can the super drive work on a windows 8 pc
- Asked by Mark M from Chesterfield
- Flag as inappropriate (can the super drive work on a windows 8 pc)
5 Answers from the Community
I suppose this information might no longer be relevant to the original poster but it might still be relevant for others.
Essentially, yes, the superdrive will work on a windows 8 (or 7, or 8.1, or XP, etc...) pc on a powered USB port, just the same as it will work on a mac running bootcamp and windows 8. All you need to do is to the relevant install the drivers.
- Answered by Luis Miguel S
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Ignore anybody who says no based on the fact it can be only used on macs without a built in CD drive.
I have a mac with a CD drive and it is still possible to use it by modifying a file - do a google search for it.
Any apple hardware, inc. keyboards, mice and the superdrive will work on a windows machine - all you have to do is install the relevant bootcamp drivers as you would if you was actually using bootcamp on a mac. Superdrives and other external hardware don't discriminate on systems, they only do what the drivers tell them to do, and the drivers are made for windows.
- Answered by Graham B from Balzers
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Tricky situation ... Technically, is should be able to, (with minor Hardware modifications) as it is using a USB as a Connector, but, thou mentioned as MINOR modifications, its not so easy as it is made out to sound. But Apple have encoded the drive so it should be able to identify and reject any computer if it is not on the "APPROVED" list, which ironically include certain MAC computers as well.
It can be setup to be 'SHARED' over a WIFI Network as well.
But to be on the safe side, IF you intent to connect it straight to a Windows PC, 3.1 --> 8, I would have to say NO, it will NOT work with default Factory Settings.
- Answered by Thomas B from Shelton
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Apple it will not work because you can have any other things and if you try to put it it can't be on my computer
- Answered by Genaro T from Sto. Tomas Batangas
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
No the super drive is meant for MACS that do not have a inbuilt cd drive.
- Answered by Melissa R from Nowra Hill
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 5
Do I need this to work with super drive?
- Asked by Joseph M from Chicago
- Flag as inappropriate (Do I need this to work with super drive?)
- Asked about: USB-C to USB Adapter
Will this mobile hard drive work with Windows 8?
- Asked by Ove Eirik S
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this mobile hard drive work with Windows 8?)
- Asked about: LaCie 1TB Porsche Design Portable H…
Will this work on windows/PC?
- Asked by Guerry L from South Holland
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this work on windows/PC?)
- Asked about: Belkin Micro-B to USB 3.0 Cable