Questions & Answers for AirPort Extreme
523 Questions from the Community
What electric AC power use?
- Asked by Juan D from Las Rozas De Madrid
- 07 8, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (What electric AC power use?)
will it work with my windows7 desktop? and will it work with my PS3?
- Asked by Dave S from Phoenix
- 06 11, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (will it work with my windows7 desktop? and will it work with my PS3?)
Yes it will.
Asuming your desktop has either a WiFi card built in or you plan on connecting to the AirPort Extreme via an Ethernet cable.
Your PS3 will also be able to connect to the AirPort Extreme via WiFi. However not at the fancy new speeds as the PS3 does not support 802.11ac
- Answered by Christopher G
- 06 11, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (will it work with my windows7 desktop? and will it work with my PS3?)
can you back up more than one mac on an aurpot extreme
airport extreme for back up---more than one computer?
- Asked by Wm H from New York
- 10 22, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (can you back up more than one mac on an aurpot extreme)
You'll need the time machine version to back up unless you connect another proprietry harddrive to the network. In both cases that will cope with multiple machine backups. You are only limitwed by the size of the harddrive in relation to the siz (space used) of harddrives installed on your computer(s)
- Answered by Bruce W
- 11 9, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can you back up more than one mac on an aurpot extreme)
Will an AirPort Extreme work with Webpass
- Asked by Brad H from San Diego
- 05 16, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Will an AirPort Extreme work with Webpass)
Will Final Cut X be able to see a Hard Drive attached via USB over the Wi-Fi network?
At the moment, FCP X doesn't see a drive unless there is storage attached directly to the computer via USB, Firewire or SAN.
Will FCP X see any hard drive over the Wi-Fi network that is attatched to the new Airport Ex?
Basically, is this new Airport Ex a sort of NAS?
- Asked by Jamie M from Reading
- 06 11, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Will Final Cut X be able to see a Hard Drive attached via USB over the Wi-Fi network?)
How do I set up Airport Extreme as BOTH a Switch AND Wireless Access Point?
My Comcast Modem is a Motorola SBG6580 which is a combination modem/router. I have a password protected LAN connecting both wired and wireless devices. In my office I want to install an Airport Extreme connected to the Motorola with a CAT 6 cable, and then cable-connect my iMAC to the Airport Extreme, AND use the Wireless capability of the Apple Extreme to connect iPhone and IPad.
The Apple Extreme would function as a switch for the connecting the iMAC to the LAN, and as an Access Point for the wireless devices. Can this be done? How do I navigate the setup choices?
- Asked by William H H from San Francisco
- 11 7, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (How do I set up Airport Extreme as BOTH a Switch AND Wireless Access Point?)
If I have a 2007 Macbook, 2008 iMac, 2010 Mac Mini and 2012 Macbook Pro, would they be able to use the new Airport Extreme (802.11ac)?
- Asked by Coleridge S from Fpo
- 05 29, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (If I have a 2007 Macbook, 2008 iMac, 2010 Mac Mini and 2012 Macbook Pro, would they be able to use the new Airport Extreme (802.11ac)?)
does the airport extreme support media DLNA
I have Samsung entertainment devices like a smart tv & smart dvd player.I guess my question is can the airport extreme work with a Samsung smart tv & smart dvd player with out using a apple tv ?
- Asked by Hebel R from Bronx
- 08 15, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (does the airport extreme support media DLNA)
I use an extender with the Airport Extreme. I have not had any problems. The only hassle was figuring out how to get the extender to work properly as the extender documentation was vague at best. It's important to note that the Extreme didn't need to have the signal boosted, but I had previously purchased the extender and decided to incorporate it into the mix.
For most part it is easy to set up, but you have to read your documentation and know your exact Network name and password. The extender should see it and guide you through the steps to get you started.
- Answered by Jacki B from Garland
- 08 27, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I just bought the AirPort Extreme and can I connect a repeater into it and if it is possible, how?)
Can you clone a MAC address with this model? I know you couldn't do it with previous models.
The reason MAC address cloning is important to me is because Comcast never changes the MAC address they have on file (even though they say they do), so if your new router has a different value you can't access the Internet on it. Has this changed with this model?
- Asked by Brian L from South San Francisco
- 09 18, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you clone a MAC address with this model? I know you couldn't do it with previous models.)
