Can the late 2012 iMac be used as a monitor with this?
I want to connect my PC laptop (with HDMI port) and use iMac (with Thunderbolt 2 port) as external monitor/display.
1 Answer from the Community
No, according to Apple support document ht204592 "Use your iMac as a display with Target Display Mode". The iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) and iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010) allowed either a Thunderbolt or DisplayPort connection. You would need a HDMI 1.4 to DisplayPort adapter for that. The later iMacs (Mid 2011-Mid 2014) only allowed a Thunderbolt connection. If the iMac behaved as a standard Thunderbolt display, then there are adapters that could make it work (HDMI 1.4 to DisplayPort, Thunderbolt 3 add-in card and PCIe slot to power it, and an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter). But I don't think the iMac behaves as a standard Thunderbolt display because I can't find any reports of successful attempts to connect a Thunderbolt iMac in Target Display Mode to a PC running Windows. If the iMac does not behave as a standard Thunderbolt display, then it means the macOS must be sending video in a non-standard format over the Thunderbolt cable (not as a DisplayPort stream inside a Thunderbolt stream). Windows won't have the software to do that unless Apple writes a Windows driver to do it but that won't help you because you don't have a Thunderbolt port.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I have a late 2012 27inch iMac and a late 2012 21.5 inch iMac both with thunderbolt sockets. Can I connect the two together using the 21 as a monitor
- Asked by Hedi T from Vancouver
- 17 Feb 2019
- Flag as inappropriate I have a late 2012 27inch iMac and a late 2012 21.5 inch iMac both with thunderbolt sockets. Can I connect the two together using the 21 as a monitor
is this compatible with iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012) and iphone SE?
- Asked by Rachel D from Bensalem
- 24 May 2020
- Flag as inappropriate is this compatible with iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012) and iphone SE?
Can I use this with an iMac Late 2013
- Asked by Rodney O from Deerwood
- 30 Jan 2020
- Flag as inappropriate Can I use this with an iMac Late 2013