can I use the snow leopard upgrade on all of my mac computers?
- Asked by Donald R O from Winter Park
- Flag as inappropriate (can I use the snow leopard upgrade on all of my mac computers?)
1 Answer from the Community
As long as the Macs are Intel-based. You also should have purchased licenses for each Mac. (The family pack gives you licenses for up to 5 Macs.)
If a Mac is currently using OS 10.4, then follow these instructions:
1) Do a clean install of Snow Leopard to a new partition. If necessary, clone your 10.4 partition to a temporary, bootable external hard drive.
2) All Snow Leopard disks can do a "Clean Install". But with the $29 disk you need to follow some extra steps, since "Erase and Install" is not part of the automatic installation... but the tools to do so are provided on the DVD.
Basically, when you put the Snow Leopard DVD into your Mac, you will be presented with two options: 1) to "Continue" with a standard upgrade, or, 2) go to "Utilities". Select the "Utilities" button (there will be a reboot in order to run from the DVD). In the new screen that appears, under the "Utilities" menu, select Disk Utilities to format your hard drive (or partition) that Snow Leopard is going on to. When you have finished formatting, QUIT from Disk Utilities, and the installer will then complete the installation of Snow Leopard. (Note: be prepared to wait several minutes when the system reboots during installation as it copies and sets up all the files.)
3) At some point during the installation, the installer will search all other partitions for an older OS, and if found, the installer will ask if you want to import the OS Settings, Files and/or Applications from that partition. Do this for a very smooth transition.
4) All my apps from OS 10.4 continued to work in Snow Leopard, but some of my printer drivers and scanner utility needed upgrades. Until I could find the upgrades, I was still able to Start Up from my OS 10.4 partition (press Option during start up) in order to use my printers and scanner in the meantime.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I have a Mac with Snow Leopard installed.I would like to upgrade to Lion. Would I still be able to use Adobe CS3 that is on my computer
- Asked by Bettina G from Jupiter
- May 20, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a Mac with Snow Leopard installed.I would like to upgrade to Lion. Would I still be able to use Adobe CS3 that is on my computer)
- Asked about: OS X Lion (10.7)
I'm still on Snow Leopard OS on my Mac and want to use this new Time Capsule to do a full backup BEFORE upgrading to Mountain Lion OS X. Can I do it?
- Asked by N.a. L
- Jun 12, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (I'm still on Snow Leopard OS on my Mac and want to use this new Time Capsule to do a full backup BEFORE upgrading to Mountain Lion OS X. Can I do it?)
- Asked about: AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB
can i use a air port to share files from a windows to a mac
- Asked by Bradley S
- Oct 18, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (can i use a air port to share files from a windows to a mac)
- Asked about: AirPort Express