how do you upgrade an mac os x 10.4.11 ?
I have been given a Mac OS X 10.4.11 and i do not know how i can upgrade,
could someone please tell me it would be much appreciated
- Asked by John S
- Flag as inappropriate (how do you upgrade an mac os x 10.4.11 ?)
1 Answer from the Community
You can use any retail Snow Leopard DVD. Before you buy the DVD, make sure your Mac is Intel-based with at least 1gb of memory.
I upgraded directly to Snow Leopard from OS 10.4.11 using the $29 DVD, but needed to follow some manual steps. Following are the steps I took.
1) First, keep (or clone to an external bootable drive) your old bootable partition with the old OS on it. This allows you to have a backup and still be able to start up with OS 10.4.11, if you wish to, after Snow Leopard is installed.
2) Start doing a clean install of Snow Leopard to a partition (either a fresh partition, or on one that you don't mind erasing all data). In order to do a clean install with the $29 DVD, you will have two options when you start up from the DVD... "Utilities" or "Continue". Select "Utilities" and when the Mac restarts, select "Disk Utilities" from the "Utilities" menu. Do a format of your "fresh" partition and then QUIT "Disk Utilities".
3) Now Snow Leopard will begin installing. During the install, it will search your Mac for all other partitions with an older OS and then ask you if you want to import your OS Settings, Applications and Files from one of those other partitions. Do this for a very smooth upgrade transition to the new OS. (If you decide to not import, then you will end up with a clean install of Snow Leopard instead.)
4) After restarting with the newly installed Snow Leopard, go to the Apple Menu and do Software Updates to bring your system up to OS 10.6.8.
5) All my Apps from OS 10.4.11 continue to work in Snow Leopard, but some of my printer drivers and scanner utility did not. Until I found those upgrades, I was still able to start up from the OS 10.4.11 partition to use my printers and scanner. To change the Start Up partition, either use the Start Up Disk in System Preferences... or press and hold "option" while your Mac starts up.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Will it work with OS X 10.4.11
- Asked by Luz S. T from Alice
- Jul 11, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Will it work with OS X 10.4.11)
- Asked about: AirPort Extreme
Can I use the same Apple router for both my iMAC 10.4.11 with airport extreme card and new iMAC OS X Lion?
- Asked by Dona Or Bill B from Kansas City
- Dec 9, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the same Apple router for both my iMAC 10.4.11 with airport extreme card and new iMAC OS X Lion?)
- Asked about: AirPort Express
Does this charger work on a Macbook OS X version 10.4.11
- Asked by Kim A from Lees Summit
- May 23, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this charger work on a Macbook OS X version 10.4.11)
- Asked about: Apple 45W MagSafe Power Adapter for…