Questions & Answers for Apple USB SuperDrive
191 Questions from the Community
Does any of the Apple hardware support bluray?
- Asked by John P F
- Jun 12, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Does any of the Apple hardware support bluray?)
This hardware does not support Blu-Ray, but it can support common types of discs like CD-R to DVD-RW.
- Answered by 奕仁 陈 from China
- May 8, 2019
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does any of the Apple hardware support bluray?)
- Answered by Georgina L from Melbourne
- Mar 26, 2019
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is it windows compatiable)
Got old CDs with photos I'd like to store in iCloud. Can I do this using iPad?
- Asked by Robert P from Huntsville
- Dec 16, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Got old CDs with photos I'd like to store in iCloud. Can I do this using iPad?)
will superdrive work with "iMac Pro" ?
- Asked by R. P from Edmonton
- May 29, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (will superdrive work with "iMac Pro" ?)
Want to create a wireless network, therefore, I would like to somehow plug the superdrive to a usb hub that can be reached wirelessly. Can it be done?
My thing is to create a wireless network where I can plug all the devices such as printer, superdrive, external hard drive to a hub that can be accessed wirelessly....so far I know that my printer can be thru the Airport express, however, I dont know if it can be done with the superdrive and the ext Hard drive. It would be so cool and super easy if this can be done so I can just roam around my house with my Macbook air, sit and work on my mac mini and just lets say play a movie thru mirroring on apple TV by wirelessly using the superdrive instead of having to plug it to the macs...am I too far advenced for this technology or is this just wishful thinking....???
- Asked by Michelle F from Chicago
- Aug 14, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Want to create a wireless network, therefore, I would like to somehow plug the superdrive to a usb hub that can be reached wirelessly. Can it be done?)
does super drive comes with thunderbolt connectivity
- Asked by Sukhminder P from Mississauga
- Oct 19, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (does super drive comes with thunderbolt connectivity)
does this work with the appleTv
Does the Apple usb Superdrive work with the apple tv to play DVD's
- Asked by Cole C from Lynwood
- Sep 24, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (does this work with the appleTv)
Can I download DVDs from SuperDrive to iTunes on my MacBook Pro with retina
Hi , on my old laptop I could insert a DVD into my reader/writer drive and import DVDs to my iTunes , so when I bought my new MacBook Pro , and went into iTunes I was surprised to see only the tunes I had purchased from the store , not the ones I imported from my own cd collection . So basically my question is if I buy the SuperDrive can I import my CDs to my iTunes account as I have a lot of CDs and I'm not purchasing again from iTunes , when I have the physical cd here , I will buy songs from iTunes I don't already own , but I want to know if I can add them to my iTunes account on my MacBook , not listen to them through the SuperDrive , I know I can do that , but can I import them permanently onto my MacBook , many thanks for replies in advance , john , new to all things apple lol
- Asked by John D
- Oct 14, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I download DVDs from SuperDrive to iTunes on my MacBook Pro with retina)
Is the super drive compatible with a MacBook Pro without retina display?
MacBook Pro 13-inch Mid 2012
Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB
Software OS X 10.9.5
- Asked by Steven N C from Brimfield
- Jul 14, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the super drive compatible with a MacBook Pro without retina display?)
Can I use to transfer photos saved on CD from old desk top computer?
- Asked by Sharon Louise S from Sherman Oaks
- Jan 8, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use to transfer photos saved on CD from old desk top computer?)
Does this drive support lightscribe?
- Asked by Clayton R from Saginaw
- Feb 23, 2019
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this drive support lightscribe?)
2009 iMac and USB superdrive?
The internal superdrive in my 24-inch, Early 2009 iMac w/2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor has stopped working reliably (and most times, has stopped working at all). Was hoping that adding this external USB superdrive would keep my system limping along, however looking at the system requirements seems to have dashed my dreams of being able to continue to use my iMac in the manner for which it was purchased. Would like to know if I am out of luck here, or is there an alternative?
- Asked by Joseph W from Lynn
- Nov 24, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (2009 iMac and USB superdrive?)
I just added a usb superdrive to my 2009 iMac 24", and like the others it did not work, as for the reasons given.
it seems that they only work with some macs.
Well looking round the net i found information on things to try nothing worked.
I then found a bit on a sudo command you put in with terminal.
ok your new superdrive dvd/cd rom want work on you mac?
it seems apple made this drive but its not back ward comparable with all macs.
Im told it works with 4 macs, that shipped without internal dvd/cd rom and a mac mini or two..
Well I found this in terminal type
sudo nvram boot-args="mbasd=1" Hit return
I rebooted my iMac and as the iMac was starting up it took the DVD that I had been trying to put in but all it did was push it back out.
Now with this little line of code script my USB superdrive is now working just fine.
I don't know much about this script code apart from what I read on the net, all I know it worked for me with no trouble I have wrote a few DVDS and wrote to a few re-writable CD and DVD with out any thing bad
hope it helps some of you out.
- Answered by Alan W
- Dec 15, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (2009 iMac and USB superdrive?)
Yes, you can. I'm doing this currently...
- Answered by Stephen R from Alexandria
- Dec 30, 2018
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can I use two different super drives for different regions, on my Ma Pro, e.g. one for Region 1 DVDs and one for Region 2.)
Burning DVD's & CD's on Macbook Pro Retina
I am about to purchase a macbook pro and am wondering about creating CD's and DVD's. I know that I need an external superdrive with the retina display. Is this all I need to be able to create and burn a DVD or a CD as I will have to do this as part of my job.
- Asked by Renee W from Ormeau Hills
- Aug 18, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Burning DVD's & CD's on Macbook Pro Retina)
Depends what you mean by "create DVD's or CD's" - The MacBook Pro with Retina Display comes with inbuilt software to let you do the basic functions (for example, burn music to a CD from iTunes, or iDVD, which lets you create DVD's from certain video files on your Mac) - for more complicated operations, such as copying DVD's or CD's, you will need additional software like Toast.
- Answered by Peter C
- Aug 29, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Burning DVD's & CD's on Macbook Pro Retina)
What is the power draw of the SuperDrive? Will a .5 amp hub socket provide enough power?
Am considering a USB-C hub for the iMac Pro which (hub) provides ,5 amps at its USB sockets. I know that is enough to charge an iPhone, but is it enough to operate a SuperDrive? Wouldn't this be the same power if I used a USB-C to USB dongle which Apple sells?
- Asked by John D from Shelburne
- Jan 9, 2019
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the power draw of the SuperDrive? Will a .5 amp hub socket provide enough power?)