Questions & Answers for Lightning to VGA Adapter
72 Questions from the Community
Is the mirroring option on when you first time use Lightning to vga adapter? Or should it turned on somewhere?
Having trouble to use live TVs on vga. After awhile iPad and vga display goes black but sound is coming from my iPad mini. After disconnect the vga and applying it back the screens comes to life but again after few 10-20 seconds the screens goes black again.
Starting with the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S, everything is mirrored on the projector or monitor. So if you have the iPad with Retina Display, iPad Mini, iPhone 5/5S/5C (which are the only models this adapter is currently supported by) you will see apps, videos, pictures, and even apps that don't necessarily support TV Out.
The iPod touch 5th generation is also supported, which I believe also has the video mirroring feature.
- Answered by Matthew L from Pittsburgh
- 1 Oct, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (does lightning to vga adapter show all apps ?on a projector or just the main apple and video apps)
Lightning wire adapter for Bose Speaker
I have a Bose speaker. My iPhone is no longer compatible with the adapter. Is there an accessory that I can use to convert my iPhone to the Bose Speaker. Someone suggested a Lightning wire adapter. Will this work with the Bose Speaker?
- Asked by Ginger D from Stuart
- 15 Jul, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Lightning wire adapter for Bose Speaker)
Cable length Lightning to VGA Adapter
I would like to know the length of the Lightning to VGA Adapter cable
I'm looking for a fairly long one. And also can it be extended with the help of another cables?
- Asked by Gururaj S
- 18 Feb, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Cable length Lightning to VGA Adapter)
This is an adapter not a cable. It adapts your Lighting device to be used with projectors and displays that use a VGA signal. You use a standard VGA cable that came with the projector or display. Or you can by a standard VGA cable of various lengths and a computer store. The standard cable will have a male connector at each end. This adapter therefore has a female VGA connector that the standard VGA cable with the male connector plugs into. If you look you will also find that the standard VGA connector on your TV, projector or display has a .... wait for it .... female connector. To recap. A standard VGA cable will have male connectors at each end. Devices that work with a other VGA standard devices have female connectors. Pretty cool.
- Answered by Les W from Boca Raton
- 28 Sep, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Cable length Lightning to VGA Adapter)
is it compatible with the ipad air 2
- Asked by Hahn Loeser P from Cleveland
- 10 Jul, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (is it compatible with the ipad air 2)
- Answered by Nhan N from Seattle
- 11 Oct, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (is it compatible with the ipad air 2)
Can you charge your device at the same time?
- Asked by Daniel S
- 25 Oct, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you charge your device at the same time?)
- Answered by Irene H
- 27 Oct, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can you charge your device at the same time?)
Yes, the display is mirrored, so you will still see video on your iPad/iPhone/iPod's Screen.
- Answered by Cindy H from Bayfield
- 9 Nov, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I connect this to a vga to av adapter and still receive a video out on my screen?)
I would like to use my ipad (latest model) to teach with and present on a Smartbard using this connector. Will it work? Will I get full functionality
ipad 4 to vga connectionAnswer
You will get video but touching the smart board can't control the iPad as its only a video connection no data
- Answered by Laurie M from Williamsburg
- 27 Dec, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I would like to use my ipad (latest model) to teach with and present on a Smartbard using this connector. Will it work? Will I get full functionality)
Will I be able to use this adapter to show a live preview from the GoPro app?
I am a chemistry teacher and my fume hood is in a very tight spot in my class. I want to show reactions that happen in the fume hood over a projector. If I were to use a GoPro camera, the GoPro app, and connect my iPhone 5 to a projector using this adapter, would I be able to get the projector to show a live feed of the reaction?
- Asked by Jeremy S from Kapolei
- 27 Sep, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Will I be able to use this adapter to show a live preview from the GoPro app?)
Will the lightning to VGA adapter work when connecting my Iphone 6 to a lenovo laptop, which is in turn connected to a smartboard?
- Asked by Alicia M from Hummelstown
- 20 Mar, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the lightning to VGA adapter work when connecting my Iphone 6 to a lenovo laptop, which is in turn connected to a smartboard?)
Does this connector work to show Netflicks movies on a non-HDMI TV and can you play the movie audio on a Bluetooth device at he same time?
