Is the USB port 3.0?
- Asked by Joachim B from Draper
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the USB port 3.0?)
6 Answers from the Community
No, it's USB 2.0
- Answered by Mark R
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Tech specs show that it is not USB 3.0 and is still on USB 2.0 instead. However, most any device you connect to it is going to be bottlenecked by the following:
~Real world Gigabit speed maxes out just above 100 MegaBYTES (not megaBITs) per second (128MB/second Theoretical, less with overhead)
~Most hard drives connected to this would be for 'backup' use, which means they would not be fast SSD drives due to needing to have large capacity, which most platter-drive HDDs do not push above 30 to 60MB/sec (again, MegaBYTES)
If you truly need to access data faster than this, I would recommend a Mac Mini with the Fusion Drive option acting as a server. This would give you USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt for additional drive storage expansion, and fast file transfer with the SSD cache ability of the Fusion Drive.
Practical use of connecting an external HDD to an Airport Extreme would be for Time Machine backup usage.
Otherwise, how fast do you need to be able to print? ;) (not sure there is even a printer with USB 3.0 yet…)
- Answered by Scott K from Parkland
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
The system specs show USB 2.0. Not really a big concern as most wireless systems would not attain USB 3.0 transfer speeds anyway.
- Answered by Warren & Liane T from Winkler
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Tech Specs above say USB 2 only....
- Answered by Gary T
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
Read the Tech Spec.
Connections and Expansion
Gigabit Ethernet WAN port
Three Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports
Built-in power supply
Beamforming antenna array
Simultaneous dual-band 2.4GHz and 5GHz
Number of Users
- Answered by Joshua M from Hutchinson
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 5
The Tech Specs say USB 2.0
- Answered by Alan B from Des Moines
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 6
Is the USB port on this adapter USB 2.0 or 3.0?
- Asked by George J. M from Chino Hills
- 1 Dec, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the USB port on this adapter USB 2.0 or 3.0?)
- Asked about: USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter
No answers yet
Will this work with Mac OS Sierra? Also, with a USB 3.0 port?
- Asked by Matthew Z from Diamond
- 26 Sep, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this work with Mac OS Sierra? Also, with a USB 3.0 port?)
- Asked about: Apple USB Ethernet Adapter