mac pro to thunderbolt 3 display
I have a Mac Pro (2013 - desktop) that has Thunderbolt 2.
Can I get an adapter to drive a Thunderbolt 3 display? (Samsung 34" C34J79x Display)
- Asked by fn from Port Angeles
- Flag as inappropriate (mac pro to thunderbolt 3 display)
2 Answers from the Community
I bought the Thunderbolt 3 to TB2 adapter.
It worked just fine.
Mac Pro 2013 (desktop).
Samsung 34” curved Thunderbolt 3 monitor.
Plugged into Thunderbolt port on monitor. Sound works also
- Answered by Mark H from Port Angeles
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
If you mean the CJ79, then I think so.
Thunderbolt 2 supports DisplayPort 1.2. Thunderbolt 3 supports two DisplayPort signals but I think only one is used for 3440x1440@100Hz (30bit color) = 14.9 Gbps so Thunderbolt 2 should be sufficient and there should be remaining bandwidth available for the USB 2.0 ports.
Only the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter allows connecting Thunderbolt 3 devices to Thunderbolt 2 computers so this is the adapter you need.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Will this connect an older Thunderbolt 27" display to the new 16" MacBook Pro?
- Asked by Jami K from Castle Rock
- Jan 20, 2020
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this connect an older Thunderbolt 27" display to the new 16" MacBook Pro?)
- Asked about: Belkin 4K Mini DisplayPort to HDMI …
Can I connect 3 Apple Thunderbolt 2 displays?
- Asked by Adam P from Beverly
- Sep 17, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect 3 Apple Thunderbolt 2 displays?)
- Asked about: Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Express Dock H…