I have 10.5.8, want to upgrade to snow leopard, but my DVD drive is broken. Is there a way to get around this?
- Asked by Ellen M from San Francisco
- Flag as inappropriate (I have 10.5.8, want to upgrade to snow leopard, but my DVD drive is broken. Is there a way to get around this?)
2 Answers from the Community
Yes, there are at least two options.
1) Get a USB flash stick at least 8GB in size or an external hard drive (I will refer to either one as "external"). On another Mac with a working optical drive, use Disk Utility to make a DMG image of the Snow Leopard DVD. On the "external" use Disk Utility to create a partition at least 8GB in size and format (erase) as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) using the OPTION button to select GUID Partition Table. Then use Disk Utility to RESTORE the DMG to the new "external" partition. Plug the "external" into your Mac, and then use Start Up Disk to start up from the Snow Leopard Install DVD partition and continue with the install. (Or, press option while starting up your Mac and select the Snow Leopard Install DVD partition.)
2) The Snow Leopard DVD has a Remote Install Utility. If your Mac is on a network with a Mac that has a working optical drive, you can install over the network from the other Mac to your Mac.
Note that in option 1 you can bypass making the DMG, by RESTORING the Snow Leopard Install DVD directly to a correctly formatted partition on the "external". In Disk Utility simply drag the Snow Leopard Install disk to the Source field and the new partition on the "external" as the Destination field.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
There are two ways around this:
1. Purchase an external optical drive.
2. If you have access to a 2nd Mac, restart your Mac in Target Disk Mode, connect it to the 2nd Mac using a FireWire cable, and install to it using the 2nd Mac.
- Answered by Robert T from Chatham
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Can this LaCie 1TB mobile hard drive be used on a mac 10.5 8 Leapord
- Asked by Sharon C from Aldershot
- Dec 13, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this LaCie 1TB mobile hard drive be used on a mac 10.5 8 Leapord)
- Asked about: LaCie 1TB Porsche Design Portable H…
how can I upgrade leopard to lion
- Asked by Alan R from Bensalem
- Sep 26, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (how can I upgrade leopard to lion)
- Asked about: OS X Lion (10.7)