Is is thunderbolt backwards compatible with mini display port devices and cables?
Basically can we use mini display to DVI or mini display to HDMI (from old Mid 2010 MBP) in latest Mac book pro's thunderbolt ports?
2 Answers from the Community
The Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adaptor works with my MacBook Pro's Thunderbolt ports. Other Mini DisplayPort adaptors should also work.
- Answered by Joe V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
The Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt cable physically fits into the mini display port on your 27" iMac. However it DOES NOT WORK.
I bought the cable to do just that & when I bought the new MacBook Pro I asked at the store for a cable so I could use my iMac in Target display mode. When it did not work support told me (& the store confirmed) it cannot work they are not compatible.
It was suggested there may be an unsupported 3rd party adapter available????
Anyone seen one? I mean my iMac is only just under 3 years old!
- Answered by Thomas M from Redmond
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
is Mini Display Port the same as Thunderbolt Port
- Asked by Allan M from N Providence
- Mar 18, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (is Mini Display Port the same as Thunderbolt Port)
- Asked about: Belkin 4K Mini DisplayPort to HDMI …
Are these backwards compatible with Thunderbolt 1 ports?
- Asked by Nick S
- Nov 18, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Are these backwards compatible with Thunderbolt 1 ports?)
- Asked about: Moshi Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adap…
Is this backwards compatible with Mini-DisplayPort?
- Asked by Ned B from Washington
- Oct 27, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this backwards compatible with Mini-DisplayPort?)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbol…