How do I connect this adapter to MacBook Pro 2017 (USB-C)? Wish to connect to Dual Link NEC 3090 display.
1 Answer from the Community
There are four options:
You need a USB-C (male) to miniDisplayPort (female) adapter such as those listed in the MacWorld article "Connecting an Apple LED Cinema Display to a USB-C MacBook or MacBook Pro? Here are the adapters you need".
You'll also need a USB-C to USB-A adapter to provide power to the Dual-Link DVI adapter.
A USB-C dock with a mini DisplayPort output and a USB-A port will save you a Thunderbolt port. The "HyperDrive USB-C Hub with Mini DisplayPort" is a compact solution. Its USB-A ports only allow USB 2.0 speeds so that its mini DisplayPort port can allow up to 4k 60Hz.
If a USB-C dock allows USB 3.0 speeds, then its display port (HDMI or DisplayPort) can only allow up to one 4K 30Hz display, which is enough for Dual Link speed (2560 x 1600 60Hz). An example that has a mini DisplayPort is the "HyperDrive Ultimate USB-C Hub".
A Thunderbolt 3 dock may provide USB 3.0 ports and allow connecting up to two 4K 60Hz displays, because Thunderbolt 3 is faster than USB-C. The OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock has a mini DisplayPort output. A second 4K display can be connected to the USB-C port with an adapter if necessary.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Will a 2017 iMac -> USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter -> HDMI to Dual-Link DVI-D adapter -> Apple Cinema HD 30" Display work at 2560 X 1600 at 60Hz?
- Asked by Eric T from San Jose
- 8 Jun, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (Will a 2017 iMac -> USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter -> HDMI to Dual-Link DVI-D adapter -> Apple Cinema HD 30" Display work at 2560 X 1600 at 60Hz?)
- Asked about: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter
What Cable is required to connect new MacPro to an NEC PA271W monitor?
- Asked by Debbie C from Mill Bay
- 4 Jan, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (What Cable is required to connect new MacPro to an NEC PA271W monitor?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
Will this work to connect a USB Superdrive to my MacBook Pro?
- Asked by Cynthia L from Chicago
- 2 Aug, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this work to connect a USB Superdrive to my MacBook Pro?)
- Asked about: USB-C to USB Adapter