so what if you already have wi fi in your home, is this device still needed or will my wi fi do the job?
i'm trying to add a printer for printing, and it sounds like the airport express will allow me to print wireless, but if i already have wi fi installed will i still need the airport express to print wireless, and what does this device do different than what i already have?
- Asked by Melvin T from Westchester
- Flag as inappropriate (so what if you already have wi fi in your home, is this device still needed or will my wi fi do the job?)
2 Answers from the Community
If your current printer already connects to the wireless network you have, then you don't need this. The Airport models allow you to add printers in two ways: either through a wireless network (if a printer is wifi-capable), or by connecting it via USB to the Airport (you can do this for printers that don't have built-in wireless networking). The Airport Express also has an audio out port which lets you stream music from a computer to a stereo system.
Note that the USB method does not make a non-Airprint-capable printer accessible to iOS devices. You still need an Airprint printer to print from iPad or iPhone.
- Answered by Matt C from Beacon
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
You can use Printopia (Mac software) to share out your Mac connected printers (as well as other options) so that your iOS devices can use them via the AExpress. I have several AExpress modules in my home and love them! You can also configure them to connect via WiFi and then provide Ethernet connectivity to a remote device, for example an Ethernet-Only device that does not have access to an Ethernet connection on your LAN.
- Answered by Michael T from Chesterfield
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
I already have a wi-fi network, can I use the Time Capsule as storage alone?
- Asked by Brandon K from Pewaukee
- Oct 24, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (I already have a wi-fi network, can I use the Time Capsule as storage alone?)
- Asked about: AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB
Can the Airport Extreme be used to extend my Wi-Fi signal, from my Netgear Extender?
- Asked by Nadine M from Parap
- Dec 3, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the Airport Extreme be used to extend my Wi-Fi signal, from my Netgear Extender?)
- Asked about: AirPort Extreme