How secure is the remote viewing of the camera? Do I have to worry about hackers watching me in my house?
2 Answers from the Community
The security can be very good, but it will only be as good as you make it. Most Internet communications of any sensitivity (Apple's iCloud, Google Mail, your bank, etc.) use something called SSL, which stands for Secure Socket Layer. It is an encryption mechanism that prevents people from viewing your data by "tapping" your line. Your data is encrypted, transmitted, and then decrypted. If someone were to hack SSL, they'd be more interested in going after your bank than after the security camera in your home.
With that said, if you use poor security practices yourself, then your system can be hacked -- encryption will not help you if that happens. Poor security practices include opening websites from disreputable services (these include illegal downloading of movies, music, and software, as well as many websites providing pornography and gambling -- all these occasionally propagate malware), opening links or attachments in emails without first confirming they are legitimate (just because an email appears to be from a friend does not guarantee it is from a friend), using poor passwords (short, words, or default), and not periodically checking your computer for viruses.
If you use good security yourself, your system will provide you with very good security. There are, however, no guarantees. Unless you have a particular reason to do so, I wouldn't point a security camera anywhere into your bedroom.
Best of Luck,
- Answered by Mark W from Chantilly
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
As with any camera and similar device, you need to change your username and password to some thing hard to figure out.
- Answered by Joseph T from Des Moines
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Will this adapter allow me to view my CCTV security cameras on my Imac 10.5.8. The security DVR box has a VGA output. What would I need? Thanks.
- Asked by Anonymous A
- 3 Mar, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this adapter allow me to view my CCTV security cameras on my Imac 10.5.8. The security DVR box has a VGA output. What would I need? Thanks.)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter
Will the cable allow me to view the optimum (cable) app on my tv?
- Asked by Robert S from St Thomas
- 29 Mar, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the cable allow me to view the optimum (cable) app on my tv?)
- Asked about: Apple 30-pin Digital AV Adapter
Will it allow me to view the live video image from my DSLR ie act as a monitor?
- Asked by Rosie W from Port Elliot
- 27 Jun, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Will it allow me to view the live video image from my DSLR ie act as a monitor?)
- Asked about: Lightning to USB Camera Adapter