Will this device work with older Macs that have Thunderbolt I or II ports such as the 2015 MacBook Pro or the currently shipping Mac Pro?
Will it work with Sierra or High Sierra or does it require Mojave? Does it work at Thunderbolt I speeds? What is different between the GPU in this versus the one advertised in the 2018 MacBook Pro?
5 Answers from the Community
The eGPU.io website has workarounds for making Thunderbolt 3 eGPUs work with Thunderbolt 1 or 2 Macs. There is a build guide for the 2013 Mac Pro that has Thunderbolt 2 ports.
The MacBook Pro 2018 has a Radeon Pro 555X or Radeon Pro 560X with 4GB of GDDR5 memory. The GPU in the eGPU is a faster Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB of GDDR5 memory.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I can answer the first part. No this will not work with the older models that use the Thunderbolt 1 and 2 ports.
- Answered by Jenny Q from Devonport
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Sadly, I do not believe it will work. It might work, but with limited bandwidth, which is a deal breaker for me. eGPUs are designed for Thunderbolt 3 ports that interface with the PCIe standard in your Mac. Also, it should work with any software from macOS Sierra and higher, because the 2016 MacBook Pro shipped with eGPU support, which drivers are located in macOS Sierra.
- Answered by Ian P from San Francisco
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
the Blackmagic eGPU is built to make any Mac with Thunderbolt 3 ports a graphics powerhouse.
• High Sierra and newer
• The Blackmagic eGPU contains a desktop-class GPU with 8GB of vram, while the MacBook Pro's contain mobile GPU
• Will not work with anything prior to Thunderbolt 3
• Compatible with Mac with Thunderbolt 3 ports
- Answered by Randy A from Goodyear
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
No, you will require a Thunderbolt 3 equipped MacBook.
- Answered by Gregory Z
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 5
How many devices can be connected - simultaneously - to one thunderbolt port?
- Asked by Diego G from Salvador
- Oct 28, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (How many devices can be connected - simultaneously - to one thunderbolt port?)
- Asked about: Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2.0 m) - W…
connecting a USB-C drive to an older Thunderbolt 2 MacBook Pro
- Asked by Nick C from Clearwater
- Jul 12, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (connecting a USB-C drive to an older Thunderbolt 2 MacBook Pro)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbol…
Does this USB-C adapter work in a Thunderbolt 2 port of an early 2015 Mac Book Pro Retina (I have managed to damage my existing USB ports)
- Asked by Martin R from Colchester
- Feb 21, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this USB-C adapter work in a Thunderbolt 2 port of an early 2015 Mac Book Pro Retina (I have managed to damage my existing USB ports))
- Asked about: USB-C to USB Adapter