Backing up multiple computers, does time machine need same total capacity as joint disk space? Or if not that much data is 2TB version ok?
We have a 2TB and a 1TB iMac plus a 500GB MacBook Pro that I'd like to set this up as a backup for. We don't have anywhere near that amount of data, but I know when I've had dedicated USB external hard drives for Time Machine it was supposed to have the same volume as the machine's hard drive. Trying to see if we can get away with the 2TB version for financial reasons...
1 Answer from the Community
There is no easy answer. The short answer is, yes, it will pair with these devices for backups. However, the time range and number of backups will be limited as you accumulate more data. You will be able to use it, however, it will become unpractical as each of you computers hard drives fills up. I wouldn't recommend sharing it between more than 2 computers with large drives like yours.
- Answered by Joey P from West Lafayette
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
will this free up disk space on my computer?
- Asked by Janice L from Scituate
- Mar 18, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (will this free up disk space on my computer?)
- Asked about: G-Tech 1TB G-DRIVE mobile Thunderbo…
No answers yet
why is my Mac adding spaces after the letter I
- Asked by Taylor S from Stillwater
- Apr 25, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (why is my Mac adding spaces after the letter I)
- Asked about: OS X Lion (10.7)
No answers yet
When I back-up my macbook onto my current external drive using time machine, could I also include the photo files on this LaCie portable hard drive?
- Asked by Gail C from The Vines
- Apr 20, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (When I back-up my macbook onto my current external drive using time machine, could I also include the photo files on this LaCie portable hard drive?)
- Asked about: LaCie 1TB Porsche Design USB-C + US…