Questions & Answers for AirPort Time Capsule - 2TB
579 Questions from the Community
Does this device stores movies as well?
Should I decide tp download music, movies, videos, and backup files, would this device do all of these things?
- Asked by Lapolean K from Creedmoor
- Jul 27, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this device stores movies as well?)
Regarding files, this device can act as two different things - a Time-Machine-enabled Backup device, or a Shared Network Hard Drive.
As a Tme-Machine-enabled backup device, it will back up everything from your Mac(s) at regular intervals. This includes all the files on your Mac - documents, movies, music etc. You can then use it to revert to previous versions of files, to restore deleted or damaged files, or to restore the entire mac from a backup. Note, if you use it in this way, don't expect to be able to browse or read your files as simple files. Time machine backs use a sparse bundle and file links. You can get to your files manually if you want, don't expect to be able to hook up a home media centre to access those files easily. They are managed by time machine, and really should only be accessed through the Time Machine software for restoration.
As a shared network hard drive, you can consider it to be a file server. You can access the hard drive, over the network (wired or wireless) from any machine on the network (Mac or Windows). As such, you could use it to store your music and movies and access them from anywhere, including from any home media centre that can access a shared network volume (i.e. not AppleTV).
You should use it for one or the other, not both. Note, you *can* do both, but you really should not. When used for Time Machine backups, it really likes to manage hard drive space itself. When the disk gets full, it deletes older backups. It works best when it is fully aware and fully in control of the drive space
- Answered by Vihung M
- Aug 19, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does this device stores movies as well?)
Can I connect my Airport Time Capsule to my WD media player
I already have a large collection of movies in mainly avi format, and I would like to store my movies on my Airport Time Capsule. I don't really want to go through the arduous task of converting ALL my movies to apple format, Can I connect my WD Media Player to the Time capsule via USB cable, and play my movies through that (ie media player accesses the Time capsule like an external hard drive)?
- Asked by Jo-ann F from Salisbury
- Dec 24, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect my Airport Time Capsule to my WD media player)
does it also work as a storage, ... or it only use for back-up.?
i am now using 15 retina macbook pro and i face with storage capacity. can Time capsule or airport Time capsule extend my storage ? or it only work on back up only.
- Asked by Natthawat T from Petaling Jaya Selangor Malaysia
- Jun 13, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (does it also work as a storage, ... or it only use for back-up.?)
I use the Time Capsule to backup two Macs via Time Machine. I also have several folders that I use for backing up my Parallels data directory. It works just fine in both capacities as a NAS and as a Time Capsule. I don't know why the previous person answering was having difficulty in using it the same way.
- Answered by Shawn F from Riverside
- Jul 22, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (does it also work as a storage, ... or it only use for back-up.?)
Can I use this with a BT Home Hub 5?
Can I use this with a BT Home Hub 5 to backup my computers?
- Asked by Warren R
- Feb 25, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use this with a BT Home Hub 5?)
- Answered by Christopher B from San Antonio
- Jun 13, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Do the new Airport Extreme and Time Capsule have a security slot for a cable lock?)
how many devices does airport time capsule support
I am planning to buy a 2tb time capsule....We use 13 devices iMac iPhones iPads etc. can it support all our devices and can we stores all our photo and movie files and access them remotely. Can we stream movies from time capsule to tv.
- Asked by Bill O
- Jun 1, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (how many devices does airport time capsule support)
It shouldn't have a problem supporting them. The only way to access and store data is through a Mac or PC running Windows 7 or later I believe. Macs use Time Machine to automatically back up all your data to the Time Capsule. I got one for Christmas for my brother and I to use and what's also nice is you can restore your Mac to any point in time since it makes separate back ups every time it backs up. What really determines the performance of your network also depends on your internet provider and loading speed. We're running a 50mb/s connection from Time Warner Cable and all our devices work just fine. We have two wireless printers, a PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, two MacBooks, three Dell laptops, an AppleTV three iPhones, and three iPads. We don't use these devices all at once but when we all use it at once, our network works just fine. You could have the world's best router, but if you have a slow connection from a bad provider, it's still going to be slow. And as far as streaming to your AppleTV, you're all set. The Time Capsule and Airport Extreme base stations are high- end wireless routers.
- Answered by Jesse H from Clarence Center
- Jul 24, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (how many devices does airport time capsule support)
Is airport time capsule UPnP capable?
- Asked by George S from Vancouver
- Mar 28, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Is airport time capsule UPnP capable?)
Can I partition a time capsule so that some is simply an external hard drive to expand the hard drive on my laptop?
My Air has only 60G of storage. I have maxed it out and want to add external storage. Can I use this hardware to accomplish that, plus to back-up the drive on my laptop and provide wireless routing?
- Asked by Barbara I from Cornish
- Apr 29, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I partition a time capsule so that some is simply an external hard drive to expand the hard drive on my laptop?)
