How can I upgrade from Snow Leopard to OS X El Capitan for iMac
- Asked by Pacita E from Sicklerville
- Flag as inappropriate (How can I upgrade from Snow Leopard to OS X El Capitan for iMac)
1 Answer from the Community
If you are running OS 10.6.8 or later there is an app on your Mac called "App Store". If not running OS 10.6.8, do "Software Update" (under the Apple Menu) until you are at OS 10.6.8.
In "App Store" app, do a search for "OS X" or "Mac OS". If your iMac is supported by El Capitan (OS 10.11), then it will be available to download and install. Once OS 10.7 (or later) is installed, and if your iMac is supported, then you can use the "App Store" app to download and install Sierra (OS 10.12).
But first make sure you have at least 2GB of memory, as that is minimum requirement for OS 10.7 and later.
You can also look up your Mac's Model Identifier (Apple Menu --> About the Mac --> More Info --> System Report --> Hardware Overview --> Model Identifier).
If the Model Identifier is iMac4,1 or iMac4,2 Snow Leopard is the last OS X to support it.
iMac5,1 and later is supported by El Capitan (OS 10.11).
iMac10,1 and later are also supported by Sierra (OS 10.12).
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouver
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Will upgrade to El Capitan remove iPhoto?
- Asked by Kathleen H from Baltimore
- Nov 24, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Will upgrade to El Capitan remove iPhoto?)
- Asked about: Mac
No answers yet
Does it work also with OS X El Capitan? Thanks ; )
- Asked by Francesc I
- Oct 14, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Does it work also with OS X El Capitan? Thanks ; ))
- Asked about: Moshi USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet A…