Can the Apple USB Super Drive be used as a boot device for a Mac Book Pro 13" retina mid-2014?
I was told the MBP supports - and Apple does allow - dual booting and, dual booting [to Linux at least] will not void the warranty. I'd like to dual boot the Mac to various Linux distros. To do this I'd need to boot (at least once) from an external device to install the Linux OS onto its own partition. Will the SuperDrive support booting of a Linux DVD?
- Asked by Ricardo M from Lakewood
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the Apple USB Super Drive be used as a boot device for a Mac Book Pro 13" retina mid-2014?)
2 Answers from the Community
Yes you can use the Super Drive to boot into linux as long as your Linux distro is bootable. Hold down the option button at start up to select the super drive. you must burn the bistro to a CD/DVD first or make a bootable flash drive.
- Answered by Nicholas H from Baltimore
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Better late than never. No, the SuperDrive is an optical drive for burning, watching CD's, DVD's etc. It is not a storage device.
Mac user since 1992
- Answered by James A
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
mophie compatibility Mac Retina 13" year 2015 laptop
- Asked by Toni R from Dallas
- 12 Sep, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (mophie compatibility Mac Retina 13" year 2015 laptop)
- Asked about: mophie powerstation USB-C XXL Unive…
Will this Display work with a macbook pro Retina, 13-inch Mid 2014 model?
- Asked by Robert M from Burlington
- 17 Jan, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this Display work with a macbook pro Retina, 13-inch Mid 2014 model?)
- Asked about: LG UltraFine 4K Display