I have an old iMac running 10.5.8. I just bought my son a MacBook that runs 10.6.6. Can I use his install disk to upgrade my older machine to 10.6?
2 Answers from the Community
It depends. If your iMac is an iMac G5 or G4 ("Luxo lamp"), then no, 10.5.8 is the last version of Mac OS those models will run. If your iMac has an Intel processor, then YES, all Intel iMacs can run Snow Leopard.
To find out for sure, choose About This Mac from the Apple menu, then click More Info. If the "Model Identifier" is listed as "iMac4,1" or anything higher (iMac4,2 or iMac5,1 for example) then you have an Intel iMac.
- Answered by Donald J from Vancouver
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Peter as long as you have an Intel CPU then upgrading to OSX 10.6 would be possible.
If you have the ability to attach a USB drive I would suggest you make a Backup of the Boot Drive to this USB. Programs I use are Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper - this way if you have any issues you can restore the files / programs back. Now as to the install disk from his Mac - I would not suggest this as the custom DVD that Apple ships with the products are not full blown versions of OSX they are tailored - think of them as a rescue disk made w just the drivers and software that the Mac it came with needs, Your iMac may have different Drivers etc and may not install correctly,
We also need to respect the Product and Apple License agreement - after all they make a great product and as they have now re-released OX 10.6. again ( thank God ) at the lowest price ever $19.95 then this makes no sense to be illegal with using software from another computer. Play it safe and get the OSX legit copy and you will sleep better at night!
- Answered by John A from Santa Clara
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Will this keyboard work with a power pc running OSX 10.5.8?
- Asked by Martin B
- Dec 30, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this keyboard work with a power pc running OSX 10.5.8?)
- Asked about: Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad …
Can I upgrade the mac I currently have? Running 10.5.8
- Asked by Elizabeth R from I Lion
- May 12, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I upgrade the mac I currently have? Running 10.5.8)
- Asked about: OS X Lion (10.7)
I have a MBP 2011 running 10.6.8. Will the new airport time capsule work with it? I want to use it for the router and backup.
- Asked by Meagan Q from Hopewell Jct
- Aug 30, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a MBP 2011 running 10.6.8. Will the new airport time capsule work with it? I want to use it for the router and backup.)
- Asked about: AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB