Questions & Answers for AirPort Extreme
516 Questions from the Community
Can Airport Extreme Expand a high-speed network wirelessly?
- Asked by Lee Y from Brisbane
- 08 8, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can Airport Extreme Expand a high-speed network wirelessly?)
Yes, it will.
- Answered by Will T from Russellville
- 09 9, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can Airport Extreme Expand a high-speed network wirelessly?)
Yes, not a problem. We have 3 laptops, 2 iPads, 3 iPhones, 2 printers, Apple TV, all work well at the same time.
- Answered by Daniel T from Redlands
- 01 30, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (We have 2 P.C.s plus ipads iphones directv Netflix apple tv etc will this support all of these)
can I use my iPhone as internet source through a high powered router?
I have a second house (farm house) and no cable internet available. I am currently using my iPhone as the hotspot (with limited range - big house). Is it possible to use my iPhone as the source for a router that would then distribute the internet access to laptop, PC, other devices?
- Asked by Martin B from Montreal
- 01 14, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (can I use my iPhone as internet source through a high powered router?)
I don't think so but you should be able to use any Macbook Pro, Macbook Air or iMac and share the internet connection over the network to other computers, Mac or PC, essentially using the Mac as the router and the iPhone as the modem, This should also be possible on a PC.
- Answered by Robert C
- 02 24, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can I use my iPhone as internet source through a high powered router?)
Does the new airport extreme support DLNA for the attached USB hard drive?
- Asked by Noah H from San Francisco
- 06 12, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the new airport extreme support DLNA for the attached USB hard drive?)
At my work I do not have any wi fi for my iPad. Is this product portable? and would it give me the same quality of wifi anywhere i went?
- Asked by Steven C from Milton
- 06 15, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (At my work I do not have any wi fi for my iPad. Is this product portable? and would it give me the same quality of wifi anywhere i went?)
Wifi access points such as this are not portable. You would need to get an iPad capable of cellular data service or get a portable wifi hotspot from someone like verizon or att. Generally when your talking about wifi its going to be wireless internet stationary in one general area.
- Answered by Patrick N from Summertown
- 06 26, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (At my work I do not have any wi fi for my iPad. Is this product portable? and would it give me the same quality of wifi anywhere i went?)
is there a range extender that is compatible with airport extreme
- Asked by Sara H from St. Paul
- 12 28, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (is there a range extender that is compatible with airport extreme)
Yes. The AirPort Express can be used as a wifi extender with the AirPort Extreme base station :)
- Answered by Brandon Y from Lethbridge
- 01 11, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (is there a range extender that is compatible with airport extreme)
What is the warranty on this product?
- Asked by Jim C from Hillsboro
- 07 15, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the warranty on this product?)
Most Electronics comes with minimum 1 yr warranty against defects excluding accidental.
- Answered by Graciano A from Artesia
- 12 19, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What is the warranty on this product?)
I hoping somebody can tell me how long the power cable is? With the older airport extremes one had a very long cable as it was "bricked".Best Answer:
6 feet long, not "bricked".
- Answered by Steven H from Saint Paul
- 06 30, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I hoping somebody can tell me how long the power cable is? With the older airport extremes one had a very long cable as it was "bricked".)
I stand corrected. The answer is YES.
As David has reported, the actual manual for this Airport Extreme model says:-
Using Time Machine with Your AirPort Extreme
If you connect a USB hard disk to your AirPort Extreme, you can use the Time Machine application to back up all your Mac computers, including your photos, music, movies, and documents.
After you set up Time Machine, it automatically backs up your computer on a regular basis.
Use Time Machine preferences to set up automatic backups, use a different backup disk, or adjust other settings.
To set up or adjust Time Machine on a computer using Mac OS X v10.5.7 or later: 1 Choose Apple > System Preferences, and then click Time Machine.
2 Slide the switch to ON.
3 Click Select Disk.
4 Choose your AirPort Extreme and click Use Disk.
Important: Your first backup with Time Machine could take overnight or longer, depending on how much data you’re backing up. To speed up the initial backup, connect your AirPort Extreme to your computer using Ethernet. In each subsequent backup, Time Machine backs up only files that have changed since the previous backup, so the backups don’t take as long.
Chapter 2 Setting Up Your AirPort Extreme 13
If you shut down your Mac or put it to sleep during a backup, Time Machine stops the backup and then continues where it left off after your Mac starts up again.
