Questions & Answers for AirPort Extreme
513 Questions from the Community
is there a range extender that is compatible with airport extreme
- Asked by Sara H from St. Paul
- 12 28, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (is there a range extender that is compatible with airport extreme)
Yes. The AirPort Express can be used as a wifi extender with the AirPort Extreme base station :)
- Answered by Brandon Y from Lethbridge
- 01 11, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (is there a range extender that is compatible with airport extreme)
How is the Airport Extreme more secure than other routers?
I have a neighbor who is a determined wi-fi hacker who has been able to hack into my network no matter how difficult the passwords. Can I turn down the power on the extreme so his signal is weak? What features on this unit will help me thwart his efforts? I've already turned off WPS on my current router, UPnP and all that other stuff. I know MAC filtering is useless as is hiding the SSID. What can I do to make the router secure?
- Asked by Karen E from Santa Rosa
- 06 2, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (How is the Airport Extreme more secure than other routers?)
Use Wpa2 a and long passcode, if he still gets in he is getting the access information from something. Most likely, one of your machines is compromised - he has access to I it - and that's how he keeps getting in.
- Answered by Scott F from Ossining
- 08 2, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How is the Airport Extreme more secure than other routers?)
Which apple devices currently support wireless ac?
- Asked by Richard G from Lawrenceville
- 06 11, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Which apple devices currently support wireless ac?)
As of right now, only the new 2013 MacBook Air support 802.11ac WiFi networking.
- Answered by Kurtis F from Victorville
- 06 11, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Which apple devices currently support wireless ac?)
I use an extender with the Airport Extreme. I have not had any problems. The only hassle was figuring out how to get the extender to work properly as the extender documentation was vague at best. It's important to note that the Extreme didn't need to have the signal boosted, but I had previously purchased the extender and decided to incorporate it into the mix.
For most part it is easy to set up, but you have to read your documentation and know your exact Network name and password. The extender should see it and guide you through the steps to get you started.
- Answered by Jacki B from Garland
- 08 27, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I just bought the AirPort Extreme and can I connect a repeater into it and if it is possible, how?)
Can you clone a MAC address with this model? I know you couldn't do it with previous models.
The reason MAC address cloning is important to me is because Comcast never changes the MAC address they have on file (even though they say they do), so if your new router has a different value you can't access the Internet on it. Has this changed with this model?
- Asked by Brian L from South San Francisco
- 09 18, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you clone a MAC address with this model? I know you couldn't do it with previous models.)
There is no mac address cloning for this device like the other routers but as long the settings for this network is off bridge and set to dhcp and will work fine this will act like a switch using the same assign ip range from ur cable modem.
- Answered by Graciano A from Artesia
- 12 19, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can you clone a MAC address with this model? I know you couldn't do it with previous models.)
Does the new Extreme support VPN/PPTP? Does it support DDNS?
- Asked by Matthew L from Baltimore
- 06 13, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the new Extreme support VPN/PPTP? Does it support DDNS?)
Can this AirPort Extreme support uPnP required by my home server?
- Asked by Howard L from Fremont
- 03 15, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this AirPort Extreme support uPnP required by my home server?)
- Answered by Giuseppe F from American Fork
- 05 14, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can this AirPort Extreme support uPnP required by my home server?)
i have verizon fios with a router they provide. should i detach that and use airport extreme in place of it ? or does AE attach to the fios router?
im unsure if i add airport extreme or replace my router with it - i want better speeds and connectivity through my house for my iPhone, mac and apple tv.....my service is verizon fios quantumBest Answer:
I have Verizon Fios and I connect the AE to their modem; I don't have their wireless router. Apple's AE works just fine connected to their modem.
If I have a windows laptop, do I have to/ can I set the airport extreme 2013 up with my ipad? Or will Airport utility be available for Windows 7?
I have a Windows 7 laptop, and my current router, a Linksys WRT110, isn't cutting it. It constantly drops signals/ crashes, and I will need my own router (the linksys is my parents') when I move out. I am trying to decide between this, and the new Asus router, but I heard that Airport utility 6.0 and later aren't compatible with Windows.
Is it going to be compatible in the future?
Can I use Utility 5.6.1 with the 2013 Airport extreme?
Can I setup the airport extreme with the Utility app on my iPad?Best Answer:
You can of course use the Airport Extreme as a normal WiFi router but other have mentioned that Apple support confirmed that you cannot currently configure the Airport Extreme using Windows. Nor can you using Airport Utility 5.6.1 on a Mac for that matter since it requires Airport Utility 6.3 or higher.
You can however use your iPad so long as it is running iOS 6.0 or higher using the Airport Utility app.
Can I use a USB 3.0 HD with Airport Extreme?
- Asked by Joe S from Omaha
- 04 28, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use a USB 3.0 HD with Airport Extreme?)
Yes, but data will transfer at slower USB2 speeds because the Airport unit only supports USB2.
- Answered by Matthew K from Drexel Hill
- 07 12, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use a USB 3.0 HD with Airport Extreme?)
Can I print from an iPhone and iPad to a non-airprint-compatible USB printer which will be plugged into the USB port of the latest Airport Express?Answer
Non-airprint printers might work but only via 3rd party IOS (and/or Macintosh) apps - not via Apple's IOS interface. For the cost of the Airport Express you could almost buy a new printer which is AirPrint enabled.
how do i set up Airport Extreme to achieve maximum range in my house?
Airport Extreme router
- Asked by Ronald L from Abbotsford
- 06 13, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (how do i set up Airport Extreme to achieve maximum range in my house?)
Can usb speakers be connected to this device?
- Asked by Jack D from Waianae
- 06 14, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Can usb speakers be connected to this device?)
How do I set up Airport Extreme as BOTH a Switch AND Wireless Access Point?
My Comcast Modem is a Motorola SBG6580 which is a combination modem/router. I have a password protected LAN connecting both wired and wireless devices. In my office I want to install an Airport Extreme connected to the Motorola with a CAT 6 cable, and then cable-connect my iMAC to the Airport Extreme, AND use the Wireless capability of the Apple Extreme to connect iPhone and IPad.
The Apple Extreme would function as a switch for the connecting the iMAC to the LAN, and as an Access Point for the wireless devices. Can this be done? How do I navigate the setup choices?
- Asked by William H H from San Francisco
- 11 7, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (How do I set up Airport Extreme as BOTH a Switch AND Wireless Access Point?)