How closely matched does a replacement drive have to be? Can a drive be identical in size but different speed (access time / rpm)?
1 Answer from the Community
Being as this is either configured as RAID 5 (factory) or RAID 6 (user) you need to make sure that the drives are identical. Using non spec, non enterprise grade drives compromises the integrity of the RAID. Using a RAID 5 configuration, you can rebuild the RAID if one disk fails. It takes about a day to rebuild the RAID. If you lose another drive while rebuilding the RAID, ALL of the data is lost. RAID 6 allows for a 2 drive failure, at the expense of capacity. The best bet is to order replacement drives from Promise.
- Answered by Anthony A from Loveland
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Will this fit the ipad II Air? will it also allow thumbprint access?
- Asked by Donna B from Davisburg
- 19 Nov, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this fit the ipad II Air? will it also allow thumbprint access?)
- Asked about: STM Dux Case for iPad mini - Blue
can you partition the hard drive on time cap ?
- Asked by Mark L from Sycamore
- 7 Jul, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (can you partition the hard drive on time cap ?)
- Asked about: AirPort Extreme
No answers yet