If I have a 3.5 mm plug on my device, can I use that for mic input and use this for headphone output?
In particular, I have a nice mic input that has cross-talk with the headphones. That goes away if I use Bluetooth headphones but they add latency. If I could send the signal out through this, I think I'd be all set.
4 Answers from the Community
I couldn't get the mic to work at all using the lightning port adapter with several different pairs of 3.5 mm headphones. So I'm 99% sure this wouldn't work. Sorry1 :(
- Answered by Jason L from Charlotte
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
In my experience, no you can't.
- Answered by Jalisa F from Brooklyn
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
I have tried many different headphone adapters from many different sources. It seems that only the official Apple headphone adapters also support the mic input (using a TRRS connector). It is also the only one that will support the volume control on the older 3.5mm Apple headset earbuds. I took apart one of my cheap headphone adapters and only found 3 wires that were soldered to the small circuit board. Just save yourself some time and money and get the original Apple Lighting to 3.5MM adapter. Also be careful purchasing this from Amazon. There are MANY listings there that are knockoff adapters that will not work properly. I won't say this often about products like this, but BUY APPLE!!!
- Answered by David R from Tenafly
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Only if you use the genuine Apple Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter. This from bitter experience with a lookalike from Amazon which emphatically does not recognize a microphone although it works with headphones. Hand on heart the Apple cable does work with a Rode 4-pole lavalier and an iPhone 11 Pro although I could not get that definitive answer in 10 minutes on the phone with an Apple support agent.
It's also essential to connect in the correct order.
1. Start recording app on phone.
2. Connect adapter to mic.
3. Connect adapter to iPhone.
No other sequence works!
- Answered by Rhoderick S from Marblehead
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
For iPhone 7 is it possible to have Audio input (for my microphone ) with Lightning Digital AV adapter while using HDMI output to a reference monitor?
- Asked by Robert A from Ashland
- Dec 13, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (For iPhone 7 is it possible to have Audio input (for my microphone ) with Lightning Digital AV adapter while using HDMI output to a reference monitor?)
- Asked about: Lightning Digital AV Adapter