How can I connect 2 external displays to macbook air. I can connect 1 via the thunderbolt but need similar arrangements for the 2nd.
My external display is HP Elite Display E231 and has VGA, DVI and HDMI ports
5 Answers from the Community
I have 2 monitors connected to my MacBook Air, therefore I am working off of 3 monitors. I am able to use DisplayLink for the 2nd monitor hookup. DisplayLink has a new install for OS systems that allows the additional monitor so that the monitor operates independently and not as a mirror image. I prefer working with 2 large monitors & the MacBook Screen.
- Answered by Jody K from Buzzards Bay
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I am able to connect my macbook 12 inch to 2 external monitors, one with HDMI port and the other using wifi on an Apple TV. I run into small kinks in my system like the wifi based monitor has a small, sometimes unnoticeable lag, where as the monitor using HDMI runs flawlessly.
I run both external monitors as separate displays.
- Answered by Cory P P from Bismarck
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
While possibly not *perfect* - Corey PP from Bismarck is correct.
I have two Dell UltraSharp U2414H 24-Inch Screen LED Monitors connected to my MacBook Air 13" 2017 running High Sierra 10.13/6 and the set up is working great for me.
I had a different set up with these monitors that worked fine for the last couple years using a USB to HDMI adaptor (pluggable) for one monitor and thunderbolt connection for the other but since the 10.13 update the Pluggable usb/hdmi adaptor has been useless. (though the Pluggable folks were awesome at answering questions and trying to make things work...)
For the low price of an apple TV I was able to connect my second Dell via airplay and now my set up is better than before. I have a free USB port plus 3 monitors now since my old set up required mirroring and this set up does not.
- Answered by Molly S from Oregon City
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
it is an old post, but I was just wondering, how did you solve the 2 displays connection?
- Answered by Zlatan B
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
Nothing has changed from my original statement above in regards to adding more than one display to a MacBook Air. It just isn’t supported. Want 2 monitors? Get a MacBook Pro.
- Answered by Tony O from Austin
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 5
Can I connect a Thunderbolt 1 hard drive to the display (and therefore to my 2017 Macbook) via the apple Thunderbolt 2 to 3 dongle?
- Asked by Cortney F P from Summerfield
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect a Thunderbolt 1 hard drive to the display (and therefore to my 2017 Macbook) via the apple Thunderbolt 2 to 3 dongle?)
- Asked about: LG UltraFine 4K Display
Can I connect 3 Apple Thunderbolt 2 displays?
- Asked by Adam P from Beverly
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect 3 Apple Thunderbolt 2 displays?)
- Asked about: Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Express Dock H…