Can I use this to connect the Thunderbolt Display 27in to a Dell XPS via USB -C or is it only compatible with the USB-C on a Macbook/Mac?
I have a Dell XPS with a USB-C port and I've used a USB-C to HDMI with no problem to get video. I was just curious if this would work to use this monitor
2 Answers from the Community
I have a Precision 5520 with a USB Type C port which supports Thunderbolt 3 and I have successfully connected my Apple Thunderbolt display (circa 2015) to my laptop using the adapter.
- Answered by Srinath A from Chapel Hill
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
USB-C is just a physical port type descriptor. The descriptor does not indicate what protocols the port supports. Some USB-C ports are for power only. Some are only USB 2.0. Some may be USB 3.0. Some may support USB 3.1 gen 2. Some may support DisplayPort or HDMI (as yours does - it's probably using a USB-C DisplayPort alt mode to HDMI adapter). You did not state which Dell XPS you have, so I don't know if its USB-C port supports Thunderbolt. The Apple Thunderbolt Display only works with Thunderbolt ports. If your Dell XPS has a USB-C port that supports Thunderbolt, then it might work (though I have read that the Apple Thunderbolt Display doesn't work with some Thunderbolt 3 ports).
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Samsung T5 Usb-C ? Can it be connected to a thunderbolt 2 port on my (2012)MacBook Pro Via this cable and a USB-C male to Thunderbolt 2 female adapter
- Asked by Michael J from Cleveland
- 5 Apr 2020
- Flag as inappropriate Samsung T5 Usb-C ? Can it be connected to a thunderbolt 2 port on my (2012)MacBook Pro Via this cable and a USB-C male to Thunderbolt 2 female adapter
Can I daisy Chain my Apple Thunderbolt Display from this on my MBP using a USB-C to Thunderbolt converter?
- Asked by Aaron B from Prosper
- 7 Jan 2020
- Flag as inappropriate Can I daisy Chain my Apple Thunderbolt Display from this on my MBP using a USB-C to Thunderbolt converter?