What is the difference between composite cable, VGA adapter and Apple Digital AV Adapter? I just want to display movies eg in iTunes on my iPad via TV
I am not sure of the difference between all these cables - I just want to show a movie I have bought eg on iTunes and downloaded to my iPad 1 on my quite ordinary TV. I have a composite cable and it works in conjunction with the cable supplied with the TV. But I see there is also a VGA slot on the TV so I wonder if the VGA adaptor would work ok in the same way - and then I also see there is the Apple digital AV adapter. What does that do? Would it achieve the same purpose? It certainly looks more portable!
2 Answers from the Community
This adaptor will support higher resolution video. It also supports HDCP. The other adaptors do not and some copy protected video content will not play on external screens or TV's if HDCP is not supported.
If your TV has HDMI, you should definitely get the Digital AV Adaptor.
- Answered by Taylor L from San Francisco
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
You mentioned you have an iPad 1. This digital AV adapter does not work with the iPad 1. It works on the iPad 2 and the 3rd generation iPad. Other than that, what the other person said is correct.
- Answered by Michael B from Auburn
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
I have a 3-year old iMac (pre-Retina display). can I connect my cable box via HDMI to a Firewire in order to use my iMac display as a substitute TV?
- Asked by Dennis C from Cambridge
- 26 Jan, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a 3-year old iMac (pre-Retina display). can I connect my cable box via HDMI to a Firewire in order to use my iMac display as a substitute TV?)
- Asked about: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter
Does this adapter carry analog signals, converts it, or uses apple trickery?
- Asked by Tucker P from Loveland
- 15 Oct, 2009
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this adapter carry analog signals, converts it, or uses apple trickery?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter
I there a way to connect the iPad to TV via HDMI cable.
- Asked by Kd B from Del Norte
- 18 Feb, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (I there a way to connect the iPad to TV via HDMI cable.)
- Asked about: Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit