Questions & Answers for AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB
550 Questions from the Community
Does the Airport Utility that goes with this allow scheduled automatic reboots?
- Asked by Jonathan C from Clarksville
- 07 21, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Airport Utility that goes with this allow scheduled automatic reboots?)
i already have the older 4th gen version of the time capsule. Can i transfer from the older version to the new version without losing any data ?
No answers yet
Why is the yellow light blinking on my time capsule?
- Asked by Linda E from Mpls
- 01 20, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (Why is the yellow light blinking on my time capsule?)
Could be a few things. If you have an iPhone, you can download the Airport Utility app and it will tell you what the problem is.
If your wifi is still functioning correctly, more than likely you just need to update the firmware. So far I've encountered the blinking yellow light when there's an update, no internet connection, and the occasional random automatic reset. (Not sure if the automatic reset is an intentional thing or a glitch, but either way, the light blinks while it is resetting and then goes off once it is done.)
- Answered by Britni W from Mobile
- 01 25, 17
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Why is the yellow light blinking on my time capsule?)
Yes you always need an external hard drive! iCloud/iTunes Match does NOT back up your uploaded music you've imported into iTunes (CDs...). It only backs up iTunes music that's available in the iTunes store available in your country. Be advised, your "purchased" iTunes music is NOT yours to own, but yours to manage. Back it up so you can always import it again in the future if that music has been deleted from the iTunes store. Happens too frequently. I found this out the hard way. I say have a plan, then have a back up plan.
- Answered by Graham S from Columbus
- 01 5, 17
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I am backing up my MacBook pro and my iphone etc. to the Apple cloud. Do I need The Time Capsule also?)
Is Ethernet needed for this to work? I have a 3 floor townhouse with modem on the bottom floor. I hate Fios.
I would like to keep the time capsule on the mid level alongside my iMac on the computer desk, but I don't know what will give me the fastest connection. I don't understand what the thunderbolt adapters and other cables do. Help!!! Thanks in advance!
Side note: what hard drive (if any) do I need to stream my media to other devices besides my Apple TV?
- Asked by Brandi S from Severn
- 06 4, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Is Ethernet needed for this to work? I have a 3 floor townhouse with modem on the bottom floor. I hate Fios.)
I have a laptop running Windows 8. It connects wirelessly so easily to Time Capsule. I can find the Time Capsule Data drive via windows explorer and drag and drop files into it wirelessly.
I use it as a back up data drive. I have not tried to do it automatically but I see no reason why it cannot if I set up Windows to do this.
- Answered by Laurie P
- 06 18, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (windows7 drive access?)
Does the Time Capsule support link aggregation?
Is it possible to bond or link two or three of the Ethernet (not WAN) ports into a single link for increased bandwidth and access speed?
- Asked by Jordan H from Edmonton
- 03 9, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Time Capsule support link aggregation?)
is the output ethernet signal from the time capsule slower than the input
The Input ethernet signal is over 50Mb/sec but the output signal from any of the three output jacks is around 10Mb/sec
- Asked by George S from Aptos
- 12 30, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (is the output ethernet signal from the time capsule slower than the input)
If I am understanding you, the question you are asking is if the signal sent out to the internet is always lower than the download signal from the internet. Short answer: YES. The upload/download speeds are determined by your internet service provider.
- Answered by Kent M from Tucson
- 01 7, 17
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (is the output ethernet signal from the time capsule slower than the input)
Can Time Capsule be used to store my music/pictures/video/etc. files first, then back up via Time Machine after?
I would like to use Time Capsule as a replacement for my current external hard drive which stores old files (and have access to it at any time) as well as be the automatic Time Machine back up from now on.
- Asked by Barrett I from Honolulu
- 06 19, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can Time Capsule be used to store my music/pictures/video/etc. files first, then back up via Time Machine after?)
Yes, you can use the same drive for your TimeMachine backups and as your iTunes drive. Both functions happen independently, so music is stored immediately, and the TimeMachine process is triggered periodically.
- Answered by Souheil M from Springfield
- 06 24, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can Time Capsule be used to store my music/pictures/video/etc. files first, then back up via Time Machine after?)
Can the hard-drive do double-duty doing TimeMachine back-ups of my computers and also store lots of files to free up hard disk space on my laptop?
I bought the 3TB model so I could wirelessly back up my computers, but I need to know if the same hard drive can do double-duty as a TimeMachine back-up system AND networkable storage for files that can be accessed by each of my computers on the network. I want to free up space on my laptop but I don't want to lose the files. I would like to know if the hard drive in the 3TB model will be usable for all the files from two notebooks and one desktop, and still store additional files that may be accessed by each of my computers from time to time?