Previous posted question indicates one cannot play "protected" movies bought from iTunes using an iPad and the VGA adapter
- Asked by David G from Santa Barbara
- 6 Apr, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this connector work to show Netflicks movies on a non-HDMI TV and can you play the movie audio on a Bluetooth device at he same time?)
No answers yet
Can I use this for a connection from a security system to my iMAC as a monitor?
I am looking at a security system (Night Owl 8-Channel HD Analog DVR with 1TB HDD, 4 1080p Cameras with 100' Night Vision) and would like to hookup my iMAC as the monitor. It has 1 VGA Output (TV/Monitor) and a HDMI Output. Thank you
- Asked by Peter B from Fresno
- 2 Oct, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use this for a connection from a security system to my iMAC as a monitor?)
Does this adapter work for Honda CR-V 2016 for "Honda Link"
- Asked by Jon V from Amherst
- 26 May, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this adapter work for Honda CR-V 2016 for "Honda Link")
Does the iPad 4 support an output resolution of 1600 x 1200 over this Lighting to VGA Adapter?
I'm aware it supports the standard 1024 x 768 resolution on projectors, but I want to know if that limitation is due to the projector not accepting a higher input or with the iPad itself. I have a Dell Ultrasharp monitor with a native resolution of 1600 x 1200 and I'd hate to purchase this without making sure it used it to its full advantage.
- Asked by Derek S
- 26 Aug, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the iPad 4 support an output resolution of 1600 x 1200 over this Lighting to VGA Adapter?)
Yes it can be used to charge the iOS device while being used. The adapter has an input for a lightning cable, so if you plug in the lightning cable (attached to a charger) to the adapter, the iPhone/iPad/iPod will charge while you are using the VGA adapter.
- Answered by Brian G from Salem
- 26 Oct, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can the Lightning to VGA adaptor charge the iPad / iPhone / iPod Touch when being used?)
Yes and no. You will notice people complaining about not being able to view iTunes content and the reason for this has nothing to do with their cable and everything to do with their display/tv/projector. A number of years back, something called HDCP was introduced to prevent people copying HD content. In order to view HDCP content, you need a compliant screen, it has nothing to do with the cable. If your screen/tv is not HDCP compliant, you will not be able to view content purchased on iTunes. Most newer TVs and Screens should be HDCP compliant but if you have an older one, it may be an issue.
- Answered by Athol H from Port Melbourne
- 5 Jan, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (will this device allow me to download movies on my iPad and connect to my TV for viewing)
Does this cable output a signal that is HDCP?
If this cable is connected to a TV that needs a HDCP signal to accept the video signal, would it work? And if so, would all video signal be HDCP or would it be App/Video source specific?
- Asked by Axel C from Mendota Heights
- 19 Feb, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this cable output a signal that is HDCP?)
This will work fine IF your HDTV has VGA input. If you have no other reason for a VGA adapter, you might want to get the Lightning Digital AV Adapter (part no. MD826ZM) instead, as it provides HDMI video instead of VGA—that is assuming that you want to connect to your TV over HDMI cable instead of VGA. But your HDTV might have both HDMI and VGA, in which case you can use either this adapter or the Lightning Digital AV Adapter (part no. MD826ZM).
- Answered by Christopher S from Hampton
- 25 Jan, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I want to use video chat with Ipad and see it on my hdtv so more can view, is this possible?)
Has anyone used this with slideshark? Can you use notes view and have just the slide view projected, or does it ONLY mirror the ipad?
SlideShark app allows for a "notes view", where I am supposed to be able to see my notes on my ipad, but audience only sees the actual "slide view". I want to know if anybody else has tried this. Does it work?
- Asked by Barbara F from Indianapolis
- 19 Jan, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Has anyone used this with slideshark? Can you use notes view and have just the slide view projected, or does it ONLY mirror the ipad?)
SlideShark gives you the option to view your PowerPoint presentation (including all graphics and animations) in full screen or in a notes view where you can see the slide notes, a roll of upcoming slides and a window showing the slide playing through with all the animations (still controlled by clicks/taps), a bit like presenter view on PowerPoint. When you connect your iPad to a second monitor, the second monitor will only ever show the full screen presentation show, but you have the option on the iPad to have a mirror (full screen) or presenter view. You can't see the SlideShark menu on the second screen either, so you can move between different presentations really easily.
For me, it's a superb app and one of the main reasons for getting an iPad. It works really seamlessly, and you can use your iPhone or iPod Touch as a remote too, so you don't even need to hold the iPad.