Connecting iPhone 5 to MDI music system in a VW Golf
I have the MDI with an MDI-to-iPod cable in a Mk 6 Golf which works with the iPod generation 4. However, I have recently purchased an iPhone 5 and would like to be able to connect it the same way such that I can control song selection and volume from the car's head unit. Will this adapter work for me?
- Asked by fn from Bull Creek
- Flag as inappropriate (Connecting iPhone 5 to MDI music system in a VW Golf)
5 Answers from the Community
Depends what your VW group car can do.
Video and photos no.
If you only get music and the playlists then it will work exactly like your old cable.
If you used an MDI cable previously (USB and AUX splitter) this will work perfectly.
- Answered by Adam R
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
No. I got one and it did not work!
- Answered by Mohammad F from Piscataway
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
I've just bought this for my iPhone 6, also for use in my Mk 6 Golf, and it works perfectly. No problems with playing music, song selection, song title/artist/album display, and also charging. In short it works exactly as my old iPhone 4S did when connected directly to the VW supplied MDI lead.
If you're having trouble, you could try updating the MDI firmware to the latest version which is easy to do - just search online for instructions, or ask your VW dealer.
- Answered by Alex B
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
One caution -- I have this adapter and it does indeed provide a connection but it also does not connect completely to the iPhone with any of the iPhone cases I have tried. I have tried Otter Box Commuter, Otter Box Defender, and Case Logic. I have to take my iPhone out of the case in order to plug it in and I've already broken one case from the wear of popping it in and out.
- Answered by Tracy M from Springfield
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
Apparently none of the 30-pin to lightning connectors allows for video passthrough. I have tried all of them and they do not allow video out from an iPhone!!
- Answered by Oliver O from Georgetown
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 5
I had a iPhone integration system installed in my car while I had the iPhone 4. Now I have the iPhone 5. Will the adapater enable me to hear my music?
- Asked by Tori H from Dallas
- 30 Oct, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (I had a iPhone integration system installed in my car while I had the iPhone 4. Now I have the iPhone 5. Will the adapater enable me to hear my music?)
- Asked about: Lightning to 30-pin Adapter