For more information about Time Machine, choose Help > Help Center from the Finder on Mac, and then enter Time Machine in the search field.
- Answered by John K from Westborough
- 01 8, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does this new Airport Extreme support the use of an attached hard drive as a Time Machine backup device?)
I am about to move into a long (front to back) home with two floors. I want the WiFi to be as strong upstairs as down.
Will the AirPort extreme do a good job of throwing the signal up/down? Should I put it upstairs or down?
- Asked by Mark J from Killeen
- 09 14, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (I am about to move into a long (front to back) home with two floors. I want the WiFi to be as strong upstairs as down.)
It depends on the layout of your house and where the wireless devices will be located. If you have a lot of walls between the device and the AirPort Extreme, you might have a weaker signal and poor network speed. You also want to try and put the Extreme in as much of a central location in the house as you can. I was in what sounds like a similar house and the AirPort Extreme did well in all rooms except one. The AirPort Extreme was located downstairs in one corner of the house. The room that had a very slow connection was upstairs in the opposite corner of the house. I bought an AirPort Express and put it at the top of the stairs, high on a wall. I used the Express to extend the range of the Extreme and I had great speed in the room that was having issues before.
- Answered by Randy K from Houston
- 11 1, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I am about to move into a long (front to back) home with two floors. I want the WiFi to be as strong upstairs as down.)
I had the same question about doing this with an at&t u-verse modem. I could not find anything conclusive, but I stumbled upon an easy configuration that is working beautifully.
All I did was make an ethernet connection from my modem to the AirPort Extreme via the LAN on both devices. DO NOT use the WAN on the AirPort Extreme. I know that sounds odd, but it will not work using the WAN in this set-up. Then go to the AirPort Extreme set-up app and place it in bridge mode (off). Do not let this fool you. You will still have full functionality of your AirPort Extreme. Do a re-start. You should be good to go! If this does not work check to see if the LAN is active on your Verizon modem. It should be by default.
I hope this helps! God bless.
- Answered by Tommie P from Brookfield
- 10 22, 16
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How do I set up me airport time capsule to work with my internet provider's modem (verizon). Thank you!)
can i connect an external drive to the airport express for backup?
I want to do wireless backup to a disk, so i connected it to the airport express. The time machine sees it, but does not allow me to backup
- Asked by Ariel A from San Juan
- 10 22, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (can i connect an external drive to the airport express for backup?)
No, not with the Airport Express.
You can do it with the latest version of the Airport Extreme though.
Having had two failed Time Capsule hard drives, I'd strong recommend getting an Airport Extreme and an external hard drive, so that you don't need to throw away the Time Capsule as a router if the hard drives fails.
- Answered by Andrew M
- 05 8, 16
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i connect an external drive to the airport express for backup?)
Does the beamforming of the new AP Extreme also apply to 802.11n bands?
I am trying to determine if there is any benefit to be had by adding this device to my network that only uses 802.11n devices. If there is a faster transmission, a wider range, or beamforming I would be inclined to buy this product to enhance my home network and to improve my AppleTV response time and my Time Capsule backups.
- Asked by Christopher R from Charleston
- 06 12, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the beamforming of the new AP Extreme also apply to 802.11n bands?)
No, beaming is is limited to only 802.11AC devices. But you will likely notice improved performance over your current router.
- Answered by Michael T from Plano
- 06 13, 13
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does the beamforming of the new AP Extreme also apply to 802.11n bands?)
Is the AirPort Extreme Compatable with a Comcast Modem/Router
Please Hang with me here, I am NOT an Apple User as of "YET", and not really great at Computer Language. That said, here goes.
1). I own a 2 year old DELL Laptop, (Don't Like It at all)! its Slow, has 4 Gigs of RAM and a 2.16 Gighrtz Processor. I am Looking to go with an Apple Laptop.
2). We have Comcast Internet Service Wireless Router Modem that is 150MB Download and 12MB Upload. It is there Latest Modem and was replaced 2 weeks ago. I use my Laptop Hardwired to the Modem with an Ethernet Cable, My Wife has a Dell Desktop that is Hard Wired also, if I switch to wireless "IE" Unplug the Ethernet Cable, I can go to Starbucks and get a cup of coffee and come back and the Page "MIGHT BE" Loaded. Wired, it aint much faster!