There is no mac address cloning for this device like the other routers but as long the settings for this network is off bridge and set to dhcp and will work fine this will act like a switch using the same assign ip range from ur cable modem.
- Answered by Graciano A from Artesia
- 12 19, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can you clone a MAC address with this model? I know you couldn't do it with previous models.)
Can you do port forwarding?
Can you enter to your router settings to port forward?
- Asked by Julien K from Gatineau
- 06 16, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you do port forwarding?)
Does the Airport Extreme work with Fixed wireless NBN
- Asked by Jennifer D from Winslow
- 08 28, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Airport Extreme work with Fixed wireless NBN)
My Optus supplied sagemcom f@st 3864 modem which was connected to the NBN.
Had a power outage, when it came back on the modem was fried.
Tried to reset it but no instructions anywhere on the net for this modem.
Read an article suggesting to try the Airport Extreme. So I did.
To my shock it worked perfectly, just factory restored the Airport Extreme and set up as a new network, it seemed to choose all the right settings for me.
Just plugged the ethernet from the fibre box directly into the extreme and it worked well both wirelessly and wired on a few close devices.
No good for Voip Phone obviously but if its just internet you need than this modem shocked the pants off me, it seems a lot quicker than the sagecom and not as many drop outs which are annoying.
The only setting I altered was the security setting from the defaulted WPA2 Personal to WPA/WPA2 Personal as I have a mixture of old and new devices mostly apple.
Good luck, i was using my extreme to extend my wireless network. Considering how good it works I might buy another to extend this network if I get issues out the back of the property with wireless even though the range seems to be better than the optus supplied version also.
Thanks, I hope this helps
- Answered by Steven B from Blacktown
- 10 24, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does the Airport Extreme work with Fixed wireless NBN)
Does AirPort Extreme work with ip camera?
I am using ip camera at home, can I set up the ip camera with the AirPort Extreme?
- Asked by Wing Yan Katie H
- 11 10, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Does AirPort Extreme work with ip camera?)
Can the 2.4GHz radio be turned off?
I need to use only the 5GHz radio, turn off the 2.4GHz radio to limit interference.
I have submitted this question, now a 4th time! Please post! My first attempt was over the last weekend.
- Asked by Mark D from Ridgeland
- 04 16, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the 2.4GHz radio be turned off?)
Does the new Airport Extreme have a fan that makes noise?
- Asked by Nathan L from Saint Louis
- 07 21, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the new Airport Extreme have a fan that makes noise?)
If I have a windows laptop, do I have to/ can I set the airport extreme 2013 up with my ipad? Or will Airport utility be available for Windows 7?
I have a Windows 7 laptop, and my current router, a Linksys WRT110, isn't cutting it. It constantly drops signals/ crashes, and I will need my own router (the linksys is my parents') when I move out. I am trying to decide between this, and the new Asus router, but I heard that Airport utility 6.0 and later aren't compatible with Windows.
Is it going to be compatible in the future?
Can I use Utility 5.6.1 with the 2013 Airport extreme?
Can I setup the airport extreme with the Utility app on my iPad?Best Answer:
You can of course use the Airport Extreme as a normal WiFi router but other have mentioned that Apple support confirmed that you cannot currently configure the Airport Extreme using Windows. Nor can you using Airport Utility 5.6.1 on a Mac for that matter since it requires Airport Utility 6.3 or higher.
You can however use your iPad so long as it is running iOS 6.0 or higher using the Airport Utility app.
The modem provided by my internet provider also serves as a wireless router. How will the AirPort Extreme work in this situation? Is it redundant?
I do not understand how the Airport Extreme works when I already have a wi-fi network. What is the difference between the AirPort Express and the Airport Extreme?Best Answer:
I would recommend turning off the wifi in your cable internet router, as I did. I only use my Airport as a wifi access point, for the same reasons as above.
- Answered by Douglas W W from Castle Rock
- 09 24, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (The modem provided by my internet provider also serves as a wireless router. How will the AirPort Extreme work in this situation? Is it redundant?)
how do i set up Airport Extreme to achieve maximum range in my house?
Airport Extreme router
- Asked by Ronald L from Abbotsford
- 06 13, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (how do i set up Airport Extreme to achieve maximum range in my house?)
How do I connect a d-link extender to an AirPort Extreme?
- Asked by Steve W from Lebanon
- 07 21, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (How do I connect a d-link extender to an AirPort Extreme?)