Apple USB SuperDrive
The sleek, compact USB SuperDrive.
Everything you need in an optical drive.
Whether you’re at the office or on the road, you can play and burn both CDs and DVDs with the Apple USB SuperDrive. It’s perfect when you want to watch a DVD movie, install software, create backup discs, and more.
Take it anywhere.
Only slightly bigger than a CD case, the Apple USB SuperDrive slips easily into your travel bag when you hit the road and takes up little space on your desk or tray table when you’re working.
The essence of simplicity.
You’ll never have to worry about lost cables with the Apple USB SuperDrive. It connects to your MacBook Pro with Retina display*, MacBook Air, iMac, or Mac mini with a single USB Type-A cable that’s built into the SuperDrive. There’s no separate power adapter, and it works whether your Mac is plugged in or running on battery power.
What’s in the Box
Apple USB SuperDrive with attached USB Type-A Connector cable
Compatible with the following computers:
MacBook Air with Retina display*
MacBook Pro with Retina display*
iMac (late 2012) and later
Mac mini (late 2009) and later
Mac Pro (late 2013)
* MacBook, MacBook Air with Retina display, and MacBook Pro models with Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports require a USB-C to USB Adapter (sold separately) to use Apple USB SuperDrive.
- MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015 - 2017)
- MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015 - 2017)
- MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2015)
- MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012 - 2015)
- MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2012 - 2015)
- iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019)
- iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)
- iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015)
- iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)
- iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
- iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014 - 2015)
- iMac Pro (2017 and later)
- Mac Pro (Late 2013)
- Mac mini (2018)
- Mac mini (Late 2014)
Answers from the community
Can apple usb super drive work with macbook pro touch bar from 2018??
- Asked by Jenan I from København
- on Jan 5, 2020
Yes, but you will need a USB-C adapter.
- Answered by Bradley S from Stittsville
- on Jan 5, 2020
Can the USB superdrive transfer music from computer to cd
- Asked by karen B from east peoria
- on Dec 17, 2019
Yes, it is a CD/DVD burner.
- Answered by d J from Dunedin
- on Dec 30, 2019
Compatible with Catalina? And is it a DVD BURNER.
- Asked by Cathy S from Chicago
- on Dec 12, 2019
Yes. And YES.
- Answered by James P from Brenham
- on Jan 9, 2020
Bought a USB SuperDrive as the one built-in in my MacBook Pro not working. But MacBook Pro does not recognise it?
- Asked by Joseph L from Singapore
- on Jan 27, 2013
Dont bother buying it as it will not work. You need to have the internal one fixed or replaced.
- Answered by Ken M from Stkilda
- on Mar 12, 2013