How is possible to connect a new Thunderbolt 3 port to an old Firewire 400 port?
I' have a new MacBook and must to connect an old audio board MOTU ultralite have only 2 audioWire female ports (with standard FireWire 1694- 400)
It's possibile to use the new thunderbolt 3 port? Downgrade of transfer rate is supported?
If it's possible, please, where i can found an adpater cable?
- Asked by Arnaldo P from Cagliari
- Flag as inappropriate (How is possible to connect a new Thunderbolt 3 port to an old Firewire 400 port?)
3 Answers from the Community
Apple sadly doesn't offer Thunderbolt 3 to Firewire adapters. But for a Thunderbolt 3 port, you should be able to use an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter, and then connect a Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter to that.
Unfortunately, the 2015 and 2016 MacBooks (not MacBooks Pro) do not have a Thunderbolt 3 port — it is merely a USB-C port. And there is no way to go from USB to Firewire in a sensible way; they are so utterly different protocols that you'd essentially need an entire computer to convert from one to the other.
(There were a couple converter boxes fifteen years ago that claimed to convert between USB and Firewire, but they only claimed to work for DV homevideo, and from all accounts, didn't really do that, either.)
- Answered by Chris H
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I have just tried an official thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adaptor, an official thunderbolt 2 to firewire adaptor and a firewire 800 to 400 cable and I can confirm that this does not work with the Macbook 12" usb c.
- Answered by Tom H from Werchter
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
You will need 3 adapters :/ tb3 to tb2 + tb2 to fw800 then fw800 to fw400. i imagine soon there will be a tb3 to fw400 or at least to fw800 cable made by Belkin or Moshi or one of those 3rd party adapter people.
be careful of USB type-c. it. the identical connector can be either USB 2.0, USB 3.0, USB 3.1 and also thunderbolt 3. plus i think some can do different variations of video out and some can do charge input...
also be careful of cables suggesting otherwise.. Thunderbolt and Firewire can never pass over any type of USB controller into any machine...
all the best
- Answered by Joel D from Prahran
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Will I be able to access all ports and devices connected to the ports on the back of my Apple Thunderbolt Display?
- Asked by Oscar V from Houston
- Nov 3, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Will I be able to access all ports and devices connected to the ports on the back of my Apple Thunderbolt Display?)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbol…
Will this adapter work to connect my Canon video camera, which has a DV cable port, to my mac?
- Asked by Lisa B from Mansfield
- Nov 7, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this adapter work to connect my Canon video camera, which has a DV cable port, to my mac?)
- Asked about: Belkin FireWire 800 9/9-Pin Cable +…
How do I transfer data from my iMac without thunderbolt (only firewire) to my new Macbook Air with thunderbolt?
- Asked by Arvin V
- Aug 14, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (How do I transfer data from my iMac without thunderbolt (only firewire) to my new Macbook Air with thunderbolt?)
- Asked about: Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2.0 m) - W…