Similar questions from the community
I want wi-fi access for my 2010 2.8Ghz mac pro. Should I buy Airport Extreme base station?
I do not have the following:
1) An AirPort card fitted - really expensive call-out charge and part
2) Would rather not run a cable throughout house to the router downstairs, as it is rented accomodation.
Will the Airport Extreme base station, pick up the wi-fi from downstairs?
Or do i definately need an ethernet cable draped all over the house to the Virgin Media router for a cheaper option?
(Have tried using a usb ralink but it has stopped working and want something more substantial)
What's the best option?
Thanks for any advice! It's such a headache knowing what to do!
do i need the apirport express base to connect to my mac OS 10.6.8 to get wi fi
I have gone into my Apple Mac on system preference for internet & wi fi sharing to see if I can set up wireless connect and when I get to the computer using box It does not show me a
box for wi fi.. It's has a choice for air port option.
I want to have my mac setup for both internet & wireless. Do I purchase the Airport express base station for this to work? I have eathernet modem. Will l need to call a mac tec to install or would I be able to do it myself. I know enough to be dangerous! Thank you
- Asked by Roberta H from Surprise
- Nov 9, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (do i need the apirport express base to connect to my mac OS 10.6.8 to get wi fi)
Does this include WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) functionality?
WPS functionality has been proven to be a security risk. Does the AirPort Express Base Station offer this functionality? And if it does, can it be disabled?
- Asked by Brian G
- Aug 20, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this include WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) functionality?)
do you need the airport extreme for the airport express to work
I'm thinking of buying a airport express to wirelessly stream music to my speakers but i was wondering if you need to have the airport extreme as well to make it work. thanks
- Asked by James H from Nedlands
- Apr 15, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (do you need the airport extreme for the airport express to work)
Can I use the AirPort Express with Mac OS X Server's RADIUS server?
I have installed Mac OS X Server on my MacBook Air and would like to create a Wi-Fi network that asks for a username and password with the RADIUS server. Can I use the AirPort Express or do I have to buy the AirPort Extreme?
- Asked by Samuel E
- Jan 25, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the AirPort Express with Mac OS X Server's RADIUS server?)
Can the new Airport Express Base Station extend the network from a new Airport Extreme Base Station AND use Airplay at the same time?
My old Airport Express cannot do both, you either have to set it up to create a network, join an existing network to extend it, or set it up for AirTunes. If the new one could do both, I'll buy it.
Can I use Airport Express to simultaneoulsy streatm music and extend my wi-fi network?
I want to extend my wi-fi network but I would also like to stream music. Will the Express serve both needs simultaneously?
- Asked by Dustin H from Bethesda
- Aug 13, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use Airport Express to simultaneoulsy streatm music and extend my wi-fi network?)
"Go the wired route if you want" - from AE's features description. Isn't it NECESSARY?
I am confused by this part of the Airport Express features description from the Compatibility and Security section: "Go the wired route if you want."
I've a cable modem, a Mac mini, an iPad and an iPhone. Presently, my modem is plugged into the mini which gives me online access for that device alone. I was going to order Airport Express which I understand will give me online access to all Apple devices, including the Mini (2007) through my own wi-fi network.
As part of such a setup, isn't it necessary to unplug my modem from the mini and plug the modem into Airport Express??
- Asked by Chrystal O from Duncan
- Oct 27, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate ("Go the wired route if you want" - from AE's features description. Isn't it NECESSARY?)
While using an Express Base station in BRIDGE mode, are both ethernet jacks on the express active and free to use with wired devices?
If a new Airport Express is bridging a network connection provided by an Airport Extreme, will it allow two devices to be wired to the express and "bridged" to the primary network? I would like to relocate a mac pro and xbox 360 on the other side of my house and would like to hook these two devices up to the network. Otherwise an airport express and a switch would work, so I have read, but I would like to keep it as simple as possible.
- Asked by Eric P from Clifton Park
- Sep 30, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (While using an Express Base station in BRIDGE mode, are both ethernet jacks on the express active and free to use with wired devices?)
Will the airport express work with the new 802.11ac Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station or should I buy the 802.11n Extreme?
Until a month ago, I was using an 802.11n Extreme and an airport Express to extend the signal. My 802.11 Extreme no longer works and I am looking to replace it. I am deciding between the n model and the new ac Extreme model. My most important question is -- will the airport express work with the new ac Extreme base station ?
If it does not, I will just by the 802.11n Extreme base station.
- Asked by Jonathan C from Cary
- Jul 27, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the airport express work with the new 802.11ac Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station or should I buy the 802.11n Extreme?)
If I extend wi-fi network from an Airport Extreme basestation via WDS to this unit, can both ethernet ports be used for networking non wi-fi devices?
can it extend my wifi network if this is my only airport base station?
I have a netgear router that may have he same type of thing as an airport extreme but im not completely sure...
- Asked by Melissa E from Olathe
- Jun 20, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (can it extend my wifi network if this is my only airport base station?)
Can Airport Express convert Wi-Fi to Ethernet?
I have a motorhome and we camp in areas that provide Wi-Fi. My TV is internet ready, but requires an Ethernet cable input. Can the Airport Express detect the Wi-Fi signal and convert it to Ethernet so that I can plug the Ethernet cable into my TV?
- Asked by Pamela J from Moody
- Jul 26, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Can Airport Express convert Wi-Fi to Ethernet?)
It seems the new airport express does the same things as the airport extreme base station. If this is the case why would I need the base station?
Can the AirPort Express Base Station replace a modem ?
My modem is kind of old and the internet is extremely slow, brings me flash back od the Dial up days. can i replace my old modem with a AirPort Express Base Station and will it work with no complications ?
- Asked by Lamont W from San Diego
- Aug 5, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the AirPort Express Base Station replace a modem ?)
Can the Airport Express Base Station with the IPhone 5
I have a new IPhone 5 and would like to know if this item is compatible or will work with the new IPhone 5 I just purchased? I don't always have WiFi access in my office at work so I'd like to stream Pandora internet radio to my IPhone5 so I can listen to it. Thanks.
- Asked by Norah S from Huntington Beach
- Oct 14, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the Airport Express Base Station with the IPhone 5)
can we use airport extreme used as repeater router
I am having a service provider wifi router as base station and recently purchased airport extreme.Is it possible to use it as repeater router to expand range of wifi network
- Asked by Milind S
- May 30, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (can we use airport extreme used as repeater router)