What's the best way to mount an external harddrive to the back of the LG UltraFine 5K Display?
We are used to the awesome Apple Thunderbolt displays where it has a special bracket for mounting hard drives to the back of the display, but I can't find anything suitable for the new LG displays.
1 Answer from the Community
Originally I mounted the Samsung T1 SSD drive to the back of the monitor (Pre-Wifi Issue Fix). I used 3M velcro adhesive to keep it mounted. However, a few problems occurred with this setup. Whenever the monitor went to sleep (from a screensaver or just the timer set to turn off the display), it would kill the USB hub connection as well, even if the computer was still on.
It looks like when the monitors go to sleep, the portion of the circuits that supply power is also cut out. When I connected another external hard drive that had its own external power source, I still maintained a data connection, even when the monitor turned back. I would be careful then on what type of drive you connect to it. If it depends on the USB-C port for both power and data, then you'll probably hit the same issues I saw.
- Answered by Michael C from Quincy
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
will this work with the LG UltraFine 5k?
- Asked by Mohammad K from Miami
- Dec 8, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (will this work with the LG UltraFine 5k?)
- Asked about: Bretford MobilePro Desk Mount Combo
Can the 4k Ultrafine ‘pivot’ ? i.e. can it be used in ‘Portrait’ mode ? does the stand support pivoting 90 degrees ?
- Asked by Buba C
- Nov 1, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the 4k Ultrafine ‘pivot’ ? i.e. can it be used in ‘Portrait’ mode ? does the stand support pivoting 90 degrees ?)
- Asked about: LG UltraFine 4K Display