So, I have talked to some friends that have apple Computer Laptops and swear by them. What I don't know is, are they Wireless "ONLY"? How do I use my Printer that has a USB Cable attached (Not Wireless)?
3). If I buy an Apple Laptop Computer, And, want to use it at its FASTEST / BEST Speeds and Capabilities, can I purchase the AirPort Extreme, and use it with or Attached to the Comcast Modem to get better Distance and more reliable Internet service? We Stream Netflix, VuDu, Pandora, and such regularly. Our TV Is an older Plasma Unit from 2003 and we have DIRECT TV with the Wireless GENIE'S, Can someone Explain to me in Layman's Terms if this will work without me having to call Comcast In the Philippines and getting all Upset, And, just what I have to do if I go to the Expense of Switching over to APPLE and an AirPort Extreme Router. Sorry if I have forgotten anything, but I am not sure how much longer I can deal with DELL. My wife has No Intention of switching anything with her system until it Fails, and does not want to go away from the Hard Wired Set up. Any Help is Appreciated. Thank You So Much. Ken Davis. By The Way, my Family all has I Phones and I Pads...
- Asked by Ken D from San Jose
- 03 4, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the AirPort Extreme Compatable with a Comcast Modem/Router)
yes. just got this and it's working. it's also much faster than I dreamed it could be, and I could not believe the setup process. If I had to guess, I would say it took me about 2 minutes because I had to reboot. Pleasantly surprised! When you use a modem/router, you will have to tell Comcast to disable the router part. it may take some effort. A better way is to buy your own modem, and they work great together. (I have an Arris g surfboard modem and this router - it's so fast!)
- Answered by Rochelle A. A from Dublin
- 03 17, 16
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is the AirPort Extreme Compatable with a Comcast Modem/Router)
Can this be used without an internet connection or does your modem need to be connected
I have a modem and an iOS device but no external internet connection
- Asked by Merrit G from Mount Morris
- 11 26, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this be used without an internet connection or does your modem need to be connected)
Yes you can use this without an internet connection.
If you don't need or have access to the internet you can still use it (or any router) to route all your networkable devices. For example, if you are streaming video or music from an older computer to your TV or speakers. Or if you have many computers/printers and don't need to access the internet.
BUT, you will need a DSL/Cable modem to connect to the router to access the internet though. This is not a modem AND a router, it is only a router.
- Answered by Jay B from Longview
- 01 29, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can this be used without an internet connection or does your modem need to be connected)
Can I use Direct tv and verizon wireless with Apple tv
- Asked by Kevin D from Snelling
- 02 18, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use Direct tv and verizon wireless with Apple tv)
Does Airport Extreme work with Time Capsule?
At present I have a Time Capsule next to my router and an Airport Express elsewhere in the house to extend the range. However I still have areas where I cannot receive WiFi. If I replace the Express with an Extreme will I get a better and more far reaching signal? Or should I just buy another Express?
- Asked by Margaret S from Tiverton
- 08 31, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Does Airport Extreme work with Time Capsule?)
It depends on which express and extreme you have. The newer the better capability. With the extreme you can usually get better reach since it has more antennas. I just setup my new time capsule and it has way better reach and speed then the last version of time capsule which is the airport extreme with an added hard drive. I was previously using an airport express as well and it did well but the time capsule was way better and the new one can replace both all together. I would recommend getting the new time capsule/airport extreme and selling the others. The new extreme/time capsule has 6 antennas now, 3 for 2.4ghz and 3 for 5ghz.
- Answered by Brooks S from Memphis
- 01 2, 14
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does Airport Extreme work with Time Capsule?)
Yes just plug it into the back the French router on the RJ45 port. I travel with a small Airport Express to Europe and build my own wireless network in hotels.
- Answered by Mick K
- 03 28, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can I use the airport express or airport extreme I have here in the USA in France)
The modem provided by my internet provider also serves as a wireless router. How will the AirPort Extreme work in this situation? Is it redundant?
I do not understand how the Airport Extreme works when I already have a wi-fi network. What is the difference between the AirPort Express and the Airport Extreme?Best Answer:
I would recommend turning off the wifi in your cable internet router, as I did. I only use my Airport as a wifi access point, for the same reasons as above.
- Answered by Douglas W W from Castle Rock
- 09 24, 15
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (The modem provided by my internet provider also serves as a wireless router. How will the AirPort Extreme work in this situation? Is it redundant?)