Is USB-C connection the same as Thunderbolt 3? And what is Thunderbolt 1 and 2? Thanks
3 Answers from the Community
Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C (3.1 Gen2) share the same cable type and port. Although, standard USB-C allows transfer speeds up to 10GBps whilst Thunderbolt 3 allows for transfer speeds of up to 40GBps. Thunderbolt 1 & 2 are previous versions of the thunderbolt standard.
- Answered by James R
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Sort-off, the port is the same but Thunderbolt 3 devices won't work on a USB-C port. USB-C devices will work on Thunderbolt 3 ports.
Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 were kind of PCI-E combined with mini DisplayPort. It let you connect to external monitors, hard drives, and even GPUs. Thunderbolt had a speed of about 10Gbps and Thunderbolt 2 20Gbps and now Thunderbolt 3 is up to 40Gbps. Thunderbolt was intended to be able to do it all but few people used it until now, since nearly every newer laptop with a Skylake CPU has it.
- Answered by William W from Pittsburgh
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 are basically the same things, but Thunderbolt 3 is faster than USB-C. Thunderbolt 1 & 2 are previous versions of thunderbolt and transfer data slower than Thunderbolt 3.
- Answered by Jason H from Lewis Center
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Can I connect 3 Apple Thunderbolt 2 displays?
- Asked by Adam P from Beverly
- 18 Sep, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect 3 Apple Thunderbolt 2 displays?)
- Asked about: Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Express Dock H…
Will this device work with thunderbolt 1?
- Asked by Matthew B from Oatlands
- 27 Dec, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this device work with thunderbolt 1?)
- Asked about: Belkin Thunderbolt 2 Express HD Doc…
No answers yet
Does the "Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter" work together with the "Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter"?
- Asked by Christian K
- 28 Oct, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the "Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter" work together with the "Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter"?)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbol…