what is a TTY adapter
- Asked by Michael L from Philadelphia
- Flag as inappropriate (what is a TTY adapter)
2 Answers from the Community
TTY is an abbreviation for TeleTypewriter. It's a device used by the deaf to "text" messages across an analog telephone line. These days, text messaging has just about obsoleted the device however it remains well-suited to the task.
Because the TTY was originally designed for an analog phone system it worked very much like an analog modem; converting "text" into "sounds" that were then re-interpreted back into text at the receiver's end. Both parties of the conversation would have to have a TTY machine.
This adapter allows a person to connect a TTY machine to the "analog" audio input and output of the phone.
- Answered by Eric P from Dunedin
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
A TTY is a special device that lets people who are Deaf, Hard of Hearing, or speech-impaired use the telephone to communicate, by allowing them to type messages back and forth to one another instead of talking and listening. A TTY is required at both ends of the conversation in order to communicate.
- Answered by Eric S
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Will this adapter work for printers?
- Asked by Cameron H from Brisbane
- Jan 28, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this adapter work for printers?)
- Asked about: Lightning to USB Camera Adapter
No answers yet
What is the physical size of this power adapter?
- Asked by Justin T from Rosemount
- Oct 27, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the physical size of this power adapter?)
- Asked about: 87W USB-C Power Adapter