Can you use a USB extension cable with the super drive? If so how long?
- Asked by Bardy H from San Diego
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you use a USB extension cable with the super drive? If so how long?)
3 Answers from the Community
Generally, no. The SuperDrive relies upon the Mac's built-in port, which provides more power than the standard USB specification. Consequently, most hubs and extension cables (even with external power) do not allow the SuperDrive to run, and you'll get a "device needs USB power" error. I have yet to find a solution for extending the tiny cable provided to work in my clamshell-docked MacBook Pro Retina 13 solution, which disappoints me to no end. I'm sure there's a solution that does work somewhere, but it will be a solution that allows the provision / transfer of beyond-USB-spec power down the line.
- Answered by Keith R from Arlington
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I've used a USB 3.0 extension cable I purchased from Amazon. It works. I have no idea, though, if it's safe to do. The Superdrive requires more current than a standard USB device, and so I don't know if I'm creating a fire hazard or risking damage to my devices. That being said, I only plug it in when in use and haven't had problems yet.
- Answered by Dara K from Minneapolis
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Like all USB products yes and as long as you can find with USB 2 or 3 compatibility
- Answered by Ben R from Riverside
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
can apple usb super drive work wirelessly through airport time capsule?
- Asked by Ryan C from Shillington
- Oct 15, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (can apple usb super drive work wirelessly through airport time capsule?)
- Asked about: AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB
Does this come with the long extension cable the 10w charger came with?
- Asked by Matthew M from Redondo Beach
- Oct 24, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this come with the long extension cable the 10w charger came with?)
- Asked about: Apple 12W USB Power Adapter
Will a shorter USB extension cable work with this cable?
- Asked by Casey B from Fargo
- Oct 17, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Will a shorter USB extension cable work with this cable?)
- Asked about: Lightning to USB Cable (1 m)