support it ?
- Asked by Brian P from Soquel
- 06 16, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the new airport have settings for DDNS survive or support it ?)
Can I Play Media VIA Time Capsule (Movies/Music) instead of storing on MacBook Pro.
Hi All ,
I own a 250gb HD Macbook Pro , Apple Airport Express & Apple TV (including iPhone 5 and 6 and iPad 2). I love the peace of mind watching my iTunes Library via apple TV.
My MacBook Pro is full and want to know if i can store files on the Time Capsule (Movies/Music) and access via apple TV... In a nutshell , can i play movie files from the Time Capsule. Because this will free up a lot of space on my hard drive.
I Also have Phillips Hue which is amazing.
- Asked by Samuel L from Clare
- 04 18, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I Play Media VIA Time Capsule (Movies/Music) instead of storing on MacBook Pro.)
I'm not sure if you can play from the Time Capsule but you can keep your iTunes library on the Time Capsule and you'll still have access to it with all you Apple IOS devices, including your AppleTV. So, if there's a movie you want to watch and don't want to stream it you can access from iTunes and download it onto your Mac/iPad/iPhone, etc and screen share it with your Apple TV. Alternatively, your iTunes library should be accessible from your Apple TV. I know all my movies show up automatically on mine. I've never checked the music library but I doubt it's a problem.
If you want to store your library on your Time Capsule, copy your iTunes folder from your Mac onto your TimeCapsule. Once you've done that you can have Time Capsule be the default home for your library by going into iTunes preferences/Advanced and change the location of your iTunes library to iTunes/iTunes Media folder on your Time Capsule.
Hope that helps
- Answered by Robert G from Anacortes
- 05 5, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I Play Media VIA Time Capsule (Movies/Music) instead of storing on MacBook Pro.)
When I have guests I grant access to my WiFi. If I use a time capsule will they be able to see my stored files on the Capsule? Can it be block them?
When I have a guests I grant access to my WiFi network. If I use a time capsule will they be able to see my stored files on the Capsule? Can I stop them from seeing my files?Best Answer:
There is an option within the Airport Utility to enable password protection on network drives. I recommend this option. If you enter the Airport Utility and edit the settings for the Time Capsule, the 5th tab, all the way on the right side saying 'Disks' is the one you want. There are 3 options: Grant access with device password, with disk password, and to specific accounts. Hope this helps.
- Answered by Joey P from West Lafayette
- 11 13, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (When I have guests I grant access to my WiFi. If I use a time capsule will they be able to see my stored files on the Capsule? Can it be block them?)
Can this be used as a replacement for DropBox or iCloud? I want to make files (like my Lightroom catalog) available to both my macbook and iMac.
I want to make files (like my Lightroom catalog) available to both my macbook and iMac.
My LR catalog is up to about 80gb and I don't' want to spend another $100 per year when it goes over 100gb.
If I bought a Time Capsule to store this and other large files on it, would I need special apps to make it function like dropbox or iCloud?
If the answer is to use Time Machine, that really doesn't allow the two macs to access the file, does it?
Can I connect a Brother printer via USB to the Airport Time Capsule?
- Asked by Ed R from Wilmington
- 08 20, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect a Brother printer via USB to the Airport Time Capsule?)
If I use the AirPort Time Capsules as a File Server, can I then delete the media files (pictures) that are taking up disk space on my macbook air?
My macbook air is constantly giving me prompt that my disk space is full. So that is the main reason I bought a AirPort Time Capsule 2TB to move all my old pictures to the File Server in the AirPort. That's the way it was explained to me when I bought it at the Apple Store (georgetown location in DC).
So the way I plan on managing my files is to move all the older photos to AirPort Time Capsule File Server, delete the files on my macbook so I have a lot of memory/disk space as I travel (without worrying about losing my whole life's worth of pictures) and periodically do a media "dump" when it starts to take up too much disk space on my macbook.
This way I can continue to use my macbook (without buying a new one b/c of memory - sorry Apple).
Is this a good way to manage my media files and macbook?
Can I access my iTunes content that is stored on the time capsule using homesharing on iPad/iphone without my mac being turned on?
I currently use home sharing to access iTunes content on my iPad/iphone when at home. My mac has to be turned on to do this. If I purchase an airport time capsule will this mean I can access the content using homesharing on ipad/iphone that is backed up on the time capsule drive without the mac being turned on?
Can I use a wireless WAN connection?
My primary Internet connection consists of a mobile hotspot with a five user limit. I would like to have a Time Capsule as my primary wireless router, but it would have to connect to the mobile hotspot and rebound the Internet connection through a different wifi ssid. Essentially, instead of connecting a wired WAN connection, it would connect to another network and use that as the WAN connection. Is this possible?
- Asked by Jaydon C from Meadow
- 07 2, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use a wireless WAN connection?)
Can I use my AirPort Time Capsule as a wireless access point?
My house is wired with ethernet jacks everywhere but my Xfinity router/cable modem combo isn't strong enough. I would like to know if I can set up the Time Capsule as a Wireless Access Point for the current network. As a separate question, I would also like to know how to set up the Time Capsule as a separate Wifi network in the house (new name/password) using the Airport Time Capsule. How do I do that as well?
- Asked by Jeffrey W from Los Altos
- 04 20, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use my AirPort Time Capsule as a wireless access point?)
Can Time Capsule backup an external drive connected to the USB port?
I would like to connect a hard drive to the USB port of my AirPort Time Capsule for the purpose of providing a universal drive for movies and files shared by all computers on my wireless network. I am curious - can you select the drive plugged into the Time Capsule USB port to also be backed up by the Time Capsule itself? The reason I would want to do this is in the event that the external drive breaks, a copy of the files are on the Time Capsule itself.
- Asked by Galen H from New York
- 01 13, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can Time Capsule backup an external drive connected to the USB port?)