Questions & Answers for AirPort Extreme
514 Questions from the Community
Do you need to keep your Mac connected to Airport Extreme to work?. Can you use the same Mac wirelessly and not have to keep it wired to the extreme?Answer
The AP Extreme allows you to use your Mac wirelessly. You don't need to have it wired to the Extreme.
What is the real bandwidth that Airport can handle in the local network (wired and Wi-Fi)?
I'm trying to compare Apple Airport Extreme with other routers with similar characteristics, so it's important to check the bandwidth but Apple don't talk about this in the specifications sheet.
- Asked by Camilo C from Bogota
- 01 28, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the real bandwidth that Airport can handle in the local network (wired and Wi-Fi)?)
Yes it can as the Airport Extreme supports 802.11b which is what is on the G4.
- Answered by Colin L from Toronto
- 11 29, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can a PowerBook G4 with OSX v10.4.11 access an Airport Extreme 802.11ac wireless network?)
Will an Airport Time Capsule back up windows devices wirelessly?
- Asked by Robert K from Mesa
- 03 30, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Will an Airport Time Capsule back up windows devices wirelessly?)
No it won't, you'll have to use a separate modem that supports PPPoE to PPPoA bridging
- Answered by Edward H
- 06 11, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this work with PPPoA as well as PPPoE without using it in bridge mode?)
What are the devices that these different frequencies use
- Asked by Micky R from Corona
- 10 25, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (What are the devices that these different frequencies use)
What is the operating temperature range?
- Asked by Loc L from Mount Juliet
- 10 12, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the operating temperature range?)
what is AC iphone in 5s stand for ??
my iphone 5s is Immerses in the water and not working. i put it in rice for two days
after that , i go to maintenance in some store , he said you have to replace the part called AC in order to functioning well
what is AC , and its important to power on the device????
- Asked by Ahmad M from Springfield Gardens
- 06 9, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (what is AC iphone in 5s stand for ??)
You will need Airport Utility 6.3 or higher which is only available on OS X 10.7.5 or higher. However you can also configure it with a mobile device using iOS 6.0 or higher
- Answered by Tyler S from Boise
- 06 13, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I noticed that 10.7.5 is required. I have 10.6.8 on my iMac, will this work?)
Yes. I did not know previously that the u-verse modem would suffice to connect all my devices wirelessly to the internet, but I have the airport extreme connected to the u-verse modem to provide an alternative wireless which has features that the AT&T modem does not have.
- Answered by Bradley S from Manhattan
- 11 5, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can I connect it to my AT&T U-Vrese modem router to AirPort Extreme for use in home?)
Yes. However, I had to go back to an older computer that had Airport Utility version 6 before Airport Extreme was able to recognize Airport Express. I was able to update to version 7 after that with my current computer.
- Answered by Daniel T from Redlands
- 11 25, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can you extend the new AirPort Extreme to an older generation airport express (aprox 2008)?)
Is the airport extreme MoCA capable?
- Asked by Bruce L from Aptos
- 02 7, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the airport extreme MoCA capable?)
What is the warranty on Airport Extreme?
- Asked by Ernest R from Coto De Caza
- 05 17, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the warranty on Airport Extreme?)
Does the Airport Extreme and/or Time Capsule support vlan tagging for either of the two networks (wireless/guest)?
It seems the guest network only allows access out through the WAN interface? or can it be set to utilize a guest vlan allowing a separate router to determine what access wireless guest devices may have.
How about multiple ssid support?
- Asked by Daniel C from Evanston
- 06 13, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (vlan tagging)
As far as multiple ssid support, there is one ssid for the guest network & one ssid for the primary network.
The guest network is completely disparate from the primary network, with no vlan tagging support within the controlling software for either network.
I know it's not a happy answer, but it answers your question.
- Answered by Norman L from Richardson
- 09 27, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (vlan tagging)
How many virtual ports can you set up?
I access a lot of devices from the internet when I'm away from home. So how many virtual ports can you set up with the Airport Extreme? 20, 30, 50, 100 or ?
- Asked by David H from Ingleside
- 06 24, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (How many virtual ports can you set up?)
airport time capsule or cloud which is better are they the same
- Asked by Jenny J from Dayton
- 07 22, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (airport time capsule or cloud which is better are they the same)
Can i use airport extreme with my Sony 4K media player?
i bought a sony 4K media player but i don't have enough port to connect since i have the old airport express,can i use this new airport extreme with my 4K media player now?If so,what connectors/cables do i need?
- Asked by Felipe B from Newark
- 06 14, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i use airport extreme with my Sony 4K media player?)
What exactly does the wifi ac protocol do? Is it faster? Is it a stronger signal? Do you need a computer that has wifi ac to take advantage of this?
No answers yet