- Asked by Barry L from Deerfield Beach
- 01 6, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the hard-drive do double-duty doing TimeMachine back-ups of my computers and also store lots of files to free up hard disk space on my laptop?)
I do exactly that...
I have created a movies directory and copied all videos onto it. That directory is visible to all computers.
I also backup 2 macbooks to the same drive.
can i use this as my comcast xfinity router
I ordered Comcast's internet service but I plan to purchase my own router. can I use an airport Time capsule as the router without another device?
- Asked by Nicholas L from Chicago
- 03 15, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (can i use this as my comcast xfinity router)
There are two different items here, though.
You first need a cable modem connected to your physical Comcast cable and essentially "receive" your internet service. Then, if you want to add wi-fi capability, you need a router. This device (Airport Extreme or Time Capsule) will fill the second roll of wi-fi router, but it will not serve as the cable modem.
You will either need to rent a cable modem from Comcast or purchase your own cable modem, then you could connect this device to the cable modem to give you wi-fi.
- Answered by Anthony W from Brigham City
- 03 24, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i use this as my comcast xfinity router)
Can i use an external hard drive with the Time Capsule as a separate time machine?
I have an iMac with a 1TB fusion Drive and a Macbook Air with a 128GB SSD. I want to use the Time Capsule to back up my iMac and i want to use an external drive connected to the time capsule to back up my macbook air using time machine.
- Asked by Corin G
- 07 22, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i use an external hard drive with the Time Capsule as a separate time machine?)
Yes, Time Machine now allows multiple hard drives and time capsules.
- Answered by Frederic L
- 10 8, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can i use an external hard drive with the Time Capsule as a separate time machine?)
Yes, the Access Control / Time limit configuration does not differentiate between non-Apple and Apple hardware. It only requires a MAC address (Hardware identifier that has nothing to do with Mac OS) of the connected the device. You can find this in the settings / configurations menu of most modern hardware - often it is also written outside onto a label of the device. Keep in mind that Ethernet and Wireless MAC addresses will be different for each device - so if the Playstation can connect by WiFi and Ethernet - make sure to constrain both MAC addresses.
- Answered by Christoph R from Princeton
- 01 17, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does the Airport Utility Time Limits Control also work with non-apple devices like Android-phones and Playstations?)
Does the AirPort Time Capsule function as an AirPort base station, in addition to wireless storage? Does Airport Extreme have additional features?
I need an AirPort base station, but I am leaning toward the Time Capsules instead of the Extreme. Is the Time Capsule missing any features that are offered with the Extreme.
- Asked by Michael M from Princeton
- 06 11, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the AirPort Time Capsule function as an AirPort base station, in addition to wireless storage? Does Airport Extreme have additional features?)
The simple answer is: Time Capsule can do everything a Airport Extreme can do.
But there're two more things that worth noticing:
1. AirPort Express can stream iTunes music to external speakers via AirPlay, but neither AirPort Extreme nor AirPort Time Capsule can do this.
2. Both AirPort Time Capsule and Airport Extreme support connecting to a USB hard drive, which means if you connect a hard drive to an Airport Extreme then it will work similar to AirPort Time Capsule.
Does 2013 Time Capsule support 5Ghz 802.11 'N' or is 5Ghz only for 'AC'?
I currently have no 802.11AC devices, and 2.4ghz is congested in my area.
Can I turn off 'AC' and use 5ghz frequency for 802.11N, so that my 3rd Gen iPad, iPhone 5 etc can connect on 5ghz band?
From what I've read, it looks like 2.4ghz is N and 5Ghz is AC, can this be changed?
- Asked by Isaac I from Pacific Pines
- 08 14, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Does 2013 Time Capsule support 5Ghz 802.11 'N' or is 5Ghz only for 'AC'?)
All wifi clients can use the 5ghz band for .n if it has a dual band wifi adapter which it sounds like you do.
- Answered by Tyler D from Sudbury
- 03 28, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does 2013 Time Capsule support 5Ghz 802.11 'N' or is 5Ghz only for 'AC'?)
Is there a way to check the disk drive's condition or health?
The drive is starting to make some noise where it was virtually silent for three years. I'm concerned it might fail. I've restarted the drive a couple of times to verify the disk (as instructed by Apple) and no sign of a problem. Any suggestions?
- Asked by Bruce B from Westlake Village
- 08 17, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there a way to check the disk drive's condition or health?)