Questions & Answers for AirPort Extreme
519 Questions from the Community
does it support micosoft products
- Asked by Tommy C from Markham
- 04 3, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (does it support micosoft products)
Yes My windows laptop works nicely with this device
- Answered by Eric A from Fond Du Lac
- 04 18, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (does it support micosoft products)
Does naming the 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks the same thing (default setting) cause AirPlay and AirPrint problems?
I have had problems with HomeSharing, AirPrint, AirDrop, AirPlay, and iTunes wifi syncing and I was wondering if the dual-band capabilities of the AirPort Extreme might have anything to do with it. I know some of the devices in the house are older and may not be able to use 5GHz or 802.11ac.
- Asked by Todd B from Columbia
- 01 5, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Does naming the 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks the same thing (default setting) cause AirPlay and AirPrint problems?)
Hi I currently have Westell VersaLink 7500 gateway from Verizon. Is it possible to use the Airport Extreme has the router instead of the gateway?
No answers yet
Windows 7 compatability
I have a mini-mac, so no problem, but my wife's computer is an Acer Windows 7 lap that she uses for work, came with an Qualcomm Atheros AR956x Wireless Network Adapter (seems to be a single channel wifi). Will this connect to an Airport Extreme? I presently have a Canon MG5220 wireless printer and I can't seem to be able to get both the mini-mac and her lap to connect on my Netgear R6250, and I realize that I will need to upgrade the printer to an AirPrint compatible printer, but I can't get the Acer to see the Higher end network of the router.
- Asked by Robert H from Fort Worth
- 12 23, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Windows 7 compatability)
I did confirm that it works great with the first generation airport express as an airplay connection.
- Answered by Drew W from Kitchener
- 09 21, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does the new AirPort Extreme AC router connect to the original Airport Express so I can use the AirPlay output?)
Do I need any other accessories to connect airport extreme? Cables?
- Asked by Bernadette S from Westerose
- 09 1, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Do I need any other accessories to connect airport extreme? Cables?)
Will the airport extreme work with my very slow internet connection? Or I would have to pay triple price for better internet connection before I buy
No answers yet
Can I set this up as a wireless print server that can pair up with my home wireless internet router?
Our new home has the internet access point on the main floor and our office is set up on the second floor. I would rather not drill a hole through the floor/ceiling and run cables through the walls to connect the printer to the access router. Can I setup the Airport Express to connect with our internet router wirelessly and also connect our 2 printers to create an extended network that makes our printers wireless? (one printer is only USB and the other is network ready)
- Asked by Robert H from Elk Grove
- 08 2, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I set this up as a wireless print server that can pair up with my home wireless internet router?)
what does the amber light vs the green light on the router mean?
It's been suggested that it means the router has an update. If that's correct, how do I get the update?
- Asked by William B from Amherst
- 10 25, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (what does the amber light vs the green light on the router mean?)
how to bridge airport express with airport extreme
- Asked by Eric B from Seneca
- 07 28, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (how to bridge airport express with airport extreme)
If I attach the Airport Extreme to my existing UVerse modem and use the Airport Extreme for WiFI will I acheive faster speeds from it than the Uverse?
I have an existing UVerse modem. Can I attach the Airport Extreme to it to use for WIFi and achieve faster speeds from it than I currently get from the UVerse WiFi?Answer
it depends on you internet speeds that you get. if you have a really slow internet connection the airport extreme won't help. If you have a good internet speeds it will help make things load faster. if you have a new ios, or mac device you will see a big jump in speeds due to a new and faster type of wifi that is in newer apple devices.
- Answered by Derek V from Grand Haven
- 01 7, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (If I attach the Airport Extreme to my existing UVerse modem and use the Airport Extreme for WiFI will I acheive faster speeds from it than the Uverse?)
Would it support an external USB hard drive formatted as Mac OS Extended Journaled Encrypted?
The older airport model that i have doesn't show the hard drive in finder if encrypted.
- Asked by Fadi A from Woodbridge
- 02 15, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Would it support an external USB hard drive formatted as Mac OS Extended Journaled Encrypted?)
what does adding a hard drive do to the air port extreme
I would like to add a hard drive to the air port extreme and like to know what will that do
- Asked by James R from Amarillo
- 03 17, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (what does adding a hard drive do to the air port extreme)
It will make it (the hard drive) accessible by any computer in your house, a solution if you want to have a centralized location for backups and/or storage (i.e. music, videos, pictures, etc.) - I'd still recommend backing up your external drive thou.
- Answered by Jaime A from Rochester
- 03 28, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (what does adding a hard drive do to the air port extreme)
I have an old iMac OS 10.5 that I'm using in Wifi mode - not connected to a modem. I understand fully that Airport extreme requires OS 10.7.5 and Airport Utility 6.3 or IOS 6 and above. I have no desire to double upgrade the iMac. Could I set up and administer the Airport Extreme from an IOS 7 device and continue to connect my iMac through Wifi? Thanks
- Asked by Paul J from Elko
- 02 5, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Leopard Compatible?)
Does the Airport Extreme and/or Time Capsule support vlan tagging for either of the two networks (wireless/guest)?
It seems the guest network only allows access out through the WAN interface? or can it be set to utilize a guest vlan allowing a separate router to determine what access wireless guest devices may have.
How about multiple ssid support?
- Asked by Daniel C from Evanston
- 06 13, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (vlan tagging)
As far as multiple ssid support, there is one ssid for the guest network & one ssid for the primary network.
The guest network is completely disparate from the primary network, with no vlan tagging support within the controlling software for either network.
I know it's not a happy answer, but it answers your question.
- Answered by Norman L from Richardson
- 09 27, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (vlan tagging)
The new iPad mini is MIMO & not 802.11 AC. Does the 2013 AE also use MIMO & would that would bring speed benefits to new iPad mini users?
- Asked by James P D from London
- 10 25, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (The new iPad mini is MIMO & not 802.11 AC. Does the 2013 AE also use MIMO & would that would bring speed benefits to new iPad mini users?)
No answers yet
will this use the same ip range as my modem as my modem is plugged into a 48 port gigabit switch and i bought this to add to my switch
i want to make sure that all my wireless devices are all using the same ip range
- Asked by Stephen I from Birmingham
- 03 17, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (will this use the same ip range as my modem as my modem is plugged into a 48 port gigabit switch and i bought this to add to my switch)
how large of an area does it cover, I need to know how many meters or ft does it support in free space .? And how much does it affect if wall existed?
No answers yet
I have an airport express can I connect it directly to a modem, extend from there to another room i.e. my Office and then use a time capsule
I have an airport express can I connect it directly to a modem, so I can use this downstairs for wifi and then run ethernet cable form it upstairs to my Office and then connect it to a time capsule or Airport extreme.
If this is a good way to do it what would be the best modem? UK on virgin broadband NOT cable :(
OR is there a better way??????
No answers yet