If I connect this to the USB-c input of LG Ultrafine 5K Display can I use my MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014)
I know the MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014) which is only TB - and would not expect full 4k - but need a new monitor and want to future proof as laptop will be replaced by new Air or Pro later this year
Alternative is something like LG 27UD88-W, but like the idea of improved potential resolution and webcam
1 Answer from the Community
The MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014) has the first generation of Thunderbolt and allows only 10 Gbps.
I believe 5K 5120 x 2880 @ 60 Hz requires more than 20 Gbps (almost 23). This will only work with Thunderbolt 3.
4K 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz requires more than 10 Gbps (almost 13). This will work with Thunderbolt 2 or later according to the document HT207448 "Use the LG UltraFine 5K Display with your Mac".
That document mentions a supported 3200 x 1800 @ 60Hz mode which I believe is less than 10 Gbps but it says that mode allows the display to work with the Mac mini (Late 2014) which has Thunderbolt 2 ports.
The document does not mention any Thunderbolt 1 Macs which should allow 2560 x 1440 @ 60 Hz, so I don't know what will happen in that case with the LG 5K display. I have read one review where 4K @ 30 Hz did not work on a Mac that had Thunderbolt 1.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Can I use both an LG UltraFine 5K Display and the Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch) with a Late 2016 13" MacBook Pro?
- Asked by Romain M
- Jan 18, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use both an LG UltraFine 5K Display and the Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch) with a Late 2016 13" MacBook Pro?)
- Asked about: LG UltraFine 5K Display
Can this connect through the LG UltraFine 4k Display to provide ethernet to the MacBook Pro with Touchbar?
- Asked by Matthew G from Denver
- Nov 12, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this connect through the LG UltraFine 4k Display to provide ethernet to the MacBook Pro with Touchbar?)
- Asked about: Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Ad…