Can you use the AirPort Time Capsule whilst on a commercial flight.
That is can you watch favourite videos, view photos etc using USB cable to macbook rather than WiFi?
- Asked by Matthew B from Hurstbridge
- Sep 28, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you use the AirPort Time Capsule whilst on a commercial flight.)
Can I move my current Timemachine files from my full external hard drive to a new Airport Time Capsule?
The current hard drive I backup to using Timemachine is full. I would like to get a newer Airport as my current Macbook supports Wifi-ac, so I was thinking of buying an Airport Time Capsule. Is there a way to move the existing Timemachine backup files from the full hard drive to the new Airport Time Capsule? This would free up the old hard drive for other use and consolidate my backups to one place.
- Asked by Dan L from Lake Forest Park
- Dec 11, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I move my current Timemachine files from my full external hard drive to a new Airport Time Capsule?)
Does the Time Capsule router create a physical firewall?
- Asked by Raymond A B from Myrtle Beach
- May 31, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Time Capsule router create a physical firewall?)
In previous models the broadcast power level can be changed. Can the power level be changed to a lower level on This model (10% - 100%)?
I live in an area w/ a large number of units. The power level variance is valuable as it will limit the reception area and potential interference and my maximum exposure.
- Asked by Adric M from Fairfax
- Jun 13, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (In previous models the broadcast power level can be changed. Can the power level be changed to a lower level on This model (10% - 100%)?)
Yes, look into the settings of the device via the admin program. You can also cheat by selecting another country which limits levels. All documented on the Net and not Apple's site.
Can the time capsule be used as a sort of media hub
I'd like to store my large collection of ripped DVD's on the time capsule. Id like to set it up so that anyone on my network can watch the movies, and also would like to be able to easily stream the movies to my tv's. I have apple tv, was wondering if this product is suitable for what I'm trying to do.
- Asked by John D from Manhasset
- Sep 16, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the time capsule be used as a sort of media hub)
If you can change the media format to be compatible with iTunes, you can set up your iTunes media folder to be located on your time capsule and then you can use it as a media hub. I do with mine, as long as my mac air is open, it homeshares to my Apple TV. Really fast too!
- Answered by Sharene M from South Toowoomba
- Sep 25, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can the time capsule be used as a sort of media hub)
CAN IT BE USE TO BACK UP PC?
I need work with Pc and mac, and i need to back up both.
- Asked by Paulo P from Heredia
- Apr 1, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (CAN IT BE USE TO BACK UP PC?)
Yes, but you must format it for cross-compatibility (NTSF)
- Answered by Robert G from Anacortes
- Apr 3, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (CAN IT BE USE TO BACK UP PC?)
Make a WiFi Network with a Data Card and Airport Time Capsule
I am considering buying a Airport Time Capsule mainly to have a back up of my iMac. But i now read that it can also be used as a router - so i am a bit curious if i can somehow use a DataCard to create a WiFi. I have been given an extra DataCard with my iPhone that i intended to use for my iPad and it connects to a 4G network with very fast upload and download. Is this somehow doable?
- Asked by Palle Kamuk N
- Mar 4, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Make a WiFi Network with a Data Card and Airport Time Capsule)
Speed concern when connecting Airport Time Capsule to a wireless N router
I have a 2wire 5012NV (wireless N) as main router. I would like to wirelessly bridge a 2TB Airport Time Capsule (wireless AC) to it.
Can I get AC speed when running time machine backup for my rMBP (wireless AC)?
How about attaching a NAS to the Time Capsule via Ethernet? What speed can I get if I want to access the NAS wirelessly? Does the transmission pass through the wirelss N main router?
- Asked by Fay Hong L from Singapore
- Apr 4, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Speed concern when connecting Airport Time Capsule to a wireless N router)
How do I know if files are backed up on my Airport time capsule
- Asked by Natalie D from Downers Grove
- Jun 2, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (How do I know if files are backed up on my Airport time capsule)
Can I use AirPort Time Capsule as a WiFi booster over my TM Unifi with an ASUS RT-N18U Wi-Fi router.
I am using TM Unifi with an ASUS RT-N18U Wi-Fi router. I would like to know could I use Apple AirPort Time Capsule to extend (repeater, booster) my Wi-Fi to a part of the house where the Wi-Fi signal is poor. Wile use the existing Wi-Fi network to access the internet. Hence I would like to connect the Airport Time Capsule to Asus over Wi-Fi. Or does it have to be by cable.
I am using MacBook Pro and also Windows Laptop in my home. But I will use the Airport Storage only for my mac media/photos. And use the Wi-Fi signal for both.
Please let me know the details and how to setup so I can decide should I buy the time capsule or not.
- Asked by Mohd O from Ampang
- Mar 14, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use AirPort Time Capsule as a WiFi booster over my TM Unifi with an ASUS RT-N18U Wi-Fi router.)