Questions & Answers for Eve Energy
15 Questions from the Community
This unit when left turned on will use a small amount of power in order to keep itself running. It will not have the connected unit (Lights, TV, etc.) run power through it. The reason it uses power is so that it can keep its communication running in order to allow you to wirelessly turn on or off the appliance
- Answered by Callum B from Holsworthy
- Sep 22, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can this be left switched on without it using electricity, until I switch on the device with my iPhone?)
You do not need a separate hub or bridge but you will require an in home Apple TV or dedicated iPad to allow you to control these devices or monitor their status when you are out of Low Energy Bluetooth range (i.e. remote operation), as is standard for HomeKit.
- Answered by Je M from Ajax
- Dec 18, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Do you need a hub?)
Can this be used with a 120v window AC unit?
- Asked by Bradley S from New York
- Jun 24, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this be used with a 120v window AC unit?)
The power limits of this device will only handle 1840 watts, so check your AC power specifications.
- Answered by Chaz B from Melbourne
- Jul 9, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can this be used with a 120v window AC unit?)
Can it be used outside where it will be in the weather?
- Asked by Kristofer H from Alexandria
- Jan 25, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (Can it be used outside where it will be in the weather?)
The Elgato Eve Energy cannot be used outside of a home or business unless it is located in a waterproof IP67 or IP68 sealed box.
- Answered by Maxwell F
- Mar 22, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can it be used outside where it will be in the weather?)
Can I use the HomePod to control this?
- Asked by Daniel B
- Mar 18, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the HomePod to control this?)
It's slower than other HomeKit devices. There's a 2-3 second lag before Siri reacts to your command. It's annoying that you're not sure if Siri heard you or whether Eve is just slow again.
But it does work.
- Answered by Kornel L
- Apr 16, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use the HomePod to control this?)
Does it need a constant wifi connection for timer to work
I want to use this in the kitchen to turn on a slow cooker in the middle of the day when I am out. I am assuming I can set a timer for it to come on at a specific time.
The wifi connection from the kitchen is quite weak so sometimes it drops out. Does the wifi connection need to be working at the time I have set for it to switch on, or does it simply only need to be connected to the wifi when I set the timer? So if I set the timer using my phone, and then later the router crashes, would the switch still come on at the time that I set it for?
- Asked by Kenny L
- Jun 15, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (Does it need a constant wifi connection for timer to work)
It uses Bluetooth LE for a connection with a nearby phone or tablet, or to stay connected through intervals with a designated homekit iPad or Apple TV. This product does not have a wifi radio, only bluetooth. It requires a homekit hub enabled iPad or Apple TV to allow the timers to be updated from outside your home. For this to work, you need to have the Eve Energy in bluetooth range of your homekit hub. The device stores the timer settings once they are setup.
- Answered by Julez E from Coningham
- Jul 28, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does it need a constant wifi connection for timer to work)
Book says 1800 watts max so i think you would be safe as long as you don't go above that
- Answered by Kevin M from Riveria Beach
- Oct 8, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What is the maximum power throughput? Could it be connected to monitor power usage of a power strip?)
Is it autovolt? Input / Output: AC 100-240 V or just 110 V?
- Asked by Daniel G A from Miami
- Jan 16, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (Is it autovolt? Input / Output: AC 100-240 V or just 110 V?)
Is this a UK plug or a continental one?
- Asked by Jack S
- Sep 27, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this a UK plug or a continental one?)
This one in the image is a US plug. There is, however, the same plug in a UK and in a continental version on the respective websites.
- Answered by Wolfgang K
- Apr 17, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is this a UK plug or a continental one?)
Is it possible to trigger this plug from an Elgato Eve Thermostatic Radiator Valve (TRV) based on the temperature in a room?
I would like to fit a TRV to one of my radiators and have the TRV trigger the plug to come on when the temperature drops and the TRV allows the radiator to come on. This will allow me to activate a heat pump in an adjacent open plan room where I have under-floor heating fitted.