Can this be used with a 2011 27" iMac?
- Asked by Emily R from Pflugerville
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this be used with a 2011 27" iMac?)
- Asked about: LG UltraFine 5K Display
2 Answers from the Community
The 2011 iMac is limited to 2560 x 1600 at 60 Hz according to Apple's Technical Specifications (which might allow 4K at 30 Hz). I don't think the LG 5K likes either of those resolutions.
It might be possible to connect a more powerful, modern external GPU (AMD works best for 5K; Nvidia supports 5K only with the Dell 5K, but there is a patch for other 5K displays which I haven't tried) via Thunderbolt (see eGPU.io website for details; I haven't tried external GPUs before), connect it to a Thunderbolt 3 add-in card with two DisplayPort inputs (such as the GC-ALPINE RIDGE) located in another computer's PCIe slot, or in a PCIe riser (such as the IT-GO "ADP-A99-33") (other risers didn't work for me with a different Thunderbolt display device; I haven't tried an LG 5K). Note that using this method will make the features of the display that require USB (camera, speakers, brightness control, USB ports) not work because a method to enable the USB functions of a Thunderbolt 3 add-in card in an unsupported PCIe slot is unknown.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Don't have a 2011 27" iMac to try but keep in mind that the LG display *only* has Thunderbolt ports. Just making a physical connection would require conversion cables that may not exist. I recommend caution.
- Answered by Kevin M from Santa Cruz
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
I am using OS 10.6.8 on a mid 2011 27" iMac. Will this operate?
- Asked by Douglas B from Aliso Viejo
- Oct 16, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (I am using OS 10.6.8 on a mid 2011 27" iMac. Will this operate?)
- Asked about: LaCie 1TB Rugged Portable Hard Driv…
Can this adapter be used to transfer my files from a Late 2009 IMac to a brand new fusion IMac. I have a firewire 800 cable.
- Asked by Jose O from Coral Gables
- Dec 4, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this adapter be used to transfer my files from a Late 2009 IMac to a brand new fusion IMac. I have a firewire 800 cable.)
- Asked about: Